Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
378 Posts
True, my 708 will smoke any pre 2019 Grizzly 686, I haven’t gone up against a new one yet.
I have a 2018 708, and I can tell you you are not going to "smoke" a 686, they are essentially the same bike. With clutch mods, such as i have, yes I'll get the jump, but if that 686 had the same clutch work, again, it's even. Top speed is the same on both, and they reach it fairly fast, so that's a moot point.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Grizzled Mod
182 Posts
True, my 708 will smoke any pre 2019 Grizzly 686, I haven’t gone up against a new one yet.
If you go up and look at post #32, you'll see that I posted about the part numbers being the same on the 686cc engine starting in 2014. 2014 is also when the compression on the 686cc went to 10.0:1. When the 686cc came back in 2019, that is when the 6% gear reduction was announced but what is not known is if there are fuel mapping differences starting in 2019... and I'm tending to believe there may be only because all manufacturers are continually faced with EPA restrictions. Air intake is completely different between 14/15 and 19+.

What does all of this mean other than the obvious that part numbers match? I have no idea and I personally don't drag race to where top end is of importance. Pretty much everything I'm riding, high country trails/twisty trails is better served with good low end torque.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So i have a 16’ kodiak with a blown motor- pistons cracked and junk. What would it take for me to put a 686 motor pre-16’ into this 2016 kodiak? What other changes besides the physical block/motor?

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
I have no idea if the motors will switch with each other but I believe that they should. There may be a different fuel strategy between the two engines but that should be about all.

But I think that what I would do is to part out the old Kodiak and just purchase a new one. It may take a while to sell all the old parts but I'll wager that you would be able to pay for a new one if you did it this way.

·
Super Moderator
378 Posts
So i have a 16’ kodiak with a blown motor- pistons cracked and junk. What would it take for me to put a 686 motor pre-16’ into this 2016 kodiak? What other changes besides the physical block/motor?
Pretty sure you will need the computer and custom motor mounts. The frames are different between the pre 16 grizzly and the 16+ kodiak, they use the same a arms, but that about it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
823 Posts
You'd be better off getting your hands on the same 708 engine DOHC engine as your bike already has. (2016 to 2018) then everything will be streight forward and plug & play... Switching to a completely different generation of engine will add much more complications to your project. I.e. Different ecu, wiring harness, exhaust system, etc....

Reactions: CanadianKodiak700
41 - 46 of 46 Posts