Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Super Moderator
If you really want to see what the best oil change strategy is for these machines you really should do a oil analysis to see what the oil is doing, the wear metals in the oil, and the oil break down.

While I haven't done it yet on my Kodiak I drive a diesel truck and according to the manufacture I should change my oil anywhere from 3000-5000 miles. According to the oil analysis I could stretch the oil change out to 7000+ miles. I did run it to 6500 miles one time and sent in a sample and they said that everything was looking good and to extend it out some more.

If you are interested the company is Blackstone Labs and they will send you a free sample kit. The analysis is around $30 US and the turn around is quite quick. For our Canadian members I am sure that there is a lab north of the 45th that will also do it for you.

Registered
I read a post where for the first time a reference to the engine changes stated that the new 686 engine had 'forged internals' . Can anyone shed any light on this subject. If so this would seem to give a bulletproof design when coupled with SOHC layout. Educate me.

Super Moderator
I did a search on the 686 engine and could find nothing on it besides the normal Yamaha stuff on the engine specifications in the sales brochure.

Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27鈥 Reptiles, 1鈥 wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
I read a post where for the first time a reference to the engine changes stated that the new 686 engine had 'forged internals' . Can anyone shed any light on this subject. If so this would seem to give a bulletproof design when coupled with SOHC layout. Educate me.
Forged is what you want. That鈥檚 what all performance engines have. It鈥檚 the strongest rods / pistons / pins. It means it can take a licking. Doesn鈥檛 mean that the rings or cylinder actually wear any longer. Just that you won鈥檛 throw a rod or pin by ragging on it.

Registered
Understand but was unable to find any info as to whether the rods/crankshaft are in fact forged internals different from the previous gen 686 engine. 708 to the 686 changed back to SOHC from DOHC correct? This to me would imply change for reliability or for torque characteristics. Just looking to understand better.

Grizzled Mod
This is on the Australian site and chances are the same for North America. All new Grizzly EPS released | Yamaha Motor Australia

New 700-class engine
For 2019, Yamaha鈥檚 engineers have boosted the performance of the big bore Grizzly EPS even further, with more useable power. Grizzly now runs a new liquid cooled 686cc engine with improved engine response and lower vibration, noise and fuel consumption compared to the current 708cc engine.

In order to achieve this, a number of internal engine changes have been made including revised bore and stroke dimensions, a low friction plated cylinder 鈥 was cast iron - and the cast piston is now a forged item. A new air intake improves engine output especially in the key mid-range area while redesigned engine mounts make for even smoother running.
So mentions starting in 2019, the 686cc engine piston is now forged whereas the previous generation 686cc engine has a cast piston.

Registered
Thank you. If the piston and cylinder liner has been upgraded one would expect that the rod/crank would be upgraded to forged components as well. Just wanted to know so I don't ignorantly repeat incorrect info. Thanks.

Reactions: Jssrvlz

Registered
Hopefully the cylinder is not lined with 'BMW Nicasil ' what a disaster that was. LOL.

Grizzled Mod
Thank you. If the piston and cylinder liner has been upgraded one would expect that the rod/crank would be upgraded to forged components as well. Just wanted to know so I don't ignorantly repeat incorrect info. Thanks.
I would side on stating that it would be an assumption that anything other than the piston was forged. Having all of those internals changed to forged would be a marketing department's wet dream and I can't imagine it would be left out of a press release.

Registered
Now that makes sense to me. Also the use of forged rod and crank is most commonly utilized for higher RPM engines, since the engine changes Yamaha employed are advertised as improved low end and midrange it is less likely unless dramatic increases in torque are made. Not the case.

Grizzled Mod
And the plot thickens...

I just did a comparison on part numbers for a 2109 Grizzly and 2015 Grizzly under the Crankshaft Piston section. All part numbers are identical, including the piston. If you click on the piston part, it states that part is good on Grizzly 2014/15 and 2019/20 along with the associated Kodiak 700 models for 2019/20.

So either the part numbers are incorrect, or Yamaha never mentioned anything about a forged piston starting in 2014. Seems very strange.

Registered
Yup all part numbers for piston, crankshaft , cylinder, and head assembly are the same between 14 and 19s

Registered
My money is on 'RUMOR' as I completely agree that the marketing department would be making it well known. These changes are more likely in sport bike/racing products obviously. Thanks for all the great feedback.

Reactions: Jssrvlz

Registered
I'm going to bring my 16 in for a trade in appraisal within the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to parting ways with the 708.

Registered
Am sure that you will be very happy with the new 686. Seems to get better each time I ride her.

Registered
The 708 is a dual overhead cam design. The 686 is not. The SOHC produces more low end torque, but the DOHC produces more top end horsepower. The DOHC will win in a drag race!

Super Moderator
The 708 is a dual overhead cam design. The 686 is not. The SOHC produces more low end torque, but the DOHC produces more top end horsepower. The DOHC will win in a drag race!
Totally false.
The 708 will out preform the original 686, the new 686 has more midrange torque, the hp is identical. The new 686 bikes do supposedly have a 6% lower gear ratio. As far as a drag race, there won't be enough difference between them to make a difference. It will come down to the rider. Dohc vs sohc doesn't change the hp.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vincent

Registered
The distance that the drag race entails is as important a factor as any which motor proves the victor. Drag racing ' utility quads' is a bit lost on this guy.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts