Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's with the wrench indicator on the display?
The owner's manual shows it, but gives no description.

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
You have a code stored that is telling you that something is wrong.

I am not quite sure on how to retrieve them but count the light flashes when you first turn the key on. There will be short and long ones.

I'll see if I can pull up just how to do it from my repair manual.

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
Ok, when you first turn the key on don't start it but count the flashes. The first ones will be long ones followed by faster ones.

The first long flashes will be the first number in the code and then the short faster ones will be for the second number in the code.

here is a list of codes that can be pulled this way:

Attachments

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh,,this bike only has 150 miles on it. Again, I should have kept my 07 Grizzly.
Thanks Jim. I've saved the list of codes.
The wrench doesn't flash when I turn on the key. And, the check engine light lights briefly, like all of the other indicators, then goes out.

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
Sad to say but time to run it down to the dealer

They may have to use their code reader on it

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
This will likely be a simple fix and hopefully taken care of by warranty, but keep us posted, and good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lets hope for a simple fix. No warranty. I bought it used with really low miles.
I haven't really rode the bike yet. It'll go to the dealer, but not anytime soon.
I'll report back here when they find something out.
Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The dealer will likely have an upfront cost to check it out, I am assuming it is working fine? If so, negotiate the check up with the dealer or just ignore the light. Usually the problem is not going to do damage, but one never knows.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Is it possible on these new bikes that it’s just a indicator that its time for regular maintenance like a oil change? Try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and see if it resets.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm thinking along the same lines

·
Super Moderator
68 Posts
Owner's Manual says it is the Service Tripmeter, #2

Reactions: BrianinStLouis

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
Check in your owners manual and it may tell you what you need to do.

In my 2016-17 repair manual it does state that there are codes that are unreadable through the light flashes and need to be read by the code reader. And that code reader is Yamaha only, I haven't even seen any for sale on the secondary market.

I haven't heard of a maintenance schedule that will be indicated by the lights, but on a newer machine you never know. That's what the owners manual is good for, it will give you a lot of information on that specific model.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The quad seems to run fine. I've only run it for about 10 miles. Currently,mileage is 144.
I'll disconnected the battery the next time I have it out. Going to be near 100 degrees today.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You shouldn't need to disconnect your battery to reset the maintenance display.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had that on my 19. One of the buttons is a reset. Press and hold for 3 seconds. Sorry I don’t remember which button...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RedRocket translated the manual correctly.
It's like a 3rd trip meter.
I reset trip A, the wrench was still present.
I reset trip B, the wrench was still present.
I reset the maintenance trip, which I didn't know existed, now the wrench is gone. I suppose it will come back when I reach 1 mile.
Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It seems to me there are 4 selections to keep track of the miles.
Odometer.
Trip A.
Trip B.
Maintenance. When I cycle through these via the center select button, the wrench shows when in the "maintenance screen".
Since all the mileage meters had the same mileage, nothing had ever been reset to zero and I suspect the display was set to the maintenance mode all along.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts