Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to get my Kodiak cleaned up so I can get a good look at what may be wrong with my Warn VRX winch, way too much mud in there at the moment!

Was going to use it on Sat to move a tree off of one of the trails, unlocked the cable and pulled it out about 15 feet and attached it to a strap I put around the tree, locked it back and hit the in button and...nothing. When I use the button to let it out it works ok but not the return.

Either I have something loose, which I am doubting because it does work one way, or maybe the switch itself has gone bad.

Super Moderator
When I had that happen one of the connectors had come undone going to the relay controller.

Reactions: Madmax and Jssrvlz

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the Warn VRx is getting replaced...

Never had any problems with it and then all of the sudden it turns into a piece of crap on me. I thought it might just be the switch, no, replaced and the same. A buddy said it's the solenoid, he has a good one to try so if it works I can buy his or just order a new one, no, still the same.

Went to unlock the winch and the whole lock/unlock mechanism pops off in the floor...a real mother to get it back in correctly.

I'm not messing with it anymore.

Registered
Well that sucks, so what winch are you thinking about buying next ?

Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27鈥 Reptiles, 1鈥 wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
Wow!! How much mud did you go through?!?!?
sorry that happened. At least you aren't stranded in a hole.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll probably be going with a Superwinch, everything I've read about them has pretty much been positive...we'll see, but it's just more $ I didn't need to let go of.... The one I'm looking at has the synthetic rope and wireless remote. The remote isn't all that necessary but it will help getting the rope spooled back up correctly without someone holding the button for me.

The Warn definitely saw a lot of mud but 98% of the time I clean everything up really well after a ride, the only times I don't is if I'm headed back out the next day for the same.

Well that sucks, so what winch are you thinking about buying next ?
Wow!! How much mud did you go through?!?!?
sorry that happened. At least you aren't stranded in a hole.

Grizzled Mod
There are youtube videos out there showing that some Warn winches have issues where mud and muck get into the lock/unlock knob and starts to degrade its ability to function and/or work. Recommended to clean it out but also doesn't give me much confidence in at least the lower end Warn winches, maybe all of them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking inside mine (after the lock/unlock knob decided to jump ship) it was all very clean, no dirt etc.

There are youtube videos out there showing that some Warn winches have issues where mud and muck get into the lock/unlock knob and starts to degrade its ability to function and/or work. Recommended to clean it out but also doesn't give me much confidence in at least the lower end Warn winches, maybe all of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts