Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just bought a SuperWinch Terra 3500 SR winch and KFI mount for my 20’ 700EPS. I see where a lot of people mount the solenoid on the back of the mounting plate. I know Superwinch says it’s a sealed solenoid as well. But I’ve seen on here and some grizzly forums that guys try to mount it somewhere higher and hopefully dryer. What’s everyone thoughts? Is it necessary to try and keep these solenoids out of the mud and water?

·
Super Moderator
1,957 Posts
I'll let someone that likes to get their Kodiak wet give you the right answer but here is my nickles worth.

Unless you place it into the storage box that is fairly dry it is going to get wet no matter where you put it. Water isn't going to care if it is 6 inches higher than on the back of the mount. But then also if you place it into the storage box you have then compromised it's water resistance by drilling holes in it.

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
Water will not harm it, these aren't the she electronics from 20 years ago that failed due to any moisture more than a popcorn fart.

The contactirs are usually either potted in epoxy or conformal coated, designed to operate submerged if need be.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have my Terra's solenoid mounted under the hood. It is a tight fit. I probably wouldn't do it again. I would just mount it as high as I could get it under the plastic somewhere ,if I was doing it again.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I drilled holes in my KFI winch plate,no problem..

·
Registered
101 Posts
My 2017 700 EPS has the contactor mounted on the back of the mounting plate by the Stealership and have not had any problems out of it at all, when I put a winch on my 2020 Base model I mounted the contactor under the hood next to the battery, why, just because there was free space, and it wasn't crowded under there so why not.

Steve.........

·
Registered
2021 700-EPS, EHS tuner/airbox, HMF Titan, Warn 2500, 52" plow, 1" spacers, front basket, rear box.
511 Posts
I chose to mount the relay on mine under the hood, just to the left-front of the shifter assembly. There's enough room there on the 700 EPS to secure it firmly against the tubular frame, and I used hose clamps to attach it. Worked out great!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put mine in the depression next to the battery. Bolted through the plastic with a big washer, used two of the holes and it’s solid, after wiring, adding a piece of foam under the battery holdown to add support.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
429 Posts
On my Grizzly, the winch plate came with holes drilled to mount it behind the plate. That worked nice.
On my Kodiak, it did not come with these holes drilled. I looked everywhere for a spot, and finally decided on the back of the machine, above the tank, but below the seat. Everyone thinks I’m crazy, but all the wires fit perfect, they are zip tied really clean to the frame, and it’s tucked away from everything. I decided I like it, even if everyone else doesn’t. Lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think you're crazy because I just mounted my contactor under the seat too right where the cheezy tool kit was. I cut the 4 large cables to the exact length and crimped on new ring lugs for the contactor connections. Dressed the cables along the frame neatly and ziptied. I know folks have said the contactor is completely waterproof but for a bit of extra labor its nice to know all the mud and crap are not getting all caked up in there around the contactor if it was mounted right behind the winch. Maybe we are just both crazy!

·
Registered
‘21 700 Raceline wheels and 26s - ‘19 450 1.5” lift, 27s, Warn VRX, Monster CVs - ‘18 450 Stock
87 Posts
I just put one on my 450. There was no spot, or room on the mounting plate behind the winch so I put it under the seat right behind the battery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts