Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
2021 700-EPS, EHS tuner/airbox, HMF Titan, Warn 2500, 52" plow, 1" spacers, front basket, rear box.
Man, I dig that front basket too! That little hummer could prove to be quite useful in my world, and the price isn't bad neither. But the shipping cost???? Good googlie-wooglie! Even right here in the U.S., they want more for shipping it than the price of the basket itself, and that's ridiculous!! That silly thing doesn't weigh but 20 lbs.! Hell, I had four 27" Bighorns shipped here for free, and they weighed triple that amount! No sir! Nice basket, but there's just gotta be a better way than spending $300 USD.

UPDATE/CORRECTION: I just learned from the on-line merchant (HighLifter) that you could order direct from StrongMade, to save on shipping, which I tried to do earlier, but their phones were down. Anyway, I eventually got through to them, and I was able to order this basket a few minutes ago (including shipping costs) for under $200. Yaaah-who! 馃槉

Super Moderator

Registered
2021 700-EPS, EHS tuner/airbox, HMF Titan, Warn 2500, 52" plow, 1" spacers, front basket, rear box.
Did you think of looking on Amazon? There are all kinds of baskets for our Kodiak's on it.

Yeah, thanks Jim, but I did look there. No luck. No StrongMade products to be had there, but it's all good! As best I can tell, the only aftermarket merchant that sold them on-line (the SM-230W specifically), was HighLifter, and their Checkout page was all screwed-up. But StrongMade sold direct. It was about $35-$40 higher, but the UPS Ground shipping was only $17, compared to $164 quoted by HighLifter, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Super Moderator
I understand, it is the pits when you are looking for one type of design and can only find it in one place.

Over the years I have learned to get by with lesser products and then once I get them and see a flaw or where I need to add strength I drag out the grinder and welder and go to work.

I may end up just getting one of the drop basket designed ones for the rear rack and take a good look at it to see what I need to do to get it to where I like it. My front rack has a Koplin box on it so I need to add something to the rear, but once I do that I'll need to pay attention to going up hills if I have anything in it since it will throw the balance off.

Registered
Up or down steep hills? Great point! I had not thought of that, and fortunately, most of my riding is bear level of slight grade, but I'm guessin' a set of bungees oughta resolve most of that.

Super Moderator
Adding things to the front rack over the tires or the rear rack over the tires would be best way to do things.

But when things are starting to hang off of the front or the rear and you plan on going up or down hills you really have to pay attention to the weight distribution. A friend had a large box with around a hundred pounds of junk bolted to his rear rack. He told me one day that the box had saved him a few times when his ATV went over backwards. I asked him if it would of went over backwards if he didn't have that box on the back full of junk?

Registered
I have been very happy with my Superwinch 3500. My question is about the synthetic rope though. I love the synthetic rope and I use my winch often. The problem comes when using it for plowing snow. The rope wears through and breaks several times through out the winter. Is there anything I can do to fix that? I've replaced the rope at least 3 times now, with different brands, and the same results.
Check out the plow/winch strap from KFI- Got 2 years on mine, no problems. Installed on a Honda Pioneer with 6' blade.

Registered
Not sure I'm using the right terms - does it make a difference to use hauser instead of the roller leads? I've seen the solid metal blocks, but my winch came with the round roller leads on all 4 sides. Would a synthetic rope last longer using the solid block instead?

Registered
Not sure I'm using the right terms - does it make a difference to use hauser instead of the roller leads? I've seen the solid metal blocks, but my winch came with the round roller leads on all 4 sides. Would a synthetic rope last longer using the solid block instead?
I use an aluminum hawse fairlead. You can also get a roller with composite rollers. I am sure some use the steel rollers but I wouldn't. Personal choice I suppose.

Super Moderator
Yes a synthetic rope should ideally be used with a hawse fairlead, and yes it will last longer. But when it comes to using a plow, it's the angle of your rope that's causing your breakage.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

21 - 32 of 32 Posts