Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. With all the winch discussion going on I felt that we could have a winch selection thread. Black Betty (700 EPS SE) came with a Warn winch and I bought another Warn for use on the rear. Thinking about a trailer winch I bought a "Noname" 4500# winch for it. It looks pretty good actually with a synthetic line, mounts, controls, wires, etc.. I'll post pics and such as I move through the process. Please add any winch selection experiences here if you like.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'll be going with the hazard fraught 2500# unit when it's time.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I narrowed down to two choices based on build quality. Those being the warn provantage and superwinch terra. 2 very similar winches in terms of construction but with one big difference. Price, the warn name added too much of a premium to the price so I went with the Terra.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been very happy with my Superwinch 3500. My question is about the synthetic rope though. I love the synthetic rope and I use my winch often. The problem comes when using it for plowing snow. The rope wears through and breaks several times through out the winter. Is there anything I can do to fix that? I've replaced the rope at least 3 times now, with different brands, and the same results.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have been very happy with my Superwinch 3500. My question is about the synthetic rope though. I love the synthetic rope and I use my winch often. The problem comes when using it for plowing snow. The rope wears through and breaks several times through out the winter. Is there anything I can do to fix that? I've replaced the rope at least 3 times now, with different brands, and the same results.
I use a 2" boat winch strap for plowing.i broke the wire rope several times before switching to a strap for plowing.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
What kind of plow do you have? Is it front or center mounted?

The angles of how the rope or line goes down to the plow mount and then back make a huge difference. I am running a front mounted plow and am using a different pulley location rather than straight down to the mount. It makes a world of difference and after 3 years of plowing I have seen no wear on the steel cable winch line.

·
Registered
2021 700-EPS, EHS tuner/airbox, HMF Titan, Warn 2500, 52" plow, 1" spacers, front basket, rear box.
511 Posts
I use a 2" boat winch strap for plowing.i broke the wire rope several times before switching to a strap for plowing.
I went with 2" boat strap also and I'm very pleased with it. The spool on my Warn VRX-2500 easily held the full 20-feet of strap without having to cut it, and I ended-up rigging it somewhat differently than others that I've seen. I modified a 2" wide boat trailer roller and attached it to the push-tube assembly, instead of attaching it to the front bumper. So the strap (with hook) comes out of the winch, goes down and under the roller attached to the push-tube, then back up to a high anchor point strap on the front rack. All of the angles worked-out great and it operates the plow like a hot knife through butter!

Of course I recognize that this sort of (strap) arrangement won't work for everyone, since 20-foot of strap severely limits use of the winch for other (non plow) applications. It basically becomes a more-or-less 'dedicated' plow system.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ended up going with a Runva 2500 package from Home Depot. Don't have my 4 wheeler yet, but the winch looks really well put together and came with a bunch of extras. Came with:
  • Kit includes: 250 Amp solenoid pack, 2.3M handle bar switch, 2.3M hand held switch, in. Y in. connector, roller fairlead, 1/4 in. hook, 1/2 in. shackle, mounting plate, 2M tow strap, 2-ton snatch block, wire protector and 3.2 ft. 200 Amp wires x 4
For 170 bucks, it appeared to be a really good deal, and saves me having to buy snatch blocks and another tow strap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What kind of plow do you have? Is it front or center mounted?

The angles of how the rope or line goes down to the plow mount and then back make a huge difference. I am running a front mounted plow and am using a different pulley location rather than straight down to the mount. It makes a world of difference and after 3 years of plowing I have seen no wear on the steel cable winch line.
I have a center mounted plow. Since I run tracks in the winter, I also had to extend the push tube forward about 10 inches to clear the tracks when the blade is angled. I also moved the attachment point for the winch rope closer so it is nearly straight down from winch. The normal attachment point would have been really far forward and that created a huge amount of stress since it was pulling it back much more than up. I think running tracks will make a front mounted plow impossible.

The modified push tube was used for just this last winter. I only broke the winch rope once, but we didn't have a lot of snow either. Previous years the push tube was non-modifed, attachment point several inches ahead of the winch, and the rope was breaking about 4-6 times a winter.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
On my old Kodiak I had the center mount plow and the line went down to the plow mount and then back up to a bracket mounted to the bumper. I broke one winch line where it passed over the roller right out of the winch. I replaced it with a oversized roller and didn't ever break another steel winch line.

My front mount plow had the winch line following a similar route. I removed the pulley directly under the winch and put in one that is close to the blade. Now the line goes from the winch to the base of the blade on a shallow angle then through the pulley and anchors near the front rack.

I inspect the winch line before and after I mount the plow and haven't seen any sign of any wear on the cable.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 700-EPS, EHS tuner/airbox, HMF Titan, Warn 2500, 52" plow, 1" spacers, front basket, rear box.
511 Posts
Amazon $110. It comes with everything except a wired remote

Untitled by Koko Pelli, on Flickr
BLAM!!! An 'excellent' choice! Powerful, cost-effective . . . I need to get me one of them, and mount it to my drone, so that I can troll with some of my heavier weight marlin lures the next time I'm down in Key West. (y)

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BLAM!!! An 'excellent' choice! Powerful, cost-effective . . . I need to get me one of them, and mount it to my drone, so that I can troll with some of my heavier weight marlin lures the next time I'm down in Key West. (y)

hahahahaha

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yeah, Bro! Seriously! I am ALL-about, "drone fishing"!!! It's becoming all the rage, up here!

There are guys draggin' lures across the surface of our lakes up here with drones, miles from shore, and they're hooking-up some seriously worthy fish. If you had told me 40-years ago that such a thing was possible, I would have said that you'd been sniffin' too much crack! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my 2020 Kodiak 700, I installed a Champion 4500 lb winch model 14560 which I got for $166 on Amazon. It came with both wired and wireless switches plus a fairlead but I have since replaced the included fairlead with one with an oversized roller, flipped with the big roller on top. I needed to reduce the kink while using a Swisher dump bucket since it pulls the line to about 90 degrees when the bucket is up.

By the way, though rarely used, a wireless remote proves its value when, say, trying to pull a metal fence post from the ground, for example. Let's just say I'm glad I wasn't sitting on the quad when it broke free!

See original installation write-up here.

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can you do a review of that little front end loader you got. Looks like something I just have to have..

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
I plan to once I've broken it in some.
Take it easy with that bucket, every bike I've seen with a bucket on it using either a front or a bottom plow mount location has ended up with severe frame damage a blown front suspension. These bike are designed to push snow, not lift it or soil or aggregate.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nomad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I use it fairly sparingly, mostly to move large amounts of brush and light amounts of already loose dirt from the far reaches of my property. I never intended to dig with it. I have carefully removed the topmost layer of weeds from a small section of yard with it, but mostly I use it in place of a wheel barrow, rather than treating it like an industrial loader.

The vast majority of the time, the vehicle is equipped with a rear mounted implement lift and the two can't be installed simultaneously.

I have harrow, plow and rake attachments for this and I'll post my observations with all of this once I gain some more significant experiences with it. For now, All I can say is that this sure beats the hell out of traditional yard tools!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts