Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I probably didn’t read enough reviews... I bought the Tusk winch for my Kodiak. It gets great reviews, but nobody on here seems to have it. I’m struggling with the wiring portion. The solenoid box for it is HUGE... seems like most people are mounting it to the back of the winch plate. I was wondering if anyone has it mounted in the rear, on the underneath side of the seat compartment. Seems to be an open area that stays semi-clean, and the wires should go up & down the frame rail pretty easy. Thoughts? Is the plastic heavy enough to hold it? I was planning on some washers for sure.
I keep reading about these connectors “all ready for the winch” and I just can’t figure out what they refer to. Doesn’t seem to exist on mine... ?? Must be I’m mis-understanding.

·
Registered
561 Posts
You may not have many options if it is like you said “huge”, I mounted mine under the hood by the battery to the inside of the front fender. Most guy’s look for a spot where it will stay dry, even though most of the mounting plates have a spot for it behind the winch.

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
The plastics should be strong enough but I wouldn't depend on just washers. I would use a piece of bar steel on the backside of where I planned to mount them.

As for the connectors, look for a couple of bullet connectors with nothing connected to them below the fuse box area

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
I mounted mine in the storage bin. One 7/8" hole through the very front of the box and a couple pieces of double sticky tape and she was done. It's now 100% out of sight and mind.

·
Super Moderator
934 Posts
Just mount it to the back of mounting plate like it's supposed to be mounted. No need for it to be a dry location, newer solenoids/contactors have the internals are conformal coated if not potted in silicone. It's not like the old days when all you had was a plastic box glued together to prevent water from getting inside.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just mount it to the back of mounting plate like it's supposed to be mounted. No need for it to be a dry location, newer solenoids/contactors have the internals are conformal coated if not potted in silicone. It's not like the old days when all you had was a plastic box glued together to prevent water
Ive had mine mounted to the mounting plate for 2 years. Not 1 issue yet. But i do understand preventative measures

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I did end up trying the behind-the-seat position. Fits nice actually. If I have any issues, I will go for the winch plate location. Appreciate the tips!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts