Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked my dealership (which has been less than useless when it comes to help) and they said they don't know, so if anyone is familiar with the Yamaha warranty I just want to know if adding an LED bar will void the warranty. Sorry for the stupid question but the auto parts best me has a **** of a deal on them for the week and I was deciding if I should pick one up.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
With only a 6 month warranty why even worry, or did you get a extended warranty?

On the outside it could cause problems with the battery, charging system, and or wiring. So if it cause problems with any of that they they could deni the warranty on that system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The six month runs out in December but I've been having some issues so I thought about taking out the extended just to cover my a**, I just don't want to do anything to jeopardize the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
If I was you and having problems I would get everything documented by the dealer and save everything related to those problems. Then even after the warranty is gone you might have some recourse to get the problems fixed if they are not taken care of beforehand.

On the lights and heated grips, I would have no problem installing them but instead of tying them into the existing systems such as the lights I would place a relay to power them. The heated grips that I purchased came with the instructions saying to tie them directly to the battery, but if you do that you run the chance of killing the battery if you don't turn them off. So I just placed a relay that was powered by a key on hot wire. Naturally everything is fused as a just in case.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
On the relay part 99% of all add on electrical parts should be ran through a relay using the battery as the power through the relay to the accessory. You just use a tap into the lights or key on source to power the relay. This way you will not draw more amps than what you are tapped into for the power to the relay or accessory are rated for.

And yes I know that LED lights draw a lot less amps than a conventional light but that little bit more plus whatever you are tapped into may blow the fuses and leave you in the dark a long ways from home or a vehicle.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I put heated grips and led bar on mine and it never voided any warranty. I waited before going up 2" in tire size though. Any more than 1" will void it.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Wiring relays is really quite easy to do. If you have any questions about it let us know and we'll walk you through it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put heated grips and led bar on mine and it never voided any warranty. I waited before going up 2" in tire size though. Any more than 1" will void it.
Seriously? I got 27" Mud Lite II'S put on mine before ever picking it up from the dealership and he never mentioned it would hurt my warranty, in fact he offered me a free extended warranty instead of a free winch when I bought it.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Seriously? I got 27" Mud Lite II'S put on mine before ever picking it up from the dealership and he never mentioned it would hurt my warranty, in fact he offered me a free extended warranty instead of a free winch when I bought it.

That would be on "Your" dealer. Odds are if you took your Kodiak into any other dealer for a warranty issue it would be denied.

It happens all the time. A car or truck dealer will add all kinds of aftermarket items that might affect the stock warranty and then when something breaks because of them they will take care of it but take it to another dealer and it will be on your dime.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts