Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
62 Posts
@Vincent Exactly. For each wheel, you would need, at a minimum, upper and lower a-arms, shock and axle. Possibly longer brake hoses. It would be pretty costly, and time consuming, to replace all of that. Figure in one would also probably not re-use ball joints, choosing to go with new. Just seems like a lot of added expense and hassle. I would choose to just get Elka shocks and leave the suspension alone.

·
Registered
600 Posts
@Vincent Exactly. For each wheel, you would need, at a minimum, upper and lower a-arms, shock and axle. Possibly longer brake hoses. It would be pretty costly, and time consuming, to replace all of that. Figure in one would also probably not re-use ball joints, choosing to go with new. Just seems like a lot of added expense and hassle. I would choose to just get Elka shocks and leave the suspension alone.
Agreed! Much easier to simply buy a Grizzly in the first place! Lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ride both machines as they do feel and handle differently. I personally do not like the way the Grizzly runs compared to the Kodiak, I don't like the gearing and the fact that the engine seems to be screaming all the time but I am also not bajaing the crap out of it, I trail ride and hunt from it so I like the quieter smoother performing Kodiak gearing. I actually swapped the weights from my Kodiak to a set of Grizzly clutch weights and then swapped em back, made the machine so damn loud. Its all in personal preference as to what you want out of the machine. Plus the grizzly feels like your up higher, the seat and the handle bars and the Kodiak fits me better. You really need to drive each one before you decide. There are little things you can do like shimming the primary on the Kodiak to give it a little more low end grunt without changing the entire gearing too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I like a responsive machine as much as the next person however my woods are very tight. Lighting quick throttle response is a detriment in that scenario. Go ahead and mock me..but the 450 with its leisurely throttle is much more pleasant and precise hauling out a heavy load. Both as well as the Grizzly are rated for 1322 lbs. Limitation is obviously the CVT unit. However I use the 700 with the heavier loads. Just feels like less strain. 450 owners need not hang our heads. Mine does everything I ask of it.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts