Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting one on just not sure. I want synthetic and 3000-3500 lbs. The super winch is half of the warn. What you guys think?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Which winch

Yammypower did you go with the 3000 vantage warn winch for any reason over the 3500 Provantage winch? Did it fit no problem? Also what winch mount plate did you use? I just picked up my 2016 Kodiak EPS and I'm trying to decide what winch to go with 2500? 3000? 3500? So many choices. This is my first ATV and first winch install so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yammypower did you go with the 3000 vantage warn winch for any reason over the 3500 Provantage winch? Did it fit no problem? Also what winch mount plate did you use? I just picked up my 2016 Kodiak EPS and I'm trying to decide what winch to go with 2500? 3000? 3500? So many choices. This is my first ATV and first winch install so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
the 3000 series if plenty for the bike! and im not sure what plate i got on the bike got it when i got winch was part of deal!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
the 3000 series if plenty for the bike! and im not sure what plate i got on the bike got it when i got winch was part of deal!
Hello,
I recently purchased a 2016 kodiak 700 eps se and mounted a Warn Provantage 3500 winch. I have a Honda 450 Foreman with a 3000 lb winch and it has operated without issue. I did want to go with the Provantage for the lifetime warranty. I do not expect to remove it if it breaks and send it to Warn for repair. What I am hopeful of is that Warn built in a bit more into the unit so I do not have to do so. (Alternatively, for the pessimists, Warn just adds in more money to the selling price as insurance for the claims that do occur and so they can cover them adequately.) In any event, Warn has been a good brand for me and if you want pulling power, mount it well and use snatch blocks and pulleys to add pulling power. Also, I am an advocate of syn rope over cable as the snap back issue goes away.

Either way, to answer your question, the fit is tight but fine, and I purchased a KFI p/n 101275 mounting plate. It fits nicely and you do not otherwise need the flat plate supplied in the Warn package. What is key to know for this installation is that there is a Yamaha part to allow one to tap into the 12VDC keyed system and do so without splicing. The part is Yamaha 5KM-86171-00-00 and sells for $11.95 + 9.95 frt or better if you can find it. The part makes it so easy to get into a key-driven circuit and allows a later addition via a second portion of the "y" if you need it. Well worth the money, and cannot be mis-installed.

Hope that this helps.
Kevin

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello,
I recently purchased a 2016 kodiak 700 eps se and mounted a Warn Provantage 3500 winch. I have a Honda 450 Foreman with a 3000 lb winch and it has operated without issue. I did want to go with the Provantage for the lifetime warranty. I do not expect to remove it if it breaks and send it to Warn for repair. What I am hopeful of is that Warn built in a bit more into the unit so I do not have to do so. (Alternatively, for the pessimists, Warn just adds in more money to the selling price as insurance for the claims that do occur and so they can cover them adequately.) In any event, Warn has been a good brand for me and if you want pulling power, mount it well and use snatch blocks and pulleys to add pulling power. Also, I am an advocate of syn rope over cable as the snap back issue goes away.

Either way, to answer your question, the fit is tight but fine, and I purchased a KFI p/n 101275 mounting plate. It fits nicely and you do not otherwise need the flat plate supplied in the Warn package. What is key to know for this installation is that there is a Yamaha part to allow one to tap into the 12VDC keyed system and do so without splicing. The part is Yamaha 5KM-86171-00-00 and sells for $11.95 + 9.95 frt or better if you can find it. The part makes it so easy to get into a key-driven circuit and allows a later addition via a second portion of the "y" if you need it. Well worth the money, and cannot be mis-installed.

Hope that this helps.
Kevin

Thank you very much for responding. You have pretty much help me make up my mind on going with the Warn, I want to be able to depend on this thing for a really long time. I will definitely order the wiring harness you listed to make installation go smoother.

Thanks
Nate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The winch install went well.

So I finally got the Warn vantage 3000 installed last night and it went together pretty well. I drilled 2 holes in the back of the winch plate and mounted the contactor on there which worked out pretty nicely. except I got it all installed and forgot to plug in the handle bar switch that was a tight squeeze getting those put on. I had to redo a couple of the wires since the blue and yellow cable that go from the winch to contactor are like 5ft long and they only need to be about a foot long. In the installation instructions it say's to use boots for covering the bolts where the wires bolt on but my winch didn't come with any so I didn't put any on? Just wondering if anyone had the same issue and should I boot them or just leave it? Also that little 2 plug Yamaha wiring harness worked perfectly! Thanks guys for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have four of those rubber boots from a previous Warn install and can send them to you, n/c of course, and then you can decide if you want to put them on. I live in MN so the shipping should be one day. Let me know. Kevin

·
Registered
627 Posts
Been running the superwinch Terra for almost a 16 months now. No regrets and when I get a sxs, it will get a Terra installed in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 Kodiak 700. Has anyone mounted a rear winch w/receiver on? And if so what parts did you use??

·
Super Moderator
1,255 Posts
Just where were you planning on it mounting to? The receiver or bolted to the frame? Either location would be a custom job.

The first thing that I would look for would be a winch that has either a remote or cable that will plug into it or both.

If you want it mounted into the receiver then you would need a short piece of 2" square tubing along with a plate to weld to the top of it along with a way to mount relays onto for the winch to operate. It would be close to the same for one bolted to the frame. Then for both a piece of # 8 gauge wire to run to the battery and a short piece bolted to the frame for a ground

I believe that there are a couple of members on here that have done a rear winch and they should chime in to give you some ideas.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I am going to do it soon. I will be welding the mounting plate on top of the 2" receiver. There is a YouTube video where a guy runs 2 winches on a Polaris off the same solenoid and a three way toggle switch. I have to find the video again because I will be hooking mine up the same way.

·
Super Moderator
1,255 Posts
Were they using the toggle switch for the control wiring going to the handle bars?

I guess they would have to. It wouldn't be that hard to figure out, I'd just have to sit down with a piece of paper and draw it out to figure how to do it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
He had the front and rear winches hooked to the toggle. I believe it was a double pole switch. In the middle , there was no power to either winch. When moved to the left it powered the front winch and powered the rear when moved right. He used a buzz bar as well and still used the handle bar mounted winch switch. The video is still up. I just can't seem to post a link with my iPad.

·
Super Moderator
1,255 Posts
I think that you would want a double pole double throw switch. It could have a center off or not depending on what you wanted. It wouldn't be that hard to wire up you would just have to intercept the wires from the handle bar switch and run them to the toggle switch. The winch control wires would come off of the center post of the toggle switch and the rear winch controls would go to the other outer terminals.

I'm thinking that there are just two wires from the handle bar switch.

·
Super Moderator
1,255 Posts
Something like this

1 - 20 of 29 Posts