Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself collecting and will be buying parts for a bunch over this winter. I’ve bought a used low milage coop machined sheave (thanks kodiakafishyo) , and while I am in there I decided to add the brass wet clutch slugs/ weights from JBS performance for added bite , also bought a Harbor freight synthetic winch rope. What I plan to buy is 501 grabber diff lock ( waiting patiently for holiday sale ) will be installing units in mine and wife’s machine Also planning a diy rear differential brace install on both. I’m going to lighten my cvt rollers also figured I would try and diy lighten them myself so we will see how that goes. Figured if I mess them up I’ll just buy some, nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose.So what future mods do you have planned ?

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
122 Posts
A whiskey bent metal worx exhaust tip and installing 1.5mm of shim are the only 100% for sure mods im planning right now.

If i notice burnt belt on the sheaves when I do the shims ill be looking for the next strongest spring, and I've been mulling around the idea of going slightly lighter on the weights.

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
771 Posts
A whiskey bent metal worx exhaust tip and installing 1.5mm of shim are the only 100% for sure mods im planning right now.

If i notice burnt belt on the sheaves when I do the shims ill be looking for the next strongest spring, and I've been mulling around the idea of going slightly lighter on the weights.
You may not need to change weights if you install a stronger spring...

What do the 450s run for weights now a days? Before the 2018 resurrection they ran 14 gram weights in stock form.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You may not need to change weights if you install a stronger spring...

What do the 450s run for weights now a days? Before the 2018 resurrection they ran 14 gram weights in stock form.
They're either 16 or 18 gram weights nowadays, i don't remember exactly.

I just feel like I could benefit from a slight increase in cruising rpm, it would make life easier for the 450 carrying 400lbs of people and gear and turning 140+ lbs of wheel&tire. Especially up hills and through holes where switching gear would be total overkill.

My only experience swapping to lighter weights was on an old 50cc moped I rode to work, and it had tremendous results. My 13 mile commute had its fair share of hills where my 40-45mph cruising speed would drop to 25 or so.. swapped to lighter weights and my commute got 10 whole minutes faster. Also picked up around 5mph on flat ground. All the 50cc mopeds shift way too soon, weights are the #1 mod in that community, sheaves/springs are more last ditch efforts before youd buy a bbk.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They're either 16 or 18 gram weights nowadays, i don't remember exactly.

I just feel like I could benefit from a slight increase in cruising rpm, it would make life easier for the 450 carrying 400lbs of people and gear and turning 140+ lbs of wheel&tire. Especially up hills and through holes where switching gear would be total overkill.

My only experience swapping to lighter weights was on an old 50cc moped I rode to work, and it had tremendous results. My 13 mile commute had its fair share of hills where my 40-45mph cruising speed would drop to 25 or so.. swapped to lighter weights and my commute got 10 whole minutes faster. Also picked up around 5mph on flat ground. All the 50cc mopeds shift way too soon, weights are the #1 mod in that community, sheaves/springs are more last ditch efforts before youd buy a bbk.
What Vincent is saying is a heavier secondary spring will delay up shift. So kinda like installing lighter weights. The reason I didn’t install lighter weights in our 400/450 is they had enough vibration / rpm as is. Adding lighter weights would increase the engagement rpm of the cvt as well as the cruising rpm . now obviously the newer 450’s i am sure are smoother but just something to consider.

·
Registered
771 Posts
What Vincent is saying is a heavier secondary spring will delay up shift. So kinda like installing lighter weights. The reason I didn’t install lighter weights in our 400/450 is they had enough vibration / rpm as is. Adding lighter weights would increase the engagement rpm of the cvt as well as the cruising rpm . now obviously the newer 450’s i am sure are smoother but just something to consider.
Exactly... On my old 550 grizzly, switching from stock spring to the epi orange was a major change! It gained 400 - 500 rpms when cruising. Maybe I just had a weaker spring to start with, or a stronger then usually epi orange, but in this case it was a bit too much for my taste. I ended up switching the stock 16 to 18 grams weights. Ran that set up with my coop45 sheave +0.5 shim for over 5000miles.

Same with my 2019 grizzly 700. I added a purple epi spring. It reved sooo much off take off, I felt like I was in low range every time, but not in a good way. I took it off and went back to stock spring ...
In my opinion my bikes 18 gram weights, machined sheave, and the 2019s 6 % gear reduction, the purple was too aggressive for my needs.

But hell, that the fun of experimenting with all this. You won't know until you try a bit of everything, and hopefully you find what's best for you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I suppose I just didn't realize just how much of an effect on cruising rpm the spring had. No worries though, order of clutch work will be shims,spring, THEN potentially weights so well see! Thanks for the info

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I'm waiting on the 2R Tip and EHS airbox and tuner updates. Both are inbound, so it won't be long. I'm excited!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts