Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently rode some trails that allow for many many miles of wide open throttle riding.

Naturally, I took advantage of that and rode probably 5-6 miles wide open and had the overheat light come on. [a 450 will do 50mph with 28"s and 400 pounds of people and stuff on it by the way]

So I shut her down, let the fan run for a couple minutes, started the motor for a second to circulate coolant, shut it down again with the fan running.. blah blah blah no big deal. It didn't take long for the light to disappear.

My question is what the title states; what trips the overheat light and at what temp? Is it a head temperature or coolant temp? Oil temp perhaps? The experience has made me want to install (at least) a real coolant temp guage. Koso sells a digital one that's lit up for easy reading, id probably go with that one.

Super Moderator
On the 700 there is a coolant temperature sensor that is installed into the block just above the thermostat.

I have no idea if it is the same design on the 450 or not.

I have had my 700 all the way up to 206 degrees without the light coming on. I do have a aftermarket gauge with my aftermarket gauge cluster so I can see just what the temperature is.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll poke around and see if I can see the same sensor setup on mine.

Would a service manual detail temperature figures you think?

Super Moderator
I glanced at my manual and I didn't see anything but I just looked at the cooling system diagram to see where the sensor was on the 700.

It might indicated a temperature in the troubleshooting side of it. When I get some time I'll take another look.

Reactions: Blmpkn

Registered
The only time ive seen my temperature light.
I had a nice layer of mud blocking the radiator, once I cleaned it, Ive not seen a light again

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only time ive seen my temperature light.
I had a nice layer of mud blocking the radiator, once I cleaned it, Ive not seen a light again
The radiator looks fine, I've been trying to keep it as clean as I can.. but it's certainly possible its getting plugged up in areas the hose can't reach well.

I plan on doing some disassembly to the point where I can really clean it and make sure all the fins are free of crud soon, as well as making some additional shrouding/inner fenders to protect it from tires slinging mud all over it.

Super Moderator
I looked in the 700 manual and didn't see anything about what temperature triggers the light.

A little bit of crud can make a lot of difference in cooling with such a small radiator and cooling system.

I know on my 700 that it runs between 194 when the fans shut off all the way up to 206 when they turn on.

Grizzled Mod
@Blmpkn since you seem to be in mud holes from time to time, you may want to consider getting, or building something such as this Radiator Genie that allows getting to the back of the radiator for cleaning too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Blmpkn since you seem to be in mud holes from time to time, you may want to consider getting, or building something such as this Radiator Genie that allows getting to the back of the radiator for cleaning too.

Thats neat! I'll have to pick one up and try it out.

Premium Member
I looked in the 700 manual and didn't see anything about what temperature triggers the light.

A little bit of crud can make a lot of difference in cooling with such a small radiator and cooling system.

I know on my 700 that it runs between 194 when the fans shut off all the way up to 206 when they turn on.

That鈥檚 what mine does... I鈥檓 looking for a nice tachometer. Possibly an old school dial. Anybody know os a nice add-on tach?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts