Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change my oil on 2016 Kodiak 700 Base I just purchased.

Parts fiche says this takes a Yamaha B16-E3440-00-00 but thus part is not available.

Does Yamaha have a new part number or even a suggestion on a decent aftermarket?

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
It is a Wix 57040 or NAPA 7040

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil Filter

Thank you for the replies on the oil filters. That helps since I am 50 miles from closest dealer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ditto on the WIX. Going with Lucas 10-40 Semi-synthetic after top-end rebuild.

I run the WIX and Rotella T6.

Ron is yours a new style 700cc Kodiak or one of the older models? Just wondering if its the new style how many miles on your machine to require a top end rebuild already.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Top end

I run the WIX and Rotella T6.

Ron is yours a new style 700cc Kodiak or one of the older models? Just wondering if its the new style how many miles on your machine to require a top end rebuild already.
There is an extensive thread about oil smoke on startup. Mine's a 2016. Basically, there r some motors that had bad valve guides which caused them to wear prematurely, allowing oil to leak into the cylinder after shutdown. It would then blow blue smoke on start-up periodically. Yamaha admitted the problem to the dealer, told them to also bore the cylinder and install over-sized rings (which they did) because some also had bell-shaped bores. So basically I have a new top end. But it cost me almost 700.00, which Yamaha told me I should be thankful for because the entire bill was over 3K, shoulda brought the extended warranty yadda yadda yadda don'tcha just love us.. F**k 'em. I love the machine but not the corporation. Here's the link to the thread http://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/2...ve-guide-issues-some-16-grizzlys-kodiaks.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
A curious side note. Upon getting the machine back from Yamaha the engine sounded "noisier", rattles and such. Looked at the repair bill to see what oil they used, Yamalube 10w40. I put Lucas semi-synthetic 10w40 in last night and the thing is quiet as a mouse. Baffles me.

·
Registered
757 Posts
A curious side note. Upon getting the machine back from Yamaha the engine sounded "noisier", rattles and such. Looked at the repair bill to see what oil they used, Yamalube 10w40. I put Lucas semi-synthetic 10w40 in last night and the thing is quiet as a mouse. Baffles me.

Switching mine to shell rotella t6 synthetic 5w40 has caused mine to run noticeably cooler.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Switching mine to shell rotella t6 synthetic 5w40 has caused mine to run noticeably cooler.
I'm taking mine on a trip to Eastern WA next week, I'll get a chance to see if it seems cooler. Much hotter there than here on the coast.

I ordered the K&N Air Filter YA-7016 today.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That is shitty to hear I guess that is a risk we take buying the first year of a new model we get to be their lab rats to test out their new designs. Knock on wood I haven't had this issue yet with my 2016 model...

·
Registered
37 Posts
That is shitty to hear I guess that is a risk we take buying the first year of a new model we get to be their lab rats to test out their new designs. Knock on wood I haven't had this issue yet with my 2016 model...
Even shittier that I'm out 700 dollars. I love this machine. I know **** happens but Yahama at least could have ponied up for all of it. I was ready to shell out for a brand new one while it was being rebuilt but the dealer had none on the floor. Gave me time to go home and rethink. I'll ride this a few more years (if it holds up) and purchase new machine. Would like power steering. Gotta painful shoulder. Power steering would do it good (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts