Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kolpin hand guards, Heat Demon hand and thumb warmers, rear cargo box, 27" Maxxis Zilla tires on 12" rims, engine coolant heater, full aluminum skid plates underneath bike, nylon winch cable, 2" lift front and back. 10" Rigid LED light bar on order!

·
Registered
631 Posts
OK, I will put it on. I got a fairly good price on it, so I bought it, and when I went to install it, I got a bit concerned. I think the hook on the end weighs more that the rest of it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I will put it on. I got a fairly good price on it, so I bought it, and when I went to install it, I got a bit concerned. I think the hook on the end weighs more that the rest of it!
I have had a quad before this one and i was stuck in deep mud! Winched myself out with my nylon cable and never broke

·
Registered
362 Posts
The only negative thing I've read about nylon rope is someone went mudding and didn't wash his atv off afterwards. Several days later everything dried up into a ball and he couldn't unspool the rope.
So if you don't like to wash your atv after running it in the mud steel cable is better but if you don't mind washing your rig the nylon should be good. I like the idea of less weight over the front tires.

·
Super Moderator
1,324 Posts
The only negative thing I've read about nylon rope is someone went mudding and didn't wash his atv off afterwards. Several days later everything dried up into a ball and he couldn't unspool the rope.
So if you don't like to wash your atv after running it in the mud steel cable is better but if you don't mind washing your rig the nylon should be good. I like the idea of less weight over the front tires.
Sounds like an exaggerated story, there is no way you would get enough mud in there to prevent unspooling. Wet cable or synthetic freezing together happens, but synthetic actually breaks free easier because it flexes way easier than steel. The same theory should apply to mud dried on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like an exaggerated story, there is no way you would get enough mud in there to prevent unspooling. Wet cable or synthetic freezing together happens, but synthetic actually breaks free easier because it flexes way easier than steel. The same theory should apply to mud dried on.

i agree 100% i have heard that if your synthetic cable is wet after a ride you should unspool entire cable and allow to dry because theres a chance the cable can weaken from staying wet

·
Super Moderator
1,324 Posts
i agree 100% i have heard that if your synthetic cable is wet after a ride you should unspool entire cable and allow to dry because theres a chance the cable can weaken from staying wet
Water will not weaken it, the fibers don't absorb water, it would only stay between the strands. That in no way will weaken it. Abrasions an constant exposure to UV light would be the only real way to weaken it. Possibly some kind of chemical probably would eat it since it is a plastic, but has and oil seem to have no effect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Water will not weaken it, the fibers don't absorb water, it would only stay between the strands. That in no way will weaken it. Abrasions an constant exposure to UV light would be the only real way to weaken it. Possibly some kind of chemical probably would eat it since it is a plastic, but has and oil seem to have no effect.

that makes allot of sense 👍 thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 base model
2,140 Posts
One nice thing about a wire cable is that if it breaks I can weave another eye into it without loosing very much cable

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
561 Posts
they suck for plowing in an out constantly they break faster than cable i found but are easyer to tie in a knot
I have had just the opposite experience. I have never had my synthetic winch ropes break using them many years for plowing. And generally broke steel cables 3 times a winter then they got replaced with synthetic rope, problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
2,140 Posts
The thing with plowing and using wire cable is to avoid sharp loops through pulleys that will kill a cable faster than anything else.

On my 2000 Kodiak I broke one cable in 15 years and that was it. But like everything even nylon winch line you have to inspect it and if it starts to fray you either need to repair or replace it

·
Super Moderator
1,324 Posts
they suck for plowing in an out constantly they break faster than cable i found but are easyer to tie in a knot
That is completely wrong. Synthetic is far superior to steel for plowing. That's one of the biggest selling points. A steel cable will break before synthetic of equivalent capacity. Each time you stress the steel by winching in a bit too far, that steel stretches, and remains stretched until it finally snaps. Synthetic will stretch, then return to its original size.

·
Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
453 Posts
My experience has not been good with both steel cable and synthetic rope for plowing. This all came about when I switched up my plow from an original 52" plow on a mid-mount to my current plow, 60" front mount. The 60" plow is also a lot taller but the force required to lift the plow if far greater than the mid-mount 52". I solved my issue by going with a 20' tow strap, cut in two. I've been using the same 10' section of tow strap for 4 years now, still going quite strong. And I have a second 10' section of tow strap for when the first one wears out. I do have pictures of the setup from my old Grizzly but would need to find those pictures if anyone is curious to see them. I also added a keel roller to my front bumper to slow down the action of the plow. Only downside I can see with my setup is removing the synthetic rope and stringing on the tow strap for plow duty, but that only needs done once in winter, reversed once in spring. If I go trail ride in the snow, I just bring my 50' synthetic rope with me in the storage box and try not to get stuck ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,324 Posts
Oh yeah, a strap is far superior to any cable. Alot of people have issue with cable breaking on front mount plows, it's that extreme angle. I think I'm going to have to come up with a pilot system next winter when I modify my plow to work with my tracks

·
Super Moderator
2,140 Posts
I have the front mount Warn Provantage plow and used the original mounting for the winch line one time. I quickly ordered the optional pulley that mounts further forward towards the blade and then up to the strap. Doing it this way cuts down on the angle coming out of the winch itself along with the angle back up to the strap.

Sofar in 3 years of plowing I haven't seen any problems with the winch line starting to fray.

But if I would of stayed with the original way that the cable would of been ran I'm sure that there would of been

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had just the opposite experience. I have never had my synthetic winch ropes break using them many years for plowing. And generally broke steel cables 3 times a winter then they got replaced with synthetic rope, problem solved.
yes ive broken steel alot also when the ends old in the end syn would be easyer to deal with on the trail id say tie it in a knot is easy in a pinch

·
Super Moderator
2,140 Posts
It's a quick fix to place a eye back into the winch line and it will be just as strong as the original. Then all you need is a little tape to wrap the loose end, no tools are needed unless you want a clean cut on the end

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.