Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you done to your Kodiak before you saw the "What did you do today" thread?

I know there's a thread asking what you did to your Kodiak today. This thread is all about what you've done to your Kodiak before you saw that thread. For example, I've owned mine since April 2016 and have done quite a lot to it before I ever found this forum. Since I didn't do that stuff 'Today" it doesn't really fit in that thread.

So what I've done: I'm a bit of a "Maker". I don't like to buy stuff when I can make stuff, because I'm cheap and making stuff is more fun. Since I bought this bike I've made:

Winch mount (Pics #1 through 4)
Kimpex Click & Go 2 frame mount (I didn't make the click & go, just the mount for the bike) (Pic #5)
2" trailer hitch receiver (Pic #6)
LED Shifter light (yes, I made the light, I used to make LED police lighting) (Pic #7)

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then there's the stuff I've added that I bought:

A horn (yes, it sounds corny, but really comes in handy when trying to get the attention of a rider in front)
Back seat and fender protectors/foot pegs (pic #1)
LED backup lights that come on when shifted into reverse (pics #1 & 2)
Windshield
LED "steerable" lights mounted to the windshield (who needs EPS?) (pic #3 & 4)
LED rear compartment lights
LED "angry eyes" accents over the headlights (pic #5)
Winch for the winch mount
GPS mount w/ USB charging
Heated grips & thumb thing

Attachments

Reactions: Link

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
That LED shifter light gave me a idea. I usually fill up my ATV after dark with 5 gallon cans and it can be difficult to see just how much fuel you have in your tank and you usually end up spilling some.

I might have to rig up a light like that near the fuel tank so that I can see just what I am doing. I think that the hardest thing would be to figure out where to mount the switch so that it doesn't get turned on by accident.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And finally, the plow. I made this plow out of a 100-lb propane cylinder. It fits onto the Kimpex Click & Go 2 mount that my father gave me when he bought two by mistake.

Pic 1: The propane tank
Pic 2: Cut up
Pic 3: Starting to weld the bits together
Pic 4: the bracket/reinforcement. Excuse the spattery welds, I only have a flux core welder
Pic 5: How it attaches to the Click & Go
Pic 6: the rough plow attached to the bike
Pic 7: Finished and painted. I painted around the "Flammable" label because it looks cool
Pic 8: Lifted (just have to find some trip springs, I've got chains installed temporarily
Pic 9: Front view

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That LED shifter light gave me a idea. I usually fill up my ATV after dark with 5 gallon cans and it can be difficult to see just how much fuel you have in your tank and you usually end up spilling some.

I might have to rig up a light like that near the fuel tank so that I can see just what I am doing. I think that the hardest thing would be to figure out where to mount the switch so that it doesn't get turned on by accident.
I wired the shift light into the tail light circuit so it's on whenever the headlights are. If you do something like this, be sure to use an LED, as a normal bulb gets hot and if you splash gas on it you might have a fire

·
Registered
627 Posts
i bought my Kodiak 700eps in August of 2015. I then added (in order of installation)

Superwinch Terra 25 winch on a warn mount
Kimpex outback rear seat , fender guards and pegs
Heat demon dual zone heated grips and thumb throttle
Kimpex 7" 36watt combo led lightbar
27" maxxis zilla tires
Powermadd star series handguards

·
Registered
65 Posts
And finally, the plow. I made this plow out of a 100-lb propane cylinder. It fits onto the Kimpex Click & Go 2 mount that my father gave me when he bought two by mistake.

Pic 1: The propane tank
Pic 2: Cut up
Pic 3: Starting to weld the bits together
Pic 4: the bracket/reinforcement. Excuse the spattery welds, I only have a flux core welder
Pic 5: How it attaches to the Click & Go
Pic 6: the rough plow attached to the bike
Pic 7: Finished and painted. I painted around the "Flammable" label because it looks cool
Pic 8: Lifted (just have to find some trip springs, I've got chains installed temporarily
Pic 9: Front view
Now that was nicely done it looks better then most plows out there, looks like a lot of work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought 2 Kodiaks last October. One base in green the other base in camo.

On the camo I added the following so far:

-RAM Garmin GPS mount
-Kolpin detatchable gun mounts
-Yamaha hitch receiver
-Moose RM4 Plow Mount
-Warn winch
-Moose 55" plow with pulley

I also bought but I still need to install:

-Yamaha camo seat cover
-Yamaha hours meters with tach

I installed the plow mount/winch/etc. I had one problem with the winch mount spacers being too thin, but fixed that easily. The other issue I has was that the winch wiring kit was way too long so I used the longer blue and yellow wires as the battery feed and shorter red and black for the winch relay. I found help identifying which accessory wire to use for the plow switch power on youtube.

I do have one complaint about the RM4 mount and winch mounting plate. The pin for the RM4 is supposed to be inserted from above, but the winch plate blocks that from happening. Instead I install the pin from below and use a zip tie to keep it from falling out by running it through the ring on the pin. This works great, but it means I have to lay down on the ground to remove/reinstall it...not a big deal but at 53 I try to avoid the ground as much as possible!

·
Registered
627 Posts
i bought my Kodiak 700eps in August of 2015. I then added (in order of installation)

Superwinch Terra 25 winch on a warn mount
Kimpex outback rear seat , fender guards and pegs
Heat demon dual zone heated grips and thumb throttle
Kimpex 7" 36watt combo led lightbar
27" maxxis zilla tires
Powermadd star series handguards

Edit: forgot Kolpin universal gun/saw boot mount. Also have the Kolpin gunbootIV and saw boot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
not a big deal 1but at 53 I try to avoid the ground as much as possible!
At 68, its even more fun. I plan all my "ground" work to be done on the same day then simply use the "help, I have fallen and cant get up" button and wait :>)

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
not a big deal 1but at 53 I try to avoid the ground as much as possible!
At 68, its even more fun. I plan all my "ground" work to be done on the same day then simply use the "help, I have fallen and cant get up" button and wait :>)
At 64 I experience this every day. And it doesn't get any better when your doctor changes a med on you until you get used to it.

Reactions: TerryG1#

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where did you find the hot lead for the backup lights???
At the indicator light in the warning light cluster. I have the lights powered off a relay, so I didn't add any appreciable load to the indicator switch in the transmission. Perhaps some evening this week I'll pop the front cover off and get a pic of the wire I tapped into

Reactions: TerryG1#

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got a 2016 Kodiak and I've put
Hmf exhaust with programmer
Highlifter snorkles
12" sti hd3 wheels
Led headlight conversion
28x9.5x12 outlaw tires all around
Warn winch and mounting plate

Reactions: Link

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got a 2016 Kodiak and I've put
Hmf exhaust with programmer
Highlifter snorkles
12" sti hd3 wheels
Led headlight conversion
28x9.5x12 outlaw tires all around
Warn winch and mounting plate
When you say you did an LED headlight conversion where did you find the bulbs? Which bulbs did you get?

·
Registered
34 Posts
When you say you did an LED headlight conversion where did you find the bulbs? Which bulbs did you get?
I did the whole led headlight mod, took out the stock lights and added some round led lights I found on amazon

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did the whole led headlight mod, took out the stock lights and added some round led lights I found on amazon
Oh ok I was hoping you had just did the bulbs as that is what I'm looking to do. Seems as if the bulbs are hard to find in LED form as of now. A couple companies I've contacted said they will be stocking them soon though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh ok I was hoping you had just did the bulbs as that is what I'm looking to do. Seems as if the bulbs are hard to find in LED form as of now. A couple companies I've contacted said they will be stocking them soon though.
I've seen some companies selling led conversion kits but for $100+, I just figured I could do it myself so instead of $150 it was about $40

1 - 20 of 64 Posts