Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

581 - 600 of 624 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Put front bumper and winch View attachment 10538
Come on man,give some details. Who makes that bumper? How much money?looks like it attachs to the original bumper,does it? How is attached? Strong? Can you stand on it? That could be the solution to my snow plow pulley problem..

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just took the machine on a couple test laps around the house to see how she goes with 1.5mm of shim and the stock 700 spring I got from rob-c.

Shims made a MASSIVE difference, of course. The machine feels like its wearing little light stock tires again.

Can't really comment on the spring all that much, as my test ride was only 2 circles around the house on flat ground... BUT.. a slight rpm increase past 5 or 6 mph was definitely noticeable. I think the spring will be perfect.

Reactions: Rob-c and Vincent

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700-EPS, EHS tuner, airbox & lid, HMF Titan (Quiet) exhaust, Warn 2500 winch & 52" plow.
236 Posts
Sw-eeeeet! That thing is a real 'beast'! And I love the open design of the front and rear storage bins. I'd always want at least one enclosed storage bin somewhere on mine, for things that I can't afford to get wet, but I just might consider one of those open ones for the front. Very cool!

Looks like that monster bumper fits right over the stock (OEM) bumper too, but from the looks of it, I'm not sure a standard plow mount and push-tube assembly would all fit under there? Are you planning on a future plow? And have you measured for that already?

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Come on man,give some details. Who makes that bumper? How much money?looks like it attachs to the original bumper,does it? How is attached? Strong? Can you stand on it? That could be the solution to my snow plow pulley problem..
It really looks like the front bumper that was offered for a short time by super atv. I came across it when looking for a good read bumper, but it was always out of stock everywhere, now i can't even find a listing for it. It supposedly fit both the Grizzly & kodiak, 2016+.
Maybe his is different, i hope so and hope it's in stock somewhere at a decent price....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700-EPS, EHS tuner, airbox & lid, HMF Titan (Quiet) exhaust, Warn 2500 winch & 52" plow.
236 Posts
The more I look at that unit, the more impressed I am with it. Good-on the folks in Louisiana for producing such a practical solution. Competition is always a good thing, and this unit gets the winch back up where it should be, higher up, not down literally draggin' the ground like the Warn units.

It's too late for me now, because I went all-in on Warn stuff, including winch, winch mount, plow and plow mount, but if I had to do it all again, I'd seriously consider this approach. It would all depend on its compatibility with plow and plow mount.

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
Ideally with the winch if you have to use it you want it around the center of the machine if not a little lower.

I actually think that the factory position of the winch is about perfect.

For a snowplow mount, the front mount might work but a center mount tube plow may have clearance problems with the bumper sticking out in front.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ideally with the winch if you have to use it you want it around the center of the machine if not a little lower.

I actually think that the factory position of the winch is about perfect.

For a snowplow mount, the front mount might work but a center mount tube plow may have clearance problems with the bumper sticking out in front.

Jim,

I totally get what you're saying on that, but the Warn assembly that I have here puts the top surface of the bottom roller on the fairlead at just 16" high (almost parallel to the two pins holding the push tube assembly in-place (also 16" high), and the attachment point on the plow's push-tube assembly (for the winch hook), is barely 2" lower than that! Which means, if you're trying to use a strap without a strap roller, you'll be lucky to get anymore than (maybe) 4"-5" of lift on the blade total, before the whole assembly comes level. And that ain't much!

So to my way of thinking, a higher mounting point for the winch (at least from a snow plowing standpoint), would be appealing.

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
Remember most of the plows are designed to use the cable and not a strap

·
Registered
236 Posts
Remember most of the plows are designed to use the cable and not a strap

Yeah, I guess that's true, and the way things are lookin', I'm prolly gonna end up with cable. Given how low the winch sits, I just don't see any other way of doing it with strap, unless I make a ton of other changes, and I just don't think it's going be worth it in the end. At least with cable, I can retain some other winch functions.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Not too mention the winch lovation was designed for recovey, not snow plowing. Plows have just been adapted to these bikes.
The last page i would want the winch is up high. The lower the beter, ideally when stuck, you want to lift up or off the hole, not drag through it. Hook up high, winch down low. The greater the hight difference, the more leverage, and easier on the winch and frame.

Reactions: JimP

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, there's no doubt that it's about striking a balance. I'm new to ATV's, but I'm hardly new to winching, and I've had to seriously consider some of these factors in recent days, when it comes to this new ATV in particular, in terms of strap vs. cable, close-in winching to a plow blade vs. distant winching to a tree or other anchor point, etc. And I'm leaning more and more away from the dedicated plow (strap) approach, and more towards the less dedicated but proven way (cable and snatch block), of doing things.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Yeah, there's no doubt that it's about striking a balance. I'm new to ATV's, but I'm hardly new to winching, and I've had to seriously consider some of these factors in recent days, when it comes to this new ATV in particular, in terms of strap vs. cable, close-in winching to a plow blade vs. distant winching to a tree or other anchor point, etc. And I'm leaning more and more away from the dedicated plow (strap) approach, and more towards the less dedicated but proven way (cable and snatch block), of doing things.
Oh yeah if you're actually using the bike in the winter on yrails, not just plowing, a good synthetic cable for sure. I would only use the strap if it's a dedicsted plow bike for the winter.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
I have seen a bike go over on it's nose during recovery from having the winch mounted on the front rack. It is no longer on the rack lol.
Lol.
I got to see a guy completely rip his rack off his bike when the winch was mounted on the rack.
Was pretty funny until it ripped the wires off and the touched... Melted a small hole in his fender before the fuse blew

Reactions: JD864

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Well today my kodiak got a bit of love. By that i mean it grew taller and wider. Installed a 2" Perfex Industries lift kit, and a set of 1.5" wheel spacers. Keep an eye out for my post about the lift install in the next day or so, as i promised a bit of a write up.

Reactions: Blmpkn
581 - 600 of 624 Posts