Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

541 - 560 of 624 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ordered shims, a new floorboard, floorboard skidplates, and bar risers. Then I realized that I bought risers for fat bars -__- doh.

Really getting amped up to ride. Soon!

Reactions: Vincent and Rob-c

·
Registered
261 Posts
Got most of the way through installing 1.5mm of shim. Need to either buy a 1/2" torque wrench or find/buy a 22mm 3/8 deep socket to get the nut torqued back down and finish the job.

I should check to see if my 3/8 torque wrench will even do 100lbs first I suppose lol.

Also, unrelated, but i also realized I don't know where my 1/4" ratchet and its 10 and 12mm sockets are.. grrrrr.

EDIT: ratchets and socket were in coat pocket, and 3/8ths tq wrench only goes to 80lbs. Tool shopping here we come!

·
Grizzled Mod
255 Posts
3/8ths tq wrench only goes to 80lbs. Tool shopping here we come!
Ha, yup! I have 3 torque wrenches myself and use every single one of them... and I'm not a mechanic.

Reactions: JimP and Blmpkn

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ha, yup! I have 3 torque wrenches myself and use every single one of them... and I'm not a mechanic.
I'll have the full set now, feels good having tools.

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
Once I started using a torque wrench I have found that I will use them quite a bit when it comes to tightening things up when the threaded part is aluminum. It has gotten me into trouble a couple of times when the threads were not capable of holding the amount of torque that was required but then if they don't hold the torque then you are going to have other problems.

As for what I did to my Kodiak today, I took the snowplow blade off of it and placed my new 2022 registration stickers for Colorado and Utah onto it

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
One other thing, if you are looking for large sockets go to Harbor Freight. I purchased a whole set of large SAE sockets for what one or two sockets from a dealer who sells high quality tools for. Also most SAE sockets once you get above a inch will work quite well for metric sizes without causing damage to the nut.

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
I have tried my hardest to break the larger sockets that I have gotten from them and they are still going strong. I bought a 4 1/2 inch grinder from them 25 years ago and it is still going strong.

I will say that you do have to watch what you buy from them but why pay $20 US for a socket when you can get a whole set for the same price and if they are their impact sockets you may have them for a good while

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
When I first started as a automotive tech 25+ years ago I bought the full set’s of the metric / standard harbor freight impact sockets. The 19 mm is a bit loose from the millions of lug nuts it’s done , but they are my go to sockets at my home garage. For a diy home set it’s a no brainer.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My wallet Is about to catch fire lol... Ordered a set of oem front wheels and some 28x9 mega mayhems so I can run a square mud setup this year.

They certainly don't give the oem aluminum wheels away... cheapest I found was 110 a piece. Considering aftermarket aluminum wheels seem to be almost twice as heavy though.. it seemed worth it. So now, between the shims, spring, and losing 5-6 pounds of rotational weight... the little 450 should have plenty of snap!

Anyone want to buy a pair of 28x11 mega mayhems? Lol.

Eventually ill buy another pair of oem front wheels, and some more trail oriented tires so I can have a dedicated set of muddies and a set for when we know we won't come across too much mud.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ended up ordering a tuner from ehs, cant say im particularly impressed with having to pay 22 bucks in shipping AND 5.50 in insurance.

I've been ordering stuff much more expensive than the tuner was online for close to a decade now.. 99% of the time my items were shipped free, and I've never once had to pay for insurance.. not even for the 1000hp rated th400 I bought last year 😑

Oh well. Mabey I'm just grumpy from trying to quit smoking lol.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ended up ordering a tuner from ehs, cant say im particularly impressed with having to pay 22 bucks in shipping AND 5.50 in insurance.

I've been ordering stuff much more expensive than the tuner was online for close to a decade now.. 99% of the time my items were shipped free, and I've never once had to pay for insurance.. not even for the 1000hp rated th400 I bought last year 😑

Oh well. Mabey I'm just grumpy from trying to quit smoking lol.
Oh just think what you pay for a pack of smokes, then what you paid for shipping ;). Puts it in bit better perspective .

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
It is the old saying that if you want to play you have to pay and if there is only one company offering what you want they have you over a barrel and you might as well as just bear it in the end.

Most companies that offer free shipping just add to the price of their product to cover it. Anymore there is no such thing as free.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It is the old saying that if you want to play you have to pay and if there is only one company offering what you want they have you over a barrel and you might as well as just bear it in the end.

Most companies that offer free shipping just add to the price of their product to cover it. Anymore there is no such thing as free.
Pay to play is something I'm more than familiar with, considering I'm the type of person that will put near 10k into a 40 year old derelict vehicle with the goal of getting it to wheelie..

All I'm saying is I found it a little wierd. I've spent years purchasing things 2..3..10x more expensive and never once got dinged with an insurance charge.

The suggestion that company's add to the price on items with free shipping isn't always true, especially when comparing an item bought from a traditional online store vs. Buying the same item from an eBay seller.

After I figured out that things can be bought off ebay for significantly cheaper than say.. summit racing.. that changed the game completely.

My most recent example I guess would be my wheeler tires. I priced them out from a regular website first.. around 670 PLUS shipping.. then i went on ebay and got what I wanted for around 560 SHIPPED.

I will say I very much appreciated that EHS didn't charge me sales tax, that essentially covered my insurance charge and a bit of the shipping lol. It is what it is. Like I said, must just be a little grumpy.

Very much looking forward to receiving the box and fiddling with it!

Oh just think what you pay for a pack of smokes, then what you paid for shipping ;). Puts it in bit better perspective .
Oh I totally get you. Awhile ago I realized that the amount of smokes I've bought in the last 15 years would of bought me 2 top of the line grizzlys along with lifts, tires, and exhausts for both of them. Thats what kinda put my rear in gear about quitting. Waste of money, and just kills you.

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700-EPS, EHS tuner, airbox & lid, HMF Titan (Quiet) exhaust, Warn 2500 winch & 52" plow.
236 Posts
In my view, Eric and his crew at EHS are enjoying a rather unique position in the ATV community, which is driven largely by a lack of meaningful competition, and we see that phenomenon played-out across the commercial marketplace everyday, with outfits like Amazon, etc.

Are his products particularly "special" or of exceptional "value" for the money? No. I purchased his fully assembled Airbox, and frankly, the workmanship on it was shabby at-best. And his tuner? Sure, its perfectly functional and does somewhat of a job to improve things, but it's also about as primitive as an electronic device can possibly be! It doesn't measure or 'sense' or update anything in real time. It can't improve or refine anything in real time. It simply has 4 or 5 fixed presets, and for $210.00, you get to pick one, right? End of story.

The reason he's enjoying freedom from competition (at least on the tuner front), is because his only possible competitors either don't make a tuner for ATV's (like the PowerCommander), or they're experiencing problems with their own units (HMF). Example: I bought an HMF slip-on exhaust recently, and for obvious reasons, I was considering an HMF tuner, but the folks at HMF actually discouraged it's use on my Kodiak, because they were getting too many reports of problems with it. So they suggested sticking with the EHS tuner, even with the HMF exhaust, and I greatly respect that sort of honesty and candor in today's world.

As for the EHS Airbox and the AIS delete? I think the AIS delete makes perfect sense and is well-warranted, and I'll admit to hastily drinking the Kool-Aid on the Airbox itself, but I'm far from convinced that the Airbox upgrade is necessary, or that it constitutes a true "upgrade" per se. Lets face it, these things run so incredibly lean to begin with, that getting ample volumes of air from the sealed OEM box clearly isn't the issue. So why would you need to pay $300+ for a box that has its lid carved open solely to allow for more air? It may have some other minor benefit (better seals, etc?), but otherwise, I just don't see it. And frankly, there are several areas on the EHS Airbox lid where there are air leaks that had to be sealed with black silicone sealant.

So anyway, there you have it. No meaningful competition, and too many eager, overly-impulsive (quick-draw) consumers, like me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thats pretty well put in my opinion.

From what I've read around here and the grizz forum though, is that the folks at EHS have incredible customer service. Thats commendable in today's world I feel like.. and kinda swayed me to buy their tuner rather than another companies.. who's box would of costed me a hair less.. and not charged me for insurance. It all comes out in the wash I suppose.

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700-EPS, EHS tuner, airbox & lid, HMF Titan (Quiet) exhaust, Warn 2500 winch & 52" plow.
236 Posts
Thats pretty well put in my opinion.

From what I've read around here and the grizz forum though, is that the folks at EHS have incredible customer service.
I've only spoken with Eric once or twice, and yes, he was both patient and helpful on both occasions.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Ehs has lots of competition, but like apple, people aka sheeple choose that one product without looking at all the other options.
Dubek
Ejk (dubek based)
RJWC (dubek based)
Hmf
Fisher brothers
Power commander.

That's just making a few options for fuel tuners....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

541 - 560 of 624 Posts