441 - 460 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Muddy and clean

·
Registered
558 Posts
Had to make a very hard decision recently, I sold my Kodiak. The money was very tempting and I Got a good price, it will go along way towards paying off the new Viking. I will be watching for another Kodiak or Grizzly, miss it already. And hopefully will have another someday, but I really need to get the Viking paid off first. The Viking is much better suited for the work around the property/farm and family oriented stuff. I have always enjoyed this forum and will probably still poke around here a little bit. Everyone has been a big help and very friendly.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Gave the kodiak a bath yesterday, and bought some bigger washers to go underneath the wing nuts that hold the 2-up seat on. The ones they provide left a little to be desired, too small. Also bought rubber caps to cover the ends of the u-bolts for the seat so stuff doesn't get so beat up bouncing around back there.

Planning on washing and re-oiling the air filter today, in prep for our trip to St. Agatha this weekend.

Only put on 60ish miles since the last wash&re-oil.. but its miserably dusty in maine right now because of our drought. I'm sure it needs it. The first time I did it at 150 miles my blue filter was black lol.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Finally got the Yamaha 2" reciever delivered. Sent the Moose reciever back as the wrong size was sent. However the Moose has a large vertical plate that blocks access to the rear differential..unacceptable. Delivery took forever. Moose rack holds tool bag and Igloo with necessary 'BARLEY POP'. Worth the price.

Attachments

Reactions: Madmax

·
Registered
687 Posts
Changed oil and filter. Waxed plow and sprayed it with cooking oil. Got a big storm coming tonight.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
In the wee hours of the morning, while I was at work, i did a little shopping online..... The kodiak is going to get about 2" taller and 3" wider in the near future.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got my JBS Performance Purple secondary spring, 1.5mm shims and anti friction washers. Now I just need a warm enough day to feel my fingers to do the install. Gonna keep the factory 30gram weights for now as this is primarily a hunting and work machine. Maybe do some 24 gram EPI weights later if I think it needs it.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
Got my JBS Performance Purple secondary spring, 1.5mm shims and anti friction washers. Now I just need a warm enough day to feel my fingers to do the install. Gonna keep the factory 30gram weights for now as this is primarily a hunting and work machine. Maybe do some 24 gram EPI weights later if I think it needs it.
Do yourself a favor, make that your last purchase from jbs.
Grab yourself a set of oem grizzly 18 or 20gm weights, they will cost less than epi, dealer usually has them in stock. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do yourself a favor, make that your last purchase from jbs.
Grab yourself a set of oem grizzly 18 or 20gm weights, they will cost less than epi, dealer usually has them in stock. You won't regret it.

I was only thinking EPI because I really don't want the weights to go full grizzly. I ride my buddies grizz and I like the rpm profile on the kodiak better. I might not even change weights if the shims and secondary spring get the rpm's up a couple hundred into the power band. So what is up with JBS that has people grumpy? Prices seemed good and shipping was fast. Shipping was a little pricey for what I got but still acceptable.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
I was only thinking EPI because I really don't want the weights to go full grizzly. I ride my buddies grizz and I like the rpm profile on the kodiak better. I might not even change weights if the shims and secondary spring get the rpm's up a couple hundred into the power band. So what is up with JBS that has people grumpy? Prices seemed good and shipping was fast. Shipping was a little pricey for what I got but still acceptable.
He's gained a reputation for being full of schite.
In his mind, his word is gospel, And he's made some bs statements about just about every other guy in the clutching business.
He's got his faithful followers that will back up his every claim.... But on that count... Hitler and Trump did too...... Lol
Around here, coop, (coop45 clutch mod) is pretty much the most recommended guy to go to or even ask questions.
I personally has my clutch machined by someone else, but based on some very knowledgeable forums member reviews, I would recommend COOP's work.

Using that purple spring, and the shims, i think the 20gm would work nicer than heavier epi weights.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
34 Posts
He's gained a reputation for being full of schite.
In his mind, his word is gospel, And he's made some bs statements about just about every other guy in the clutching business.
He's got his faithful followers that will back up his every claim.... But on that count... Hitler and Trump did too...... Lol
Around here, coop, (coop45 clutch mod) is pretty much the most recommended guy to go to or even ask questions.
I personally has my clutch machined by someone else, but based on some very knowledgeable forums member reviews, I would recommend COOP's work.

Using that purple spring, and the shims, i think the 20gm would work nicer than heavier epi weights.

Thanks for the feedback. Understood on why people are pissed with JBS. No matter how good your product is you shouldn't trash talk other manufacturers (unless their product really is garbage). If I was going to do the machined sheave it would definitely be a Coop.
This forum can be tough sometimes with opinions. I like the idea of the lighter weights but if I wanted a grizzly I wouldn't have bought a kodiak. Yes I have some basic mods done but it is to get me through the snow, mud, and over trees when we're working in the woods. I'm fearful that those 20gram weights are still too light for my application. Trail riding is only 50% of my riding, the rest is work.
Has anybody done the purple spring, 1.5mm shim and left the 30 gram weights and been happy with it? Or done the 22-24gram weights and been happy? Or does everybody go to the grizz weights?

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
I started out with purple, 1.5mm, she stock 30gm. It was ok, but in all fairness, i put 300km on it that way with a weight flipped. So i don't have a great baseline. When I can't home from that trip, I talked to my budfy Brian at BF Clutching, and got him to machine my sheave, and order in grizz weights. While we were talking, he suggested either 18 or 20 for mine based on what I do. (trail ride, plow snow, a wade deep snow to get out on lake ice fishing), i had mentioned 16gm, but he thought i would hit my rev limiter too quick.
I only know of one other member on here that has went with slightly heavier weights, either 22 or 24gm. There are a few members running 4x30 & 4x20 or 18, essentially giving the effect of 24 or 25 gm weights.
I love my setup, with machined sheave & cam plate, 0.5mm shim, 18gm weights, acre that purple spring is perfect. I now have a bike that plays better than a grizzly, yet works like a kodiak on steroids with that enhanced low end torque. I rarely use low gear any more, high has all the low end grunt i need 95% of the time. I have only used low to traverse down a super steep hill, acre to pull a couple big fallen trees off the trail when I didn't have a saw with me.
These kodiaks are torque monsters all tuned up, it's insane. I thought my 450 honda was a beast down in 1st gear, but it's got nothing on the kodiak.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I started out with purple, 1.5mm, she stock 30gm. It was ok, but in all fairness, i put 300km on it that way with a weight flipped. So i don't have a great baseline. When I can't home from that trip, I talked to my budfy Brian at BF Clutching, and got him to machine my sheave, and order in grizz weights. While we were talking, he suggested either 18 or 20 for mine based on what I do. (trail ride, plow snow, a wade deep snow to get out on lake ice fishing), i had mentioned 16gm, but he thought i would hit my rev limiter too quick.
I only know of one other member on here that has went with slightly heavier weights, either 22 or 24gm. There are a few members running 4x30 & 4x20 or 18, essentially giving the effect of 24 or 25 gm weights.
I love my setup, with machined sheave & cam plate, 0.5mm shim, 18gm weights, acre that purple spring is perfect. I now have a bike that plays better than a grizzly, yet works like a kodiak on steroids with that enhanced low end torque. I rarely use low gear any more, high has all the low end grunt i need 95% of the time. I have only used low to traverse down a super steep hill, acre to pull a couple big fallen trees off the trail when I didn't have a saw with me.
These kodiaks are torque monsters all tuned up, it's insane. I thought my 450 honda was a beast down in 1st gear, but it's got nothing on the kodiak.

That was awesome info. Thank you. I'll probably get a set of 20's to throw in when I have it apart. The 2015 grizzly's ran 20 gram weights correct?

·
Registered
863 Posts
That was awesome info. Thank you. I'll probably get a set of 20's to throw in when I have it apart. The 2015 grizzly's ran 20 gram weights correct?
Yes, the 2015 grizzly weights are 20 grams

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
I honestly don't think you would go wrong either way to be totally honest. With 20s in my sey up, this bike can still work if you want it to, yet punch it and have an absolute blast. I didn't like the size feel of the grizzly, felt too big, me coming from a 450 honda foreman, compact bike, i love that smaller feel in the bush, absolute the open sightlines to the trail from the seated position. The kodiak just felt perfect. That little bit of clutch work just made it so much more fun to ride for very little investment.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Pushed a mega amount of snow today. Got stuck a couple of times but eventually the Kodiak got it done. Heaviest snowfall in the 13winters we've been in this house. Just amazed at what these machines can push through.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I ordered the LED lights to do the light swap robval1987 did in his post in the Electrical Section.

Steve.......

·
Registered
177 Posts

Lifted the rear of my 450 (waiting for spring compressors to arrive to do the front)

Need bigger tires now :devilish:

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nothing to either one, it's 5* F, windchill is -13 F, today and snowing heavily.

Steve...........

441 - 460 of 461 Posts