Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

421 - 440 of 461 Posts

·
Grizzled Mod
208 Posts
Just ordered my CVT tools in prep for doing the work in the next month or two. 3 piece kit (primary holder, secondary holder, and spring compressor) from GFF Snorkels. Really easy to deal with. https://www.facebook.com/GrizzlyClutchTools/
The pictures posted indicate he must have or is selling a lot of these clutch tool kits. I've had mine going on 5 years now and jumped on buying a set as I was concerned he may stop making them. I also assume the price has probably gone up but the set is worth it if you are digging into your clutch from time to time.

BTW, if you were unaware, the guy selling these kits also raced a highly modified Grizzly in the Baja 500 or 1000 a couple years back.

Reactions: Jmet16700

·
Registered
177 Posts
You look too big for your bike. Lol
Haha no kidding, you should see me on my Honda grom lol. Being 6'2 220lb I definitely look like the circus bear rising the minibike. The grom is an absolute blast though, can do figure 8s dragging the footpegs all day.

I DO feel a little big while riding the Kodiak standing up, bars are a touch too low and close to my knees. Probably try some grizzly bars out eventually.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Haha no kidding, you should see me on my Honda grom lol. Being 6'2 220lb I definitely look like the circus bear rising the minibike. The grom is an absolute blast though, can do figure 8s dragging the footpegs all day.

I DO feel a little big while riding the Kodiak standing up, bars are a touch too low and close to my knees. Probably try some grizzly bars out eventually.
Grizzly bars and / or Rox risers will definitely help for sure!

I'm only 6' 165 lbs... I rotated my Grizzly bars forward and now I'm very comfortable standing up. Matter a fact some rides I never even use my seat. The Grizzly ergonomics are amazing to say the least

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
I'll also say to go with the Grizzly bars, I'm 6'4" and 240 and while the Grizzly bars didn't come up as far as I would of liked for them to they came up enough to where I can ride standing up comfortably. I'm not too sure about the Grizzly bars and the Rox risers, just for the length of the cables. With the Grizzly bars I didn't have to do a thing with the cables.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ill definitely start with the grizzly bars, 2"up and forward sounds like it'll be almost perfect.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Got the box and gun boot installed. Getting ready for deer camp in a couple months.

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
863 Posts
Reactions: john zane

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
All I did to my Kodiak was put a few more KMs on it. Did a s short little 45km trip last night with my coworker and his gf he was on a little Yamaha 125 dirt bike, and she had a 650 Honda Rincon.

Then today, did a 60km trip with another guy that used to work with me. He wanted to try the Kodiak because he wants to upgrade to a Yamaha from his 1000 Arctic cat.
I tried the cat... Big bike, awesome power, softest seat I've ever sit on..... But I'll keep my Kodiak. Lol

Oh, after today's ride, the Kodiak did get strip to the local car wash, gave it a good pressure wash with lots of soap, rinsed all off and then a spray wax and rinse again. Loaded back in the trailer, came home and have an awesome n as p after all that fresh air.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: bow4it83

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
View attachment 9980 View attachment 9981 View attachment 9982
Got the box and gun boot installed. Getting ready for deer camp in a couple months.
View attachment 9983
You may want to set that gun boot up to where you can get off of the right hand side if you really need to.

I don't have a picture with the gun boot on the Kodiak but here is a picture of the bracket where you can see the different angle that I have pointing down along side the fender. And the Kodiak in the picture was my 2000

Reactions: john zane

·
Registered
333 Posts
All I did to my Kodiak was put a few more KMs on it. Did a s short little 45km trip last night with my coworker and his gf he was on a little Yamaha 125 dirt bike, and she had a 650 Honda Rincon.

Then today, did a 60km trip with another guy that used to work with me. He wanted to try the Kodiak because he wants to upgrade to a Yamaha from his 1000 Arctic cat.
I tried the cat... Big bike, awesome power, softest seat I've ever sit on..... But I'll keep my Kodiak. Lol

Oh, after today's ride, the Kodiak did get strip to the local car wash, gave it a good pressure wash with lots of soap, rinsed all off and then a spray wax and rinse again. Loaded back in the trailer, came home and have an awesome n as p after all that fresh air.

How about some more thoughts on the kodiak Vs arctic cat, I like hearing about what guys think of other quads vs our Yamahas.

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
A friend has a Artic Cat and likes it. When I looked at it I like a lot of the little things that it has like factory hand warmers with a switch in the gauge pod for them. He also has high intensity lights straight from the dealer which are real nice. Also from just looking at the frame it looks like it is a bit heaver than the Kodiak or Grizzly.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
How about some more thoughts on the kodiak Vs arctic cat, I like hearing about what guys think of other quads vs our Yamahas.
Well, only about 5min ride on it so not tons of feed back, and I'm sure I would notice much more with more time on it.
I love that instant response for the 1000 v twin, you notice the ponies right away. Very comparable takeoff to my machined sheave 700..... Just you know it's got the extra cc.
I didn't care for the suspension, it's very soft and floaty feeling, yet on a rut in the road, I could feel it more than on my Kodiak. The Yamaha has a much firmer feel that absorbs bumps extremely well. My buddies first response to trying the Kodiak was "man this is nimble in the trail", and it was much better handling than that big cat. The cat has just about the softest seat I've ever sit on, almost too soft, but it's shape I didn't like, it's too wide, the whole bike is definitely a bit wider to straddle, but not uncomfortable. Sitting on it, it looks huge, the front fenders seem like they suck way out past the handle bars, but taper in as you look towards the front, but it wasn't noticable when riding, unlike the 850 Can-Am, they just look and feel huge from driver's position.
I really like that the cat has an actual tach,
I did like the looks of this cat, it's a pre-textron, I believe it's a 2016 1000xt. It's nice that it has steel round tube racks, not the plastic junk on the Can-Am and Polaris. I also liked that it didn't have the 3rd headlight, something I find useless if your using the front rack as intended.
The weight of the beast though, almost 200 lbs heavier than my Kodiak.

The big question.... Yes it will pull away from the Kodiak we were rolling along at about 20kph, and we punched it....I was surprised for a sec, the Kodiak stayed with him. Then he just started leaving me. He said the power band seems to be in the latter 2/3 of his throttle, he said there a point where his rpm start to really ramp up and it takes off like a scared cat..... No pun intended (but maybe the cat was scared of the bear)

Oh and I will say it's a very easy starting bike, it starts like my old Honda 450 or Suzuki 250... Just look at the start button and it's running, the starter barely had to work.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
A friend has a Artic Cat and likes it. When I looked at it I like a lot of the little things that it has like factory hand warmers with a switch in the gauge pod for them. He also has high intensity lights straight from the dealer which are real nice. Also from just looking at the frame it looks like it is a bit heaver than the Kodiak or Grizzly.
No doubt the frame is heavier to handle the extra weight of the bike. It's over 100lbs heavier than the Yamaha.
My buddies cat fight have HIDs, just standard halogens. I haven't seen one that came stock with HIDs, but that would be nice, I had to retrofit them in my Kodiak

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
He may just have halogens, but I do know that they are about 4 times brighter than what our stock Kodiak ones are. You can really see him coming in the dark. We usually don't run in the dark together and it has been a few years since I saw them on.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
He may just have halogens, but I do know that they are about 4 times brighter than what our stock Kodiak ones are. You can really see him coming in the dark. We usually don't run in the dark together and it has been a few years since I saw them on.
Oh I hear ya.. I can hold a lit match out in a hurricane and from 3 miles away, you will see it before you see Kodiak stock lights 25 ft away

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
863 Posts
Oh I hear ya.. I can hold a lit match out in a hurricane and from 3 miles away, you will see it before you see Kodiak stock lights 25 ft away

That sucks.

Thus fare my 19 Grizzly's LED headlights have been impressive when compared to my 09 Grizz witch were ok....

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
That sucks.

Thus fare my 19 Grizzly's LED headlights have been impressive when compared to my 09 Grizz witch were ok....
No doubt, the led set up is nice. It's too bad that they don't have a simple mount that could be transfered to the Kodiak, but I investigated that route and it's part of the grizzly front plastics. A fare amount of custom fab work would be needed to even have a starting point to do the retrofit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I didn't do anything to my Kodiak yesterday, But we did something for my Kodiak :)

Been working on getting my back property accessible, and we finally accomplished that yesterday.. That hill was a disaster and sketchy, now its smooth and widened :)

for the ride in:

For the ride out:

Reactions: KodiakAfishyo
421 - 440 of 461 Posts