Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I have just inherited a Yamaha atv it has stood in a barn for about 8 years and needs some work I think it's a Kodiak but not sure what year as the vin number has worn away. Can any one help

·
Registered
703 Posts
If it has high and low range and diff lock it's a 450 Kodiak. If it only has forward, reverse and a simple 4 wd / 2wd button it's a 400 kodiak. Independent rear suspension started in 2005 so that's another clue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It has independent suspension. The gear lever has low high neutral reverse and park then on the right had handlebar there is a yellow button saying 4wd or lock and a red button that I can't see the writing on

·
Super Moderator
1,260 Posts
The vin number is not going to wear away unless someone took a grinder to it. Look down on the frame on the left hand side just above the floor board.

On the suspension is it a rear independent suspension or a solid rear axle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A frame is potted with rust- no chance of reading anything it has independent suspension

·
Super Moderator
1,260 Posts
I'd say that it is a 2005 or newer 450.

On the rust on the frame if it is that bad where you can't read the vin then it may not be strong enough to depend on riding.

Also if your state requires you to register it then you are going to have to find the vin and be able to read it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
And you will definitely need tires.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The yellow button will be diff lock and the red is 4wd. Get her cleaned up with a pressure washer and get some more pics when you're done, I do love a good project! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are in England and it's a farm quad so no road work and does not need to be registered. A frame is solid just no sign of a vin number I have scraped the black paint back to see if underneath View attachment 9697

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The yellow button will be diff lock and the red is 4wd. Get her cleaned up with a pressure washer and get some more pics when you're done, I do love a good project! :)
Me too. So far we have found it needs a new rear diff , some wireing 2 new front tyres and a dam good clean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just put some new fuel in her and connected a battery and she fired straight up so it's now worth ordering parts - looks like most of them will have to come from America so may take a while with lockdown still going on

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Other half is an agricultural mechanic . Yeah missing on crown wheel. Can get bearing set over here but not crown wheel and pinion unless I want to pay £500

1 - 13 of 13 Posts