Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kodiak 700 Base Model, N2Deep snorkel and rad kit, 32 inch Silverbacks, custom powder coat
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding on 32 inch silverbacks for awhile now on my Kodiak with no problems and I have had 31 inch Outlaws and 34 inch SuperATV Terminators on my it before as well and it has surprisingly held up no problem with them (knock on wood). While my Kodiak has handled these large tires fine I am looking for some suggestions on what weights, springs, etc. I need to help bring back some power. I am going to get rid of these 32 inch tires here soon but I am going to stay in the 30 inch and up tire size range so can anyone recommend what clutch work I should do? I have heard grizzly weights and a purple spring might do the trick. going to get a sheave by Coop45 probably during the summer so I am just looking for smaller upgrades here right now. thanks ya'll!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have no experience with such large tires, but I would suggest,

Grizzly weights, epi gold or white spring , 1.5mm of shims should work well for now until you get your Coop45 machined sheave.

Just to share more info with you

Weights and springs do not give lower starting ratio... Only shims and machined sheaves do. As an example your stock sheave ratio is around 2.45:1.... Adding 1.5 mm of shim will bring it closer to 2.75:1 that's 12% lower initial cvt ratio. My coop45 machined sheave with a 0.5 shim was at 3.1:1 initial ratio, that's basically 27% lower first gear!

After you get moving and your cvt start shifting out, then the weights and springs start doing their magic. Lighter weights and stronger spring will keep you in lower gears longer (sorta speak) and help multiply more torque. This also gives quicker backshifts, better engine braking etc...
Stronger spring also helps clamp the belt better, preventing potential belt slip.

Hope this all helps.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Vincent pretty much nailed it,

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
2016 Kodiak 700 Base Model, N2Deep snorkel and rad kit, 32 inch Silverbacks, custom powder coat
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no experience with such large tires, but I would suggest,

Grizzly weights, epi gold or white spring , 1.5mm of shims should work well for now until you get your Coop45 machined sheave.

Just to share more info with you

Weights and springs do not give lower starting ratio... Only shims and machined sheaves do. As an example your stock sheave ratio is around 2.45:1 ratio.... Adding 1.5 mm of shim will bring it closer to 2.75:1 that's 12% lower initial cvt ratio. My coop45 machined sheave with a 0.5 shim was at 3.1:1 initial ratio, that's basically 27% lower first gear!

After you get moving and your cvt start shifting out, then the weights and springs start doing their magic. Lighter weights and stronger spring will keep you in lower gears longer (sorta speak) and help multiply more torque. This also gives quicker backshifts, better engine braking etc...
Stronger spring also helps clamp the belt better, preventing potential belt slip.

Hope this all helps.
ok thanks for the reply. I am going to post the links to the parts you mentioned above and if you don't mind could you make sure they are right before I order them? I don't know if there is anywhere else to get grizzly weights cheaper as some places do not have them in stock. thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
ok thanks for the reply. I am going to post the links to the parts you mentioned above and if you don't mind could you make sure they are right before I order them? I don't know if there is anywhere else to get grizzly weights cheaper as some places do not have them in stock. thanks again for the help.

Looks like all the right stuff to me.

·
Registered
523 Posts

I bought my gold spring from amazon for $25.02 with free shipping. Not a huge savings but I saved a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I bought my gold spring from amazon for $25.02 with free shipping. Not a huge savings but I saved a few bucks.
That is cheap!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ebay/Amazon is always the cheapest place to buy nearly everything. It may only be by a few bucks, but over a number of purchases those few bucks will add up to hundreds or thousands of dollars over the course of the year. I've easily saved over 1000 dollars this year by pretty strictly buying parts from ebay.

Another bonus with eBay is they offer "eBay bucks" deals every once in a while where you will get 5,8, or 10% back on all purchases made during said deals at the end of the quarter (so say you buy something thats 100$ during a 10% bucks deal, you'll get 10$ to spend on ebay).. AND if you have the ebay mastercard you earn points on purchases made with the card and receive a 10$ credit per 1500 points. Between the ebay bucks ill get in January and redeeming my mastercard points I'm pretty much looking at a "free" fuel controller for my wheeler. Score.

Moral of the story: it pays to not be a snob who refuses to shop anywhere than a dedicated/specialized retailer.

Reactions: DeerDragger

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ebay/Amazon is always the cheapest place to buy nearly everything. It may only be by a few bucks, but over a number of purchases those few bucks will add up to hundreds or thousands of dollars over the course of the year. I've easily saved over 1000 dollars this year by pretty strictly buying parts from ebay.

Another bonus with eBay is they offer "eBay bucks" deals every once in a while where you will get 5,8, or 10% back on all purchases made during said deals at the end of the quarter (so say you buy something thats 100$ during a 10% bucks deal, you'll get 10$ to spend on ebay).. AND if you have the ebay mastercard you earn points on purchases made with the card and receive a 10$ credit per 1500 points. Between the ebay bucks ill get in January and redeeming my mastercard points I'm pretty much looking at a "free" fuel controller for my wheeler. Score.

Moral of the story: it pays to not be a snob who refuses to shop anywhere than a dedicated/specialized retailer.
i usually try to shop on amazon and ebay. ive found that ebay has more parts and accessories for Kodiak’s compared to amazon. i did not know that ebay offered cash back so thanks for letting me know! im starting to like ebay more and more compared to amazon, its easier for me to get new and used parts from them for whatever dirt bike, atv, lawn equipment im working on that week lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts