Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'21 STD all stock
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my winch today, first time winch install, mounted the brain in the compartment next to the battery. All wires were significantly shortened and I tested them at full turn left and right to ensure nothing was causing stress or tension on anything. Not the best routing under the "hood" but nothing seems too crowded, and it's fully functional. Cables to the winch run along the frame and parallel but don't impede the clear (coolant vent?) line.
Gonna grab one of those little bump stoppers this weekend, and I'm considering ordering the remote to add that as well for flexibility, but... No rush. Everything took about 2hrs I'd say. Open to any tips or advice about anything that should change about it. The KFI mount was great, everything lined up, but I couldn't have fit the contactor on the back of it without making up a bracket.

·
Grizzled Mod
293 Posts
Wiring looks good and you probably made sure it is pretty secure to avoid the wires chaffing from vibration/movement. With the remotes, I personally recommend going with the hardwired remotes and not the wireless remotes. My reasoning is that I infrequently use my remote that when I do need to use it, a wireless remote battery will probably be dead. And I've read of multiple people saying that was the case for them.

Reactions: Mr_MiNT

·
Registered
'21 STD all stock
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wiring looks good and you probably made sure it is pretty secure to avoid the wires chaffing from vibration/movement. With the remotes, I personally recommend going with the hardwired remotes and not the wireless remotes. My reasoning is that I infrequently use my remote that when I do need to use it, a wireless remote battery will probably be dead. And I've read of multiple people saying that was the case for them.
I did add zip ties after I took this picture, up the frame, definitely overkill, but yeah chafing should not be an issue, but I'll keep an eye on it all for a few rides to make sure it all settled in fine. And yeah I'm definitely thinking wired remote, wireless is great and all but you mentioned the biggest downfalls of it, infrequent use and reliance on battery. Totally agree.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Where do you guys mount the remote? I haven't installed mine cause i really dont want to drill a big hole anywhere. I would like to have it, I usually work by myself and it would be handy..

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I'm going to put mine through the top warning label on the left front fender. I'm about to take both off and replace with something that looks better asnyhow..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good looking job, I put my contactor up top like that, there was a big space waiting for something.

Steve.........

Reactions: Mr_MiNT
1 - 10 of 10 Posts