Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, new guy, second post. I just picked up a 2020 Kodiak 450. The base model. The dealer kicked in the subject winch and since it was supposed to be "plug-n-play" I bought the Yamaha install kit. The install was going good till I got to step #17 "Install bullet connectors to the contactor. Use 6 and 7 adapters to make the connection". Okay....the contactor has three spades...which bullet connector wire goes where? And the picture diagram is horrible. There appears to be another jumper going from the battery negative side to what could be the first spade but the picture is so bad it's hard to tell. If that jumper does go to the first spade , then I guess it's a process of elimination for other two. I'd just like to see in anybody has done this and can advise before I fry something. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Yamaha has always used Warn winches and hardware. You should be able to download installation instructions on Warn’s website. Otherwise since you just bought it I would believe your dealer service department would be happy to explain the instructions and poor photos. It’s been about a year since I installed my warn winch on my 700 Kodiak so all I remember is that it seems like the contactor was labled.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
one post is ground, the other 2 are positive, one being forward, the other reverse. connect them and try your switch, if pressing out spools your winch out, you're good, but if it spools in, just switch the 2 positive wires .

usually the suds have a dab of paint on the ends to color code it for install

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the inputs. I found a better picture/diagram of the contactor and I'm pretty sure I've got my answer. That jumper wire from the negative lead goes to the center spade, the other two go to the switch for forward and reverse. Like was mentioned if the winch runs in the wrong direction, swap the two switch wires. The diagram that came with my kit was very small and not clear...like it was a copy of a copy of a copy kind of thing. I appreciate the help. Y'all have a good one.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I hear ya about the lovely quality of the diagram. You would think for what Warn charges for a winch, it would have hi-rez color pics

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don’t claim to be an expert but so far as I understand it the contactor will have one ground and two hots. Th negative from the battery will be your ground. The two from the switch will be hot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success! I finished wiring up the winch and it works as advertised. And just in case somebody should do a search here for similar information because they too cannot discern what wires go where from the weak included diagram, the center spade does indeed go to the negative side battery connection and the two on either side are for the two switch wires. Except for this little wiring hiccup, it was actually a pretty easy install. The fact that Yammi had the foresight to pre-wire a lot of the install is pure awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts