Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
What's it for? Is it a different strap that attaches to the front rack for the winch to attach to?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I use a strap for a hand crank boat winch on my atv winch for plowing. Been tougher than woodpecker lips so far........and cheap also.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
So you would have to unspool the winch.

It wouldn't be too much of a quick turn around if you decided to disconnect your plow and go play. I'll stick with the winch line.

·
Registered
627 Posts
So you would have to unspool the winch.

It wouldn't be too much of a quick turn around if you decided to disconnect your plow and go play. I'll stick with the winch line.
It's no big deal. Once the snow has settled in, I stick to the trails for the most part. If I really want to go for a good run where I may need the winch,it's a fairly quick change over to my synthetic rope.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
I just figure that as good as the winch line and pulley works why bother with something that you need to spend some time to get all together.

I have also wondered how the synthetic winch line would work on a plow set up with the bend around the pulley.

On the riding I have only used my winch a couple of times for myself but you never do know just when you are going to need it. We were riding a snowmobile trail one day when it turned into a single track where a machine had gone in and came back out. We were fine until my partner fell off of the side of it and then we were in trouble. We got him back up onto the track and I tried to back up the mile that we had came but quickly slid off to the side. Then we had to work to get my wheeler turned around and back up onto the track to get out. But that was before we had winches on our wheelers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I asked because I do a fair amount of plowing in Maine with a 300’ driveway. I use a Warn ProVantage 2500 Winch and 54” Warn ProVantage front mount Plow. The first year the metal winch cable broke (near the end of winter). The up and down of the plow effects the same 2’ of cable eventually wearing it down. I then switched to a 12’ strand of .25” synthetic. This actually wore down the plastic pulley due to friction and wore it clean through. I then picked up a metal pulley to use in place of the plastic one. Along with the synthetic cable this seems to be a good solution. I was just curious if anyone had experience with the ‘Plow Strap’ from Warn.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
On my old 2000 Kodiak I plowed quite a bit for around 5 years before the cable broke at about a foot from the eye, this was right were the cable ran through the small pulley all the time. I just wove a new eye into it and continued to plow for another 5 or 6 years until I sold the Kodiak with the plow.

If you do a lot of plowing and if the plow strap eliminates the wear problem I think that I would go with it, at least to see how it works. It doesn't cost that much and if it doesn't hold up you won't be out that much.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have no experience with the warn strap. I understand kfi makes one as well. They seem very similar to the boat winch strap I have but I'm sure my strap as cheaper to buy. I snapped the steel cable 3 times the first yr plowing. The strap is holding up much better.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Looks like a good product.
If you used one, the overall diameter on the spool would be smaller so the winch would move the plow up and down a little slower (bonus IMO).
Of course a short run of rope would have the same effect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts