Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install the new Warn Axon 35 winch on my 2018 Kodiak. The Axon has several nice features such as internal contactor and temp monitor. However, the Axon is slightly larger with a rectangular shape, instead of tapered on the ends. This appears to be creating clearance issues with the bumper mounts. I have been working with Warn, however, they do not have a Kodiak to test it on. Has anyone installed the new Axon on a Kodiak?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Are you using warn's mount for the Kodiak? Can you shim the winch up with plate to clear the tubes? The winch is not all that much bigger than the provantage demensionally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using all Warn products. Nomad, great idea on the shims, unfortunately there was just not enough clearance. Apparently I am not the only one having an issue. Warn and I have tried several mounts and ideas over the past month. We are now going to try the VRX instead. Has anyone installed a VRX 35?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my 2018 and an Axon 35. Got the kit today. The mounting plate is right, but the winch doesn't fit. Thinking about taking the front bumper off to try to wedge it in.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think it might be easier to just get a winch that'll fit.
There are two winch plates from Warn...one with an extra set of ears and will work with their plow setup.

·
Super Moderator
1,078 Posts
Did you check the application charts to see if it would fit your Kodiak?

I did a quick check and the winch for a 700 Kodiak from Warn came up with the Zeon and not the Axon

·
Registered
5 Posts
No Jim, I didn't do enough research. I bought a "New Warn Axon 3500 lb Winch & Model Specific Mount - 2016-2018 Yamaha 700 Grizzly 4x4 ATV" kit and assumed it would work. Lesson learned...

After looking a bit I found a Warn application guide. According to that the Axon 35 should work with my model. But, it doesn't.

·
Super Moderator
1,078 Posts
I could have made the same mistake...I didn't even know there were application guides.

I have learned after some fitting problems to check and see if there is a certain plate, winch, part, or whatever when it comes to getting the right parts for anything. As you learned there are two Warn winch mounting plates, one for the plow and one that might work. I guess I had the one that might work since when I put my plow on I had to take the plows mounting plate and grind a notch into it where I could get my bumper back on. I have no idea if the other winch mounting plate would of worked or not but since I have to order everything I just made do.

Reactions: Primethious

·
Registered
462 Posts
Glad to hear you got the VRX on it, that's what I put on my 700 this winter and it does fit great with the warn mount.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts