Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a relative coming into Canada from The USA. He would like to bring his two ATVs along so we can go for a ride. Is there anything by law that he is required to do before entering Canada? Is he required to Register his ATVs prior to entering.

Super Moderator
I would say that he is going to need proof of ownership of the ATV's, and trailer if that is what he is hauling them on. That along with whatever your area requires of a non resident. If his ATV's are not registered where he lives in the US then I would say that he should have a 4457 forum filled out by the US Customs office before he crosses over from the US, that form is proof of ownership, the 4457 wouldn't be a bad idea even if they are registered.

I personally wouldn't bring anything into a different country without knowing exactly what is required by me so that I could bring it home. If he really wants to ride a ATV with you I would suggest a rental in your area.

Reactions: outbackandy

Registered
It cant be to difficult to bring them over, i see a lot of americans bring them into canada in the fall of the year to hunt deer with.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You (JimP). Will look into this 4457 form for sure. (Kodiakmatt) That was my thought as well I see Americans all the time in my area with boats and ATVs how hard can it be to bring them in. Again Thanks for both of you for your input.

Super Moderator
I did a couple of searches and came up with some old information:

They need proof of ownership, this can be their state registration stickers or license plate. If their state does not require a registration then that is where a form 4457 from US Customs would come in handy.

They also need insurance on the ATV. From what I read it is required in Canada along with whatever your provinces requires such as helmets.

Most of the information that I came up with was pre 2010 so take it for what it is worth. A call to your area law enforcement and border enforcement might be in order. I'm sure that they could tell you more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts