Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulls excessively to the right, toe-in correct, tie rods equal on each end, correct tire pressures. Brakes are not binding. No wrecks or abuse. Bought new in May 2020 and the dealer told me they can't get me into service until September. I'm new to this and I don't know if the noises from the front end are unusual. When the front end is supported off the ground and in neutral the right front wheel feels like excessive resistance, and not a consistent but like an uneven turning. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Super Moderator
68 Posts
Who did the check on the toe-in and tie rods?

Can you go to a different dealer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My brother and I did the measurements using the factory service manual. Both of us have worked in shops for years, both mootorcycles and cars. All of the measurements were well within the recommended range. The other local dealer is just as bad, the Yamaha rep a few years ago called it the worst chicken **** operation he had ever seen. When I stopped there to ask about this model the general manager told me Yamaha sent one per dealer (could not request one) as it is a limited availability. Where I bought the machine it had to be ordered but less than two weeks later I picked it up. Tires inflated to 30 pounds!

·
Registered
191 Posts
l would start working my way in to the diff . Loosen the axle castle nut, and spin again ( maybe to tight binding bearing ) . You stated the caliper was checked and not hanging up. So I would remove the steering knuckle and spin the half shaft and check for binding, paying attention to the cv joints also. If the half shaft is good and binding is still happening, we’ll then it depends on if you still have a warranty. If I had a warranty I would wait and take it in and have the diff looked at. If no warranty I would dig into the diff. The binding happens wether it’s in 4wd or 2wd correct ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rob. Yes, the binding happens in both 4 and 2 wheel drive. I just got off the phone with Yamaha customer service. He took notes and spoke with a tech who only asked if we aligned the front end. Atttached to my VIN are notes the service department will see when I return it to the dealer tomorrow where I purchased. I'll check in later with everyone when I learn something that may be of benefit.

On a side note, even worse experience with a brand new Harley. First was denial that there was a problem with the rear shocks. Next visit an oil leak and a service writer actually rode the bike and immediately filled a claim for the shocks which are junk still and the leak fixed with a gasket, back with the same leak (even worse), "it was a bad gasket", back again same problem, change the crank sensor, back again to change the motor case (retail $2000). About 700 miles in the back of my truck, 70 miles one way. After the repair I've put down 200 miles for a total of 604 miles. It is looking for a new home and I'm back to considering the Super Tenere or the FJR1300ES. Not the best of times lately for my motoring experience. But I've had more fun riding the trails with friends on my Kodiak than I've had in many years, hoping for a better response at the service center. Again, I'll share what I learn. Happy trails to all.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks Rob. Yes, the binding happens in both 4 and 2 wheel drive. I just got off the phone with Yamaha customer service. He took notes and spoke with a tech who only asked if we aligned the front end. Atttached to my VIN are notes the service department will see when I return it to the dealer tomorrow where I purchased. I'll check in later with everyone when I learn something that may be of benefit.

On a side note, even worse experience with a brand new Harley. First was denial that there was a problem with the rear shocks. Next visit an oil leak and a service writer actually rode the bike and immediately filled a claim for the shocks which are junk still and the leak fixed with a gasket, back with the same leak (even worse), "it was a bad gasket", back again same problem, change the crank sensor, back again to change the motor case (retail $2000). About 700 miles in the back of my truck, 70 miles one way. After the repair I've put down 200 miles for a total of 604 miles. It is looking for a new home and I'm back to considering the Super Tenere or the FJR1300ES. Not the best of times lately for my motoring experience. But I've had more fun riding the trails with friends on my Kodiak than I've had in many years, hoping for a better response at the service center. Again, I'll share what I learn. Happy trails to all.
Definitely post up what they find, I’m curios to know what it is. And good luck in the process ..

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
We had a poster here a couple of weeks ago who had a problem and thought that the drag that they were feeling when they turned the front tires while the front end was up in the air was not normal. In particular the right side. He got it into a dealer and they came out with that it is normal for the right side to do this. I haven't had mine up in the air for quite a while to check this. I've been too busy with a kitchen remodel to even go for a ride.

·
Super Moderator
68 Posts
@JimP Agreed when the bike is up in the air it will do that and that is considered normal. But the OP is also experiencing a pull to the right which, as everyone knows, is not normal.

OP i know you said you checked for binding caliper but do you have a laser thermometer where you could run the Kodiak and when you feel it pulling to the right. Stop and use your laser thermometer on both front rotors. See if the right side is much higher in temp. If so, that would be signs of a rotor heating up beyond normal and possibly causing a binding right caliper. There have also been limited reports of brake pads not seated correctly, causing uneven wear between the two pads on a caliper. I don't believe that is common, but worth a check too.

Reactions: Madmax and Rob-c
1 - 9 of 9 Posts