Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just replaced with rubber stems on the ATV trailer..both deeply cracked and one leaking. Approximately 5 years old. Definitely want the flexibility of rubber on an ATV. One thing no one has mentioned are the end caps. I had one crack /pop off and pack the valve mechanism with mud . Every car/atv/trailer of mine now wear high temperature metal stem caps. 2.99 at any parts store.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just replaced with rubber stems on the ATV trailer..both deeply cracked and one leaking. Approximately 5 years old. Definitely want the flexibility of rubber on an ATV. One thing no one has mentioned are the end caps. I had one crack /pop off and pack the valve mechanism with mud . Every car/atv/trailer of mine now wear high temperature metal stem caps. 2.99 at any parts store.
Good idea ,just a FYI if you have aluminum valve stems on a car/truck do not install the steel caps. Especially in the rust belt where they lay salt on the roads.

Reactions: RED KED HUSKER

·
Grizzled Mod
255 Posts
Anytime i worked out in the bay at the shop, i kept the new stem in my lips covered with spit ready to put it in the rim as soon as that tire was off the rim. It was like an extra hand.
That helps explain a lot ;) :p LOL and j/k.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Good idea ,just a FYI if you have aluminum valve stems on a car/truck do not install the steel caps. Especially in the rust belt where they lay salt on the roads.
Oh you are bringing back nightmares.... Do you have any idea how man old fussy men there are that have every square mm of chrome on thier old ford Ltd, or caddy. They come in for new tires avg want the little metal valve caps put back on the new stems.... Only we find them so corroded to the brass stem that they will not come off. You would think these guys lost a child when you tell them the caps didn't make it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
I used to have some nice hex head valve caps that I would take off before I would pull my truck into a tire shop.

The caps were designed to be under water on air pressure fittings so there was no problem getting them off but if I left them on when I picked up my truck I would have rubber valve caps and they would have no idea of where the metal ones were.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can’t tell you how many customers we had come in with nice shiny stainless steel valve stem caps on their aluminum tpms valve stems only to find out the the salt had caused galvanic corrosion. They were not happy when we told them there’s no way of getting the cap off with out ruining the tpms sensor. Had one guy get mad and drove around town to other shops to find out none could help him.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Isn't the metal on the rubber stems made of brass? I've never had corrosion issues with metal caps in all my years of using them on my trucks or sports cars. Only been on the ATV'S for 9 months. Never used any aluminum or chromed stems. The corrosion issues are with my knees and back. Red

·
Registered
414 Posts
Isn't the metal on the rubber stems made of brass? I've never had corrosion issues with metal caps in all my years of using them on my trucks or sports cars. Only been on the ATV'S for 9 months. Never used any aluminum or chromed stems. The corrosion issues are with my knees and back. Red
Yes , no stainless caps on aluminum stems , especially in the salt belt .

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Yes real valve stems are either plain brass or chrome plated brass. The only aluminum stems are cheap amazon one from china, or bicycle stems. Road salt will cause a galvanic corrosion between the brass avg a steel or aluminum valve cap.

Also, i agree 100% about that corrosion in your knees & back... I know that all too well

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RED KED HUSKER

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The Mongrels are on will give evaluation after a few miles..
20210409_095105.jpg
20210409_095239.jpg
20210409_095258.jpg

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
321 Posts
Seriously good looking tread.. looks like they would work well on the rocky terrain in my neck of the Ozark forest.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts