Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys or gals changed a valve stem? Im thinking of powder coating my rims and the stems gotta go. My question is should I use the rubber pull through type or the screw in type? Which is better? The screw in looks alot easier. Is there a reason not to use the screw in kind?

Super Moderator
I have had both types in vehicles, metal and rubber. The last time that I asked the tire shop to change the rubber one out to a steel one they told me that the rubber one was better. They claimed that the rubber one has a better chance of surviving if you hit something with it where a steel one will just bend. I've had rubber ones start to leak with age and I have had steel ones last the life of the vehicle that I had them on.

I would talk to the tire shop where you will likely go to have the tires dismounted before you have the rims coated and see what they say.

For what little they cost I'll just replace the rubber ones each time I swap tires over.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
I'm doing it myself,remove originals,Mount New ones. The shop is doing the powder coat. With the stems is the rubber ones you need a tool to pull them thru. I'm sure there cheap on Amazon,but I hate to buy a tool and only use it once. That's the reason I was looking at the metal screw on type..

Registered
Rubber...is what ive used, ofcourse with the tire bead off the rim though

Registered
Reactions: Jssrvlz

Super Moderator
I've spent over 10 years in the tire business, i can tell you first hand, you want rubber stems in atv wheels, we even replaced the steel stems in skidsteers with rubber because the metal ones snap off of bend ahead crack when struck by a rock or if your spinning in mud and a rock or log hits it.

Buy the rubber stems at your local tire shop and ask them to pop them in the rims for you if you don't want to buy the $8 tool.

Btw... Stems should be replaced every time you replace your tire, regardless of they look goid. Rubber ages and dries out. Nothing worse than a flat on a new tire because someone didn't replace a $2 valve stem.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
Stick with the rubber, their flexible and they seal better . Here鈥檚 a cheap little puller. https://www.autozone.com/tire-repai...VS-DICh0jLA9zEAQYCSABEgJn3_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
When removing original stem cut the bulbous (inside of rim) end off or almost off of the stem with side cutters makes it pull out way easier . When installing new stem put a dab of dish soap on the stem body it will pull easier .
That's not a puller, it's a core remover and thread repairer.
You can technically pull a stem with it, but it has thin sharp threads to cut and remove burrs and fix a damaged spot in a stem as you chase the threads. I've seen many stems ruined over the years by using that tool to install. Also, you have zero leverage on the stem.

This is the proper tool

Registered
I've always just used a pair of channel locks to remove/install rubber stems with no issues. Takes a bit of muscle, but unless you use steroids.. muscle is cheaper than an 8$ tool lol

Super Moderator
I've always just used a pair of channel locks to remove/install rubber stems with no issues. Takes a bit of muscle, but unless you use steroids.. muscle is cheaper than an 8$ tool lol
Hard to do on the proper short stubby stems for an atv. Usually end up bending the casing for the core.
I just prefer the proper tool for the job especially when it's that cheap

Reactions: Blmpkn

Registered
That's not a puller, it's a core remover and thread repairer.
You can technically pull a stem with it, but it has thin sharp threads to cut and remove burrs and fix a damaged spot in a stem as you chase the threads. I've seen many stems ruined over the years by using that tool to install. Also, you have zero leverage on the stem.

This is the proper tool

Don鈥檛 tell the valve stems iv鈥檈 installed over the years with it in the field in a pinch.is there better yep sure is, but this little tool will work for 4 stems.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I guess im going with the pull thru rubber ones.Ordered six of them cause i know i will screw up at least one. Thanks..

Super Moderator
Don鈥檛 tell the valve stems iv鈥檈 installed over the years with it in the field in a pinch.is there better yep sure is, but this little tool will work for 4 stems.
Like i said, yes it will work, just not the right tool for the job... But i will admit, that's actually a good idea to keep one in the repair kit with my plugs, along with a couple stems. Honestly never thought abiut replacing a stem on the trail.

Reactions: Rob-c

Super Moderator
Well, I guess im going with the pull thru rubber ones.Ordered six of them cause i know i will screw up at least one. Thanks..
Just put a couple drops of dish soap on the stem, not diluted. It's super slick and dries super sticky... Exactly the way you want tire lube. Do the same for mounting, soap on both beads, mount, air up and it dries sticky helping prevent the tire spinning on the rim like grease will do. Also it's safe for rubber, unlike grease or most aerosol lubes

Reactions: rancherMike

Super Moderator
I would hate to be the one on the trail trying to bread down a tire to replace the valve stem.

Then how much fun would it be with a small compressor to reseat the bead?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #15
They do have push in stems. Push in and turn,like a boat plug. The rubber expands and fills in the hole. Pretty smart to have away from home..

Super Moderator
Yep... New quality short rubber stemswith every new tire.. IMFO
We made it policy at my shop, new stems were included in price if a new car or light truck tire or atv/small ag tire. All transport tires, heavy equipment, and shall equipment are Sikhs stems at extra cost depending on style that customer wanted, but no stem was not an option with a new or retread tire. This policy alone saved us thousands of dollars a year in warranty claims. Something as simple as a valve stem... Who would have thought?

Reactions: rancherMike

Registered
Growing up on a farm and even now going on road calls sometimes one has to make due with what they have on hand. Spitting on a valve stem helps a bunch getting it to slide into the rim. Heck when I was a teenager I can鈥檛 tell you how many times we fixed a tractor / hay wagon etc. tire with basic hand tools in the field.

Super Moderator
Growing up on a farm and even now going on road calls sometimes one has to make due with what they have on hand. Spitting on a valve stem helps a bunch getting it to slide into the rim. Heck when I was a teenager I can鈥檛 tell you how many times we fixed a tractor / hay wagon etc. tire with basic hand tools in the field.
Lol i was going to say spit on the stem.... Anytime i worked out in the bay at the shop, i kept the new stem in my lips covered with spit ready to put it in the rim as soon as that tire was off the rim. It was like an extra hand.

Every one of my guys could bang a 4 tire change over out in 15-20 min. That's car in the bay, 4 new tires installed, balanced, back on the car she paperwork handed in to me to finish up with customer.
My personal best was on an old 90s civic, 12m8s. Done. I was not the fastest, i had one guy who was big and slow, but he could pick up the pace to install tires when he wanted. Lol just over 11m.

I get so frustrated now taking my truck to a shop and it's over an hour for them to do 4 tires. I started doing them in my apartment living room... Seriously.

On a side note, those push in stems are $28 cdn for 2...... Pricy up here. But better than a long walk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts