Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, there are some owners having smoking and oil consumption issues with their 16's. Apparently they had a bad batch of valve guides. The engines are all made by Subaru for Yamaha. I hear that Yamaha is aware of the issue and has been paying for the repairs when owners are taking them to task. I am told that they are aware of issues with the air filters and boxes on the grizzleys/kodiaks and are working to redesign them. I am thinking a good way to test for bad quides would be a leak down test. Yes? No?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine has 200 miles on it and is smoking on start up. The smoke goes away. It has not used any oil that I can detect . A leak down test might or might not work. If the valve is seated than it may not work.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't think a leakdown test would show worn guides, because compression won't leak by them. I haven't seen any oil consumption from mine, just a bit of white smoke or steam when first started

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same with mine. I'm assuming it's condensation. Yeah, now that you mention it, the guides could be falling out and the valves still hold in a test. Removal of pipe and a peak in the exhaust port would tell though. I would be pissed if my new machine was using oil.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If your interested in replacement air filter that will seal, here is one that I found on our forum from Magard. He has replaced his original air filter with this Napa air filter
Not sure about the smoke, but on the grizzly forum they seem to think that it might be dust getting into the engine.
JFK.. you have mentioned in forums that your a mechanic by trade, what are your thoughts on "dusting an engine". Could this be the cause of the smoke and if replacing this air filter from a foam filter, will it help or harm the engine?
Thanks

http://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/106-yamaha-kodiak-700-general-discussion/4058-air-filter-fix.html

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would say dusting an engine is a bad thing. Very bad - the dust would act like sandpaper and would take out the rings and cylinder walls after a short time. It wouldn't hurt the valves, but it would be bad news for the bottom end. Anything that will help prevent the engine from sucking dust will make it happy.

I spoke too soon about mine not smoking, BTW. I traded it in today on a Can Am Maverick (I will make a post about that shortly, just wanted to answer this one first). When I started it up to take it off the trailer at the dealership it emitted a cloud of thick, blue smoke and kept smoking for probably about a minute. I was mortified, because the salesman probably thinks I was trying to dump a broken machine. Nothing could be further from the truth - as I said in another post I had been considering a SXS due to a wrist injury that makes operating the Kodiak (or any other ATV) very painful. Aside from those few cold start issues this machine had been trouble free. The paperwork had already been signed when the smoke show started, but I told the salesman that I would undo the deal if he wanted, after seeing the smoke. He wasn't worried, though, because the bike still has warranty until April.

Now I'm off to make my official "Bye, Kodiak" post... :crying:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spoke to the dealership service rep today and told him about the smoking at start up issue. He said that the bike needs to be run a minimum 45 min each time it is started and that the plug fouls causing smoke if ridden at slower speeds on a regular basis. To me, he is full of it. The Kodiak is marketed as a work machine. Who flies around at sped while working with a quad?

·
Registered
142 Posts
That sucks J4K probably wont hear much from you now that you jumped ship on us. I always enjoy reading your post and looking at what u are building or wiring up. Keep us posted on what you think of the can am as time progresses

·
Registered
23 Posts
x2 on that. Keep us informed on all your updates on the new "side by side". Wish ya all the best J4K

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't worry, I'm still around. And rest assured, the Maverick will be lit up like Las Vegas soon enough. Matter of fact thanks to eBay and Amazon I am singlehandedly keeping the North American economy alive right now. Lots of stuff ordered... Lift kit, mirrors, light bars, some electronic goodies... I do tend to keep myself busy

Reactions: JimP

·
Registered
112 Posts
I actually tried posting pics of it the day I got it. Don't know whether the post just didn't work or if it got deleted. It just wasn't there, and I didn't bother posting it again. Some of my stuff arrived today, and hopefully some more will come this week, because I'm tearing into it this weekend

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From scouring through some other forums, I have come to find out that some early 16 cylinder heads were improperly bored out for the valves and guides. The holes are oblong causing oil consumption and the head is basically throw away. The thing that really bothers me is that Yamaha obviously knew about the issue because they fixed it at some point. But , to me , they should have recalled the machines that may be affected and inspect them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello to all. I have a question for those of you who have had their valve seals replaced. I'm trying to find out if your machines were under warranty when the blue smoke started.

Thanks...

·
Registered
55 Posts
well I have had some smoking on start up too. not every time probably less then half the starts but it does smoke. I also have the 4x4 switch issue too. guess I gotta go to the dealer and ask some questions soon.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine was down a quarter of a litre between first and second service with no leaks. I changed it myself to shell rotella t6 synthetic immediately after second service.i am monitoring closely. Haven't used the machine much since early spring 17. Still low mileage. I have plowed my driveway three times so far this winter and I can smell oil when I back up while plowing. If the bike goes through any more oil before next service, Yamaha is going to have a fight on their hands.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took mine to the dealer yesterday to see if a leak down test would find anything. In talking to the service manager, he acted as if he'd never heard of a problem with valve guides on these machines. Of course, that's exactly what I expected to hear. I'm sure that's their standard reply when a customer has a problem.

I know from my mechanicing days that when the valve stems are not sealing in the head, and if it's an overhead valve motor, the blue smoke is from leaking valve guide seals. Nothing else causes this symptom. I don't know if a leak down test will be an effective way to test for leaking seals. Do any of you know?

I'll post the response....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts