Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for info about getting a V Plow for my Kodiak. This will be first time getting a plow.

Super Moderator
Any reason for a V plow instead of a straight blade? I believe that there is another member here that has one but I am not sure.

I have been plowing with a straight blade now for close to 20 years and the only problem that I have had with any of it is the wear on the wear blade when I place the plow on a angle to push the snow off of the driveway or sidewalk.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Besides doing the driveway and making path in yard, I want use the V plow for trails and going on lake for ice fishing.

Registered
Any v plow available would be really heavy I believe but not sure. Boss might make one but not sure. I think plowing trails might be a tall order regardless of what you use on an atv.

Registered
Just Google 鈥渁tv v snow plow鈥 you will get a lot of choices popping up to look at.
I plow the trails around my property all winter with straight tapered blade with ease. The tapered blade throws the snow farther off to the side.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update:
I looked into Eagle Plow System for V plow. The other companies Boss and Moose have switched to making them for UTV from what I understand

This is the info I found on Eagle Plow, is manufacturer : American MFG, I looking at website northstaratv.com
parts#:
#1- 2610 Mid Mount
#2- 2906 System push tube
#3- 2919 is the V-blade

I looked up the front mount, what are guys thoughts? if use a front mount I would need a counter weight from what I understand

3920 is Gen II front plow mount
3906 Gen II push tube go with the mount I think

Registered
I thought about a V plow, but decided against it for driveway purposes.
It sounds like a good idea though for trails as long as there are no small sapling stumps in the paths like we have out here.

Registered
Being from the Same area as the OP I also use a straight blade, I plow woods paths driveways and in front of my house. I am about 1.5 north ish, and it hasn't stopped snowing and I wouldn't go V based no weight alone. My straight Kolpin plow with my Shocks Set at 5 Still pulls the front down a bit and that has not been with a wet snow that we are prone to getting. I had to switch to a plow strap due to killing winch cables constantly. Just my 2 cents.

Registered
A straight blade allows you to widen the plowed trail by almost the width of the blade each pass. A V plow will only widen the initial pass by less than half the overall width of the plow. As well you cannot push up any ridges that are left.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Laval: The V plow I'm looking does have option of being straight, or slanted either side.

Super Moderator
If you use wire cable for the winch line it will get worked a lot as it goes through the pulley and over the rollers and eventually break

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
A straight blade allows you to widen the plowed trail by almost the width of the blade each pass. A V plow will only widen the initial pass by less than half the overall width of the plow. As well you cannot push up any ridges that are left.
a V plow is hinged in the center, it can go straight, angle to either side, or reverse V to ack similar to a bucket/pusher

Registered
So I kept snapping cables like yarn due to the angle my hook connects to my plow, this year I am working on a pulley an running my hook back up to my rack, I had my plow installed at the dealership and only get about 6 inches of lift if I am lucky that's why I had to go to a strap due to the stress.

Super Moderator
So I kept snapping cables like yarn due to the angle my hook connects to my plow, this year I am working on a pulley an running my hook back up to my rack, I had my plow installed at the dealership and only get about 6 inches of lift if I am lucky that's why I had to go to a strap due to the stress.
I hope you either reinforce your rack with a chunk of angle, or don't mind a rack bent all to ****. When I was looking at used bikes a few years ago, I saw alot with bent racks from a plow pulley. And mildly bent ones from guys just hooking the hook there and then snug the winch line for storage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
I use to hook my winch to the rack on my old Bruin with a 48' blade. When I got a larger heavier plow for my 700 Kodiak I looked into other ways to to connect the winch. I have 2 methods that work much better. I discovered that local dealers here were installing a eye bolt to the center of push tubes right between where the push tubes are connected to the center mount connection pins. So the winch rope goes straight down to and around the pulley then back under the bike to the eye bolt. This is what I'm currently using. Last winter I used a winch strap that went straight down to the pulley but I removed the pulley and put in a quick release pin in it's place and connected the strap to the pin. I like both methods, both work well and are better choice than the connecting to the rack.

Registered
Here are pictures of both examples.

Attachments

Super Moderator
My old 2000 Kodiak had a bracket that was supplied by Warn for the cable to connect to. The winch cable went from the winch down to the plow bracket and straight back up to the bracket which fit over part of the bumper. This now only wore on the roller flair head but also the cable. But in around 15 years of plowing with it I only snapped one winch cable once it started to wear and fray. I also had to replace one flair head where the winch line started to bite into it.
This was on a under the frame mount for the plow.

Now on my front mount plow on my 2016 the cable goes from the winch to a area around the plow piviot where it goes through a pulley and then angles back up to a strap that is in the plow kit that wraps around the front rack. In a couple years of plowing I haven seen any problems but I might figure out a steel bar to fit across the front bottom of the rack for more strength than the tubular rack to attach the winch hook to.

The plow kit came with a fiber pulley that was attached closer to the machine but I ordered the pulley kit that fits further towards the front of the plow which decreases the angle of the cable to it.

You can see the strap around the front rack in this picture. I just used some mule tape that I had right at first but went back to the factory strap.

Registered
I hope you either reinforce your rack with a chunk of angle, or don't mind a rack bent all to ****. When I was looking at used bikes a few years ago, I saw alot with bent racks from a plow pulley. And mildly bent ones from guys just hooking the hook there and then snug the winch line for storage.

That is why I have not done it yet. I am very picky about it and don't want to bend it all up. I am still trying to figure out how to get more lift with out bending anything. I might be posting pictures soon and getting input. I am not sure if the dealership installed something wrong or just used a universal kit when they should have used the correct mounts to push the plow out further. Either way I am only getting about 8-12 inches of lift if I am lucky.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts