Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy felt like starting a clearance contest by lifting his sxs (I was winning), so naturally now I need to lift the kodiak.

There aren't any portals made for my machine, not that I could afford them anyway.. and I know that a bracket&spring spacer lift won't give me results id be happy with. So I'm going to install longer shocks.

Id like to achieve 1.5" of lift all around, won't be as hard on axles as 2+" would be, itll allow me to continue making fun of his machine, and considering my 27.5" tires just barely rub in the rear as is... i should be able to then run a 29.5" tire with no rubbing and enjoy a total of 2.5" additional clearance.

The front shocks on a 2020 kodiak 450 measure about 14.75 eye to eye and the rears are 15.5.

With the rear shocks fully extended I have 13-3/8" clearance. With the rears compressed 1" that figure drops to 12-1/4". So, 1" difference at the shock = 1.125" change in clearance. This isnt exact due to the overly nerdy science and maths of suspension geometry.. but for my intents and purpose.. its close enough.

From what I've gathered, It seems like 2019 grizzly front shocks will work perfectly in the rear of my kodiak. 2019 grizzly front shocks are 1.25" longer than my rears, and therefore should give my machine just a hair under 1.5" of lift out back.

Perfect! Off the shelf, even from the same brand of machine. I really just need to know the depth of the eyes. @Vincent , if you have your old shocks laying around.. any chance you could hook it up with a measurement? The width between the mounting ears for my shocks in the rear seems to be 1-1/8"

I havnt figured anything out concerning the front yet, well cross that bridge when we get to it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Curiosity got the best of me and I took some quick (potentially too quick) measurements for the front.

With the shock compressed to 13-5/8" there is 12" of front clearance. With it fully extended at 14.75" there appears to be roughly 14" front clearance. This more or less tells me that id only need to increase the length of the front shocks roughly half of what my desired lift is.

However, I think i may have muffed some numbers up or misread the tape I used. Those numbers would suggest that where the shock meets the control arm would be near the middle, and its definitely further out than that. Need to measure again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'll measure that tomorrow for you.

Mite be wrong but I don't believe longer shocks will fit easily. I accidentally tried to install one of my rear shocks in front when switching to my new Elkas. The rears are only one inch longer then the fronts but in my case they don't even come close to bolting up in front

·
Registered
766 Posts
29.5" tires with 26 hp? I'm guessing a lot of clutch mod's will be necessary. I agree with Vincent on the shocks. I'd be suprised if they fit.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll measure that tomorrow for you.

Mite be wrong but I don't believe longer shocks will fit easily. I accidentally tried to install one of my rear shocks in front when switching to my new Elkas. The rears are only one inch longer then the fronts but in my case they don't even come close to bolting up in front
Aah dont tell me that! Lol. Would put a damper on my master plan.. no pun intended -__- oh well. Ill have to unbolt my shocks and see how much further down they can be stretched. Thanks in advance though!

29.5" tires with 26 hp? I'm guessing a lot of clutch mod's will be necessary. I agree with Vincent on the shocks. I'd be suprised if they fit.
Definitely would need clutch mods. I didnt do any when I installed my 27.5"s which weigh 30lbs each for the front and 33 for the rears..and the performance isn't completely awful.

I have to use low gear a little more often now, but shims will bring it more or less back to stock and then if I do end up with larger tires it'll bring me back to around where I am now. Which I'd likely be alright with, if not ill have to get the sheave machined.. no biggie.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Top shock mount is 1.255"
Bottom shock mount is 1.275"

Same for front and rears

Attachments

Reactions: Blmpkn

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slightly too wide as is then, but the eye could easily be knocked down a touch to fit. Thank you very much.

I havnt removed a shock to see how much more downtravel the suspension has yet, hopefully today.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, had a few minutes just now and removed a front and rear shock to see how much further the suspension could be persuaded down.

Like vincent said, not terribly far. Certainly not as much as I was hoping/needing for my idea to come to fruition.

The rear will drop about an inch, and thats using some muscle. A seeming no go for the grizzly front shocks here.

The front, with no applied pressure on the tire will drop ALMOST 3/4". This would be enough to utilize my machines rear shocks up front, and retain a certain amount of ride quality over spring spacers while providing me with about 1.5" lift.

Which direction I head now is the question.. Likely just towards a highlifter type kit with a rear bracket and front spacers for simplicitys sake (getting kinda tired of endless searching out shocks in the length I need lol), and see how I feel about the ride quality up front. If I hate it, at least now I know I have the option of buying a pair of rear shocks to run up front, and retain a proper amount of sag.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Alright, had a few minutes just now and removed a front and rear shock to see how much further the suspension could be persuaded down.

Like vincent said, not terribly far. Certainly not as much as I was hoping/needing for my idea to come to fruition.

View attachment 10389

The rear will drop about an inch, and thats using some muscle. A seeming no go for the grizzly front shocks here.

The front, with no applied pressure on the tire will drop ALMOST 3/4". This would be enough to utilize my machines rear shocks up front, and retain a certain amount of ride quality over spring spacers while providing me with about 1.5" lift.

Which direction I head now is the question.. Likely just towards a highlifter type kit with a rear bracket and front spacers for simplicitys sake (getting kinda tired of endless searching out shocks in the length I need lol), and see how I feel about the ride quality up front. If I hate it, at least now I know I have the option of buying a pair of rear shocks to run up front, and retain a proper amount of sag.
Front grizzly shocks are 16 3/4 " eye to eye

Rear grizzly shocks are 17 3/4" eye to eye

·
Registered
13 Posts
High lifter kit for 19 kodiak 450 seems just fine, makes things a little stiffer but some amount of clearance is good for where I ride. I've had it on for a good 500+miles, no issues still on stock tire

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
High lifter kit for 19 kodiak 450 seems just fine, makes things a little stiffer but some amount of clearance is good for where I ride. I've had it on for a good 500+miles, no issues still on stock tire
Hey someone else with a 450! Been thinking I was the only one lol.

I ended up redeeming my accrued ebay mastercard points last night and scored a 1.5" bracket/spacer lift for 38.50$ shipped to my door. It should be here by the middle of next week! Can't beat that price point.

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
2019 Grizzly 700
Front grizzly shocks are 16 3/4 " eye to eye

Rear grizzly shocks are 17 3/4" eye to eye
@Blmpkn have you considered the Kodiak 700 or 2007-2013 Grizzly 700/550 shock lengths? 2013 vs 2014 Grizzly 700 shock lengths I'm assuming the Kodiak 700 shock lengths are similar in length.

For those that are interested I have found the following info. 2013 and older Grizzly 700 takes the following shock lengths:
Front = 14.1” Long with 4.3” travel and 9.8” compressed
Rear = 16.0” Long with 4.3” travel and 11.7” compressed

The 2014 -15 model Grizzly 700 takes the following shock length:
Front = 16.69” Long with 4.31” travel and 12.38” compressed
Rear = 17.63” Long with 4.67” travel and 12.96” compressed

Reactions: Vincent and Blmpkn

·
Registered
13 Posts
450s been great! Surely can't beat that price. You may need a spring compressor for the front spacers fyi.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Blmpkn have you considered the Kodiak 700 or 2007-2013 Grizzly 700/550 shock lengths? 2013 vs 2014 Grizzly 700 shock lengths I'm assuming the Kodiak 700 shock lengths are similar in length.
I had, but the lengths weren't quite what I was looking for initially. Turns out the front shocks from those years WOULD likely fit on the rear of my 450, but.. I just caved and bought a lift lol.

450s been great! Surely can't beat that price. You may need a spring compressor for the front spacers fyi.
I like mine. A 700 would be neat but I know I'd be going through more axles lol.

I have a pair of automotive compressors, not sure if they're small enough for the atv springs though.. well see this afternoon. I gotta drop em off to my buddy so he can finish the lift on his machine.

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
I recently replaced my front OEM springs with HighLifter springs and researched the heck out of spring compressors. Almost across the board automotive spring compressors would not work on ATV or SxS springs because of the tightness of the gap on the ATV/SxS spring. Then you have the backyard mechanic using 4 ratchet straps but that looks pretty sketchy. I started looking at specific spring compressors for ATV springs and found a lot of dislike and cheapness for almost all of the ATV spring compressors except for the HighLifter spring compressor. Problem is the HL compressor seems to be always out of stock. I did finally locate a HL spring compressor, bought it and found it to be well made. I can say with confidence that I would not have wanted to use a sub-par spring compressor or ratchet straps on the HL hd springs. Maybe on the OEM it would have been OK. I'd be willing to bet SxS OEM springs would also be something I'd want the HL spring compressor for as well. With the HL compressor, you will want a very solid vise bolted to a solid work bench.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've been doing the rachet strap idea for years on many, many shocks. I agree it does carry it's risks. You certainly need to be aware of finger placement...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My auto spring compressors were indeed too large to fit in either of our springs. Ordered a set of tusk compressors, should be here the same day my lift is.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

Well, my lift came in today. Got the back installed. Whats advertised as a 1.5" lift actually gave me 2.25". Sitting at 14.5" of clearance under the rear now. I may wind the spring preload down a touch to make life for the axles a touch easier. The little 450 almost makes its 28"s look small now.

I bought the lift off ebay. Its unbranded, seems like whoever the seller is probably makes them out of their garage. Theyre listed at 65$. I got mine cheaper by using accrued ebay mastercard points. A MUCH better price point than the other brands for what you get honestly. The kit included nice stainless hardware with nylock nuts. The hardware is even metric, I was surprised, considering the price (usually metric costs more, and small operations like this guy will provide you with standard hardware). Very happy with what I paid and what I got.

Waiting for my tusk spring compressors to arrive to get the front done. They should be here this week. Really getting amped up for spring now! Only 2 months and a week until we can ride again up here.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tusk compressors came today, and I got the front lift installed. 14" of clearance, shocks of course sitting maxed out.

When I sit on it the shocks mabey compress a half inch or so.. Enough so that if I rock it back and forth slightly I get the thud of the shocks topping out. If that ends up being super noticeable while riding I wager it'll be annoying enough where ill buy a set of rear shocks for the front, and get my lift while retaining an amount of sag. Well see, definitely gonna give the cost effective method a good try first lol.

·
Super Moderator
958 Posts
Tusk compressors came today, and I got the front lift installed. 14" of clearance, shocks of course sitting maxed out.

When I sit on it the shocks mabey compress a half inch or so.. Enough so that if I rock it back and forth slightly I get the thud of the shocks topping out. If that ends up being super noticeable while riding I wager it'll be annoying enough where ill buy a set of rear shocks for the front, and get my lift while retaining an amount of sag. Well see, definitely gonna give the cost effective method a good try first lol.
If those fronts are maxed oit access you can make them thud just sitting ahead rocking, then you better order replacement shocks now. Those won't have much life in them after a couple rides.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts