Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading on here for a while about the advantages of changing out the clutch weights, adding shims, and doing a stiffer spring. With some encouragement from Vincent, I went for it. Since I’ve added 27” tires, it had been lugging on hills a lot worse. Response had been a little labored too.
I went with the 20 gram grizzly weights, 1.5mm shims, and purple EPI spring. This wknd I had it back together and hit a local trail for a quick rip. What a difference!!! The machine runs (guessing) 1000 rpm higher all the time. Rolling corners puts it right in the power band coming out. Technical riding allows for adequate power at slower speeds now. Going up steep hills it actually backshifts, and will full-blown rooster tail if I tag it. It doesn’t bog, lug, or anything. It engaged just as smooth as ever, and would never know anything was different.
We will see if it drinks more gas. It’s certainly more rpm, but it actually takes less throttle input since it’s running on the torque curve.
I kinda miss the engine sound - it used to sound like an old John Deere, pop pop pop at 1500 rpm or something. But the power and response is amazing!

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Thanks man, that post is just what I wanted to hear.I plan on getting a 26inch tire but still shopping for a brand. So that little bit of money made a noticeable difference?
I was wondering if there is a in between weights like a 24ish.Just something between the Grizzly and the Kodiak. Im shopping for a mostly road or hardpack tire so there not as heavy as a mud tire. Im leaning towards the roackabilly radial..
Thanks again for that post it answered the questions I keep wondering about..

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to be 20 gram and 18 gram weights available. I started with the 20’s, and figured I could “go all out” in the future with 18’s.
The machine really does run higher rpm and is obviously louder, etc. But doing a hill-climb was really challenging before. Now it’s effortless. The shims really help too, as it’s like changing your gear ratio. Helps off-set the larger tires.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks man, that post is just what I wanted to hear.I plan on getting a 26inch tire but still shopping for a brand. So that little bit of money made a noticeable difference?
I was wondering if there is a in between weights like a 24ish.Just something between the Grizzly and the Kodiak. Im shopping for a mostly road or hardpack tire so there not as heavy as a mud tire. Im leaning towards the roackabilly radial..
Thanks again for that post it answered the questions I keep wondering about..
EPI has weights in between the kodiak 30 and grizzly 18’s , they are a bit pricey as you have to buy the weights and the sleeves separate. ATV / UTV - Clutch Weights - Yamaha - Page 1 - EPI
I am going to try and diy lighten my stock weights . I want to do 24 then 22 then 20 to see what I like.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I checked out the e.p.i. website.Do you add the weight of the housing? So if I want 24gram weights I get the 22gram weights and the weight of the housing makes up the difference?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I checked out the e.p.i. website.Do you add the weight of the housing? So if I want 24gram weights I get the 22gram weights and the weight of the housing makes up the difference?
yep total weight ..

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have been reading on here for a while about the advantages of changing out the clutch weights, adding shims, and doing a stiffer spring. With some encouragement from Vincent, I went for it. Since I’ve added 27” tires, it had been lugging on hills a lot worse. Response had been a little labored too.
I went with the 20 gram grizzly weights, 1.5mm shims, and purple EPI spring. This wknd I had it back together and hit a local trail for a quick rip. What a difference!!! The machine runs (guessing) 1000 rpm higher all the time. Rolling corners puts it right in the power band coming out. Technical riding allows for adequate power at slower speeds now. Going up steep hills it actually backshifts, and will full-blown rooster tail if I tag it. It doesn’t bog, lug, or anything. It engaged just as smooth as ever, and would never know anything was different.
We will see if it drinks more gas. It’s certainly more rpm, but it actually takes less throttle input since it’s running on the torque curve.
I kinda miss the engine sound - it used to sound like an old John Deere, pop pop pop at 1500 rpm or something. But the power and response is amazing!
Glad everything worked out for you!

I did not like the effects of the purple spring on my 19 grizzly . Only ran it for a 3 rides before switching back to stock spring..

·
Registered
774 Posts
Could you please elaborate.Explain why didn't you like the purple spring?
I found it reved too much when taking off from a dead stop. Felt kinda like I was in low range but not in a good way...

The Purple spring held back my CVT weights from shifting up too much , causing alot of reving that I didn't like. Turns out , I really like the shift up carateristics of the stock spring / 18 gram grizzly weights.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does your Grizzly have the same spring as our Kodiak’s?
I find myself riding a lot of hills and mountains. Having the “back shift” from the stiffer spring seems ideal. I was getting frustrated trying to climb with the stock stuff. Right now it seems pretty good with 20 gram weights and the purple spring- but I’m only 10 miles in. Lol!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Does your Grizzly have the same spring as our Kodiak’s?
I find myself riding a lot of hills and mountains. Having the “back shift” from the stiffer spring seems ideal. I was getting frustrated trying to climb with the stock stuff. Right now it seems pretty good with 20 gram weights and the purple spring- but I’m only 10 miles in. Lol!
Yes they are the same springs.

Agree the stock Kodiak’s set up is quite lazy! In comparison grizzly's are very well clutched in stock form

Also , I believe 20 gram weights would have been a better balance with the EPI purple spring for my requirements

Clutching is a very personal affair. What is ideal for one may not be to everyone else. What matters is that each and everyone is happy with your set ups...

Reactions: MarshMaster
1 - 11 of 11 Posts