Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
Yamaha 2021 Kodiak 450eps se Yamaha 2020 WR250r
13 Posts
Hey everyone. After I signed up I realized there is no 450 section so if this is 700 only, I’ll see myself out. I bought an 18 450 new and then met my gf and bought a 19 so we could ride together. We both love it. However, mine has seen conditions that it shouldn’t. We are in drought so me and a couple buddies went to the river to ride. Only a couple feet deep or less in 90% of it. But I found a hole. She went mostly under and it died. Got it out within 30 sec, checked the air box (dry) and drained the belt. Fired right up. I made it almost back home and it died, on dry land. Couldn’t hear the pump prime. Blows the fuel injection fuse immediately on the turn of the key. Towed it home, took it apart, cleaned and greased every connection I can find on the machine. Well it blows the 10 amp fuse still but it doesn’t blow a 15. However, the pump is very loud when it primes with the 15 amp fuse. It seems to run fine but I don’t want to run it for more than a few seconds. So, its pulling too much power somewhere? I know I haven’t contributed yet on the forum but I would like some advice on what to do next, besides stay out of the water. Thank you!
I have posted this reply about the F.I. fuse blowing on a couple of other sites, I went through the same thing, had the atv for eight months and this is what happened. A search led to a post with someone having a similar problem and then a few others replied, a forum member named Rick7 had a detailed write up about his experience which helped me out tremendously. Just trying to get the word out that there seems to be issues with the fuel pumps in some of Yamaha atvs.

Update! So I dropped my atv off September 2, 2021 and picked it up yesterday, 9/28/21. Yamaha replaced the fuel pump, complete assembly ( BB5-13907-03-00), starter relay assembly (5B4-81940-00-00), o-ring (1S3-24486-00-00) and relay assembly (8DM-81950-11-00) under warranty. No charge for parts, diagnostics or labor.
The mechanics resolution was listed as follows:
1) unit is blowing 10 amp fuel system fuse on starter relay every time its attempted to be started, customer says fuse has been blowing intermittently on start up and now all the time.
-inspected wiring and connections, no visible issues
-hooked up amp tester in place of fuel system fuse, amps would spike up to 16 amps when unit is starting and fuel pump initially comes on.
-if fuel pump is disconnected amps stay very low.
-recommend replacing pump and corresponding relays and fuses.

So there it is at least for me. After I dropped the machine off at the dealer I called the Yamaha North America Customer Service number that Rick7 included in his post above and they already knew that the dealer had the atv and said it most likely would be covered under warranty even though...wait for it...my warranty expired five days prior. This leads me to assume that there is a service bulletin on this issue but the customer service rep at Yamaha North America denied this. At any rate as pissed off as I was initially they did end up standing behind their product and other than the cost of my time and labor to drop off and pick up the Kodiak 450 it seems to be fine now. Pro Tip- I'll be bringing some 15 amp fuses just in case ;-)

Thanks to Rick7 at Grizzly Central for having relevant searchable info for this problem.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700 Stock 2019 Kodiak 450 1.5” lift on 27s 2018 Kodiak 450 Stock
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I have posted this reply about the F.I. fuse blowing on a couple of other sites, I went through the same thing, had the atv for eight months and this is what happened. A search led to a post with someone having a similar problem and then a few others replied, a forum member named Rick7 had a detailed write up about his experience which helped me out tremendously. Just trying to get the word out that there seems to be issues with the fuel pumps in some of Yamaha atvs.

Update! So I dropped my atv off September 2, 2021 and picked it up yesterday, 9/28/21. Yamaha replaced the fuel pump, complete assembly ( BB5-13907-03-00), starter relay assembly (5B4-81940-00-00), o-ring (1S3-24486-00-00) and relay assembly (8DM-81950-11-00) under warranty. No charge for parts, diagnostics or labor.
1) unit is blowing 10 amp fuel system fuse on starter relay every time its attempted to be started, customer says fuse has been blowing intermittently on start up and now all the time.
-hooked up amp tester in place of fuel system fuse, amps would spike up to 16 amps when unit is starting and fuel pump initially comes on.

So there it is at least for me. After I dropped the machine off at the dealer I called the Yamaha North America Customer Service number that Rick7 included in his post above and they already knew that the dealer had the atv and said it most likely would be covered under warranty even though...wait for it...my warranty expired five days prior. This leads me to assume that there is a service bulletin on this issue but the customer service rep at Yamaha North America denied this. At any rate as pissed off as I was initially they did end up standing behind their product and other than the cost of my time and labor to drop off and pick up the Kodiak 450 it seems to be fine now. Pro Tip- I'll be bringing some 15 amp fuses just in case ;-)

Thanks to Rick7 at Grizzly Central for having relevant searchable info for this problem.
That’s great info. Thank you! Sounds like my problem. I assumed (and maybe it still was) that it was my fault due to sinking it 30 min prior lol. Coincidence? Maybe. I had the same symptoms and the same fix. The labor was super easy. Took me 20 min maybe. But the pump was $350. I didn’t even think about calling the dealer because 1) I was the dumbass that took it through the river and 2) I have had it a couple years at this point. I do have a couple 15 amp fuses on board too just in case I need to get it home!

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts

Glad that they took care of you.

But on packing some 15 amp fuses, never replace a 10 amp fuse with a 15 amp fuse unless you want to possibly see your machine turn into a charred chunk of metal and melted plastic. If the fuse that was blowing is a 10 amp carry some 10 amp fuses with you. Circuits are protected by a specific amp of a fuse to prevent damage to the wiring and perhaps a fire started by melted wiring.

Reactions: JD864

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad that they took care of you.

But on packing some 15 amp fuses, never replace a 10 amp fuse with a 15 amp fuse unless you want to possibly see your machine turn into a charred chunk of metal and melted plastic. If the fuse that was blowing is a 10 amp carry some 10 amp fuses with you. Circuits are protected by a specific amp of a fuse to prevent damage to the wiring and perhaps a fire started by melted wiring.
I hear you and am aware of the dangers of using a higher amperage fuse but in a pinch it might get you out of the woods or on the truck if this specific issue strikes you in a bad spot. Then call your dealer and let them know about it, do not use that as a permanent fix. This seems to affect some of the later model Kodiak 450s.

Reactions: bachman44

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
If you have ever seen a electrical fire because a higher amperage fuse was used you would never do it.

It may not start the fire right away but as the higher amps are drawn through the wire the insulation will start to get hot and melt, then the wires next to it will start to melt and cause more problems.

But it is your Kodiak, do as you think is best.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you have ever seen a electrical fire because a higher amperage fuse was used you would never do it.

It may not start the fire right away but as the higher amps are drawn through the wire the insulation will start to get hot and melt, then the wires next to it will start to melt and cause more problems.

The spike seems to occur only when powering up initially but thank you for your descriptive concern and warning.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
What’s the best way to go for new air cleaners? Just get a new foam cover? K&n?

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts

You are 100% right on this Jim, years of experience and being preached that same line from multiple mechanics over the years. Never replace with a larger fuse not even just for a couple minutes. It only takes a few seconds to start melting the insulation on the wire. All it does is open up a bigger can of worms.
I owned a car audio business in my late teens and early 20s, been through this thousands of times. Now with doing electrical work as a side gig in my spare time, again i see this, be it in a house fuse/breaker panel or working on a car or a atv/sxs, it really surprises me how many people blue a fuse a couple times and thier fix is to use a larger one. It almost aleays results in me handing to replace wire.

But you just can't beat that in some people's head.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I don't know if you have been around long enough or have lived in areas where there are old enough homes that had a fuse panel with screw in fuses. People used to place pennies into the hole after they removed the fuse after it had blown and then replace the fuse. So instead of having a 15 or so amp fuse they now had a 200 amp fuse.

Many homes burnt down because of this, I actually rewired a home after the renter had done this. His excuse was that he couldn't find a screw in fuse.

Reactions: JD864

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
I don't know if you have been around long enough or have lived in areas where there are old enough homes that had a fuse panel with screw in fuses. People used to place pennies into the hole after they removed the fuse after it had blown and then replace the fuse. So instead of having a 15 or so amp fuse they now had a 200 amp fuse.

Many homes burnt down because of this, I actually rewired a home after the renter had done this. His excuse was that he couldn't find a screw in fuse.
Yup, that's what i grew up with. No breakers, just screw in, we even used one spot for a 100w lightbulb screwed in the panel instead of a fuse to light the utility area. Kept one old leather work glove on top of the panel that ya put on to unscrew the hot bulb when done.... A light socket age switch would have been so much better. Lol
Then in earky 2000s, my dad started replacing all the glass fuses with breaker fuses. Little button you push back in when it pops.
To this day, there is still a light bulb and a glove on top of that panel. Lol

Had to go find a couple pics, some of these guys are gonna think we are crazy Jim

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
The first house that I bought had a glass fuse box that I planned on changing out. Well, one night I came home to no lights in the house. I grabbed the flashlight and wondered out back following a set of foot prints that went back there and came back out. To my surprise I was missing two of the fuses.

That next weekend I started to change out the fuse panel to a circuit breaker one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Ordered these for the 700. I sure hope they fit. I kinda jumped the gun before researching. I know the lug pattern was good…..
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel
Font Automotive tire Plant Technology Gadget

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I think I’ll bump up to a 26” tire. Maybe 26x9 in front and 26x11 in the rear? Looking at prices and tread I like the sunf or the tyre guiders. Any input?

·
Registered
361 Posts
They are really nice looking rims. Opinions on tires? Everyone has one..
Pick the tires you can afford..

Reactions: bachman44

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Seems that sunf is really popular

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Well I went with efx motoforces. 26x8 and 26x10. Four new ones for $267 so I couldn’t not I guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
JEEZ, do you think a penny would fit in my Fuel Injection fuse slot?

61 - 79 of 79 Posts