Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700 Stock 2019 Kodiak 450 1.5” lift on 27s 2018 Kodiak 450 Stock
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. After I signed up I realized there is no 450 section so if this is 700 only, I’ll see myself out. I bought an 18 450 new and then met my gf and bought a 19 so we could ride together. We both love it. However, mine has seen conditions that it shouldn’t. We are in drought so me and a couple buddies went to the river to ride. Only a couple feet deep or less in 90% of it. But I found a hole. She went mostly under and it died. Got it out within 30 sec, checked the air box (dry) and drained the belt. Fired right up. I made it almost back home and it died, on dry land. Couldn’t hear the pump prime. Blows the fuel injection fuse immediately on the turn of the key. Towed it home, took it apart, cleaned and greased every connection I can find on the machine. Well it blows the 10 amp fuse still but it doesn’t blow a 15. However, the pump is very loud when it primes with the 15 amp fuse. It seems to run fine but I don’t want to run it for more than a few seconds. So, its pulling too much power somewhere? I know I haven’t contributed yet on the forum but I would like some advice on what to do next, besides stay out of the water. Thank you!

·
Registered
373 Posts
450s are allowed here lol, I have one myself.

I've been deep enough to flood the cvt multiple times but so far havnt had any issues like you're experiencing. Someone who knows better than I will come along with some suggestions.

Reactions: bachman44

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would love to have a 450,the only reason I bought a 700 is because of the base model.The 450 has all the power I would ever need, in fact they have the same pulling capacity. The base model 700 price is HARD to beat.
Oh yea, I have no idea about your problem,sorry. But someone here will be able to help..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I really like the 450s. They are nimble and I can pick the *** end up and slid over to fit in my garage just right lol. I don’t ever feel like I need more power with my stock tire and suspension set up. I do ride open gravel sometimes and wish wot wasn’t 55mph but oh well. Only 4-500 miles on them so far. No issues except for what’s my fault.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Might want to check the condition of all the wiring as well. It shouldn't be blowing a fuse it previously wasn't, Im guessing it's electrical?

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE with full Ricochet 10 piece skid plates, warn vr-x 25 winch.
149 Posts
Hey everyone. After I signed up I realized there is no 450 section so if this is 700 only, I’ll see myself out. I bought an 18 450 new and then met my gf and bought a 19 so we could ride together. We both love it. However, mine has seen conditions that it shouldn’t. We are in drought so me and a couple buddies went to the river to ride. Only a couple feet deep or less in 90% of it. But I found a hole. She went mostly under and it died. Got it out within 30 sec, checked the air box (dry) and drained the belt. Fired right up. I made it almost back home and it died, on dry land. Couldn’t hear the pump prime. Blows the fuel injection fuse immediately on the turn of the key. Towed it home, took it apart, cleaned and greased every connection I can find on the machine. Well it blows the 10 amp fuse still but it doesn’t blow a 15. However, the pump is very loud when it primes with the 15 amp fuse. It seems to run fine but I don’t want to run it for more than a few seconds. So, its pulling too much power somewhere? I know I haven’t contributed yet on the forum but I would like some advice on what to do next, besides stay out of the water. Thank you!
can u post some pictures please? I might have an idea even though I own a 700. I work on ATV's in my spare time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't know how hard it is to switch fuel pumps but could you take out yours and put your gfs in. How about using jumper wires from one bike to the other.Leave the pumps in just put extension jumpers, one bike to the other fuel pump and try that.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Do you have a multimeter? Ohm the wife’s pump and yours then compare the resistance to see if yours is going bad .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know how hard it is to switch fuel pumps but could you take out yours and put your gfs in. How about using jumper wires from one bike to the other.Leave the pumps in just put extension jumpers, one bike to the other fuel pump and try that.
That’s a good idea. Its accessible right on top of the tank I believe. I think I just take the screws out and lift it out. I’ll look into that.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE with full Ricochet 10 piece skid plates, warn vr-x 25 winch.
149 Posts
Sure! What photos would you like exactly?
A video of what it sounds like. Worst case scenario is the wires could be corroded or you have a frame short. I had one on my Honda Rancher ant it completely shut down. I had to push it 2 miles out of the woods and had it towed back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here’s a video. Sorry the air kicked on. The first one is the girlfriends and the second is the one with the issue. You can barely hear her pump prime but on mine it’s mound and it vibrates more. I went through and cleaned and greased every connection on the bike. No signs of corrosion anywhere. Maybe I got sand in a ground or ? Idk. It’s basically a new bike as far as being in the elements go. Except for the whole sinking in the river part. iCloud

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure how to post a video.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Truly a KODIAK forum! I have a 450 and a 700 and would not consider giving up either one. Both are capable beyond my talents at this point in life. Never seen any snootiness or arrogance on this site about the size of your rides JOHNSON!

• Haha
1 - 20 of 79 Posts