Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a little clacking type noise coming from the cvt area. Mainly just while deceleration.

I did get alot of water in the cvt about a year ago, drained the water and continued.

My thoughts are, possibly the weights, not having the correct amount of grease. Or something similar. It seems to not be too dirty though ;)

I will be taking it apart a bit more for investigation, but I have to work for a couple days.

Thanks for any advice

20200624_124930.jpg
20200624_124936.jpg
20200624_124954.jpg
20200624_124948.jpg

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ive made some progress in.
Does the grease look ok? From what I can see it looks ok. No wear marks on the weights, possibly like the dust has made it dirty. But I dont believe the noise is from this area.
20200730_123704.jpg

20200730_123727.jpg

20200730_124009.jpg

From the sound of this being spun counter clockwise, im feeling the one way bearing needs replacement. As my engine braking has been kinda iffy...

You think the one way is most likely the problem here?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Grease looks ok. Have you ever changed it? If not that would be a good idea.

One way bearing sounds normal to me as fare as I can tell on my phone. As it has cams not the typical rollers.

Have you been feeling you one way acting up while riding recently?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive not replaced the grease. I will do that.
Its a noisy chatter coming from the cvt area clearly, that hasnt always been there. Engine braking does cut out pretty often more recently.

Im at 440 hours, of lots of rocky downhills. And thats when the cvt is chattery. While in nuetral, it sounds very quiet. Never noisy while on the throttle.

From a few videos ive seen, people seem to replace the one way and the noises go away. But thought somone might have an idea other than that bearing.

·
Registered
613 Posts
From your description I would definitely change your one way bearing sooner then later. Only use an OEM part, all aftermarket are junk.

While your at it pop in some Grizzly weights and a 1 or 1.5mm of shims for good measure! ;)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Definitely change the grease. It was ivory white when it was new.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Definitely change the grease. It was ivory white when it was new.
Interestingly yellowish cream Yamalube grease, turns to grey after only 300-400 miles. Kinda odd.. So the grey is not necessary an indicator of age....just one of my observations over frequently evolving clutch mods earlier on.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, thanks. Ill update once fixed. And the upgrades arent a bad idea. But im addicted to riding and dont want to wait for parts lol

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
491 Posts
Interestingly yellowish cream Yamalube grease, turns to grey after only 300-400 miles. Kinda odd.. So the grey is not necessary an indicator of age....just one of my observations over frequently evolving clutch mods earlier on.
Agreed. It must get dirty from The cvt air intake

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys know the beat way to get this "one way bearing seal" out? Before i damage it with a screwdriver

The vids i watched, the one way just fell out easily

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Umm. Nevermind. A simple twist of a flat head, easily released

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got everything all cleaned up and put together, with 1.5 shim. Now this thing has amazing throttle and torque.

The one way bearing was the problem, i forgot how good the engine braking is on these machines with a brand new one way bearing.

And no more rattle in the cvt. Sounds great now

·
Registered
613 Posts
Got everything all cleaned up and put together, with 1.5 shim. Now this thing has amazing throttle and torque.

The one way bearing was the problem, i forgot how good the engine braking is on these machines with a brand new one way bearing.

And no more rattle in the cvt. Sounds great now
Awesome! Good for you. Yes 1.5 mm shims helps. You probably dropped your initial cvt ratio by 12%

Now next time your in there pop in some 18 or 20 gram weights and throw those heavy buggers away!

Reactions: Jssrvlz
1 - 13 of 13 Posts