Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Striker (coolant temp, hours, speedometer, and air temp) on my base model Kodiak. Installation was fairly involved but could be done in a day. Since my Kodiak is new to me, just trying to remove plastics takes time.

I tied it into the 12v power outlet so it’s activated by key on.

I installed the speedo in the brake rotor shield, driver side. There was one hole in the shield on the right side if you’re looking at it that perfectly fit the sensor. I used some blue loctight and bolted it. I used blue lock tire and the magnet onto the rotor, obviously close to the hub and out of the way of the caliper. Held up great with a day of rough and harsh riding. Mud, rocks, water. No problems.

I cut the coolant sensor into the lower hose, also driver side. Very easy to access.

I used the striker mounting bracket that came with it. It’s a standard bar mount. It’s very disappointing. It only grabs from one side so there is a lot of bounce and wiggle, no matter how much you tighten it. I just ordered the $60! metal mount for it. Hope it’s worth it!

·
Super Moderator
2,003 Posts
You'll like the striker, I have been running it for a couple of years now. My only problem is remembering how to reset what I want to reset and keep other things.

They didn't offer a mount other than what you have so I bent a piece of 2" channel iron and cut a notch in it. Then I mounted it on top of the dash cover. If I remember right you want it wired directly into the battery to save it's memory and not a keyed on source, at least that is where I have mine wired into and I haven't had any battery problems with it.

I did have a problem with water getting into the meter face during the warranty period. I contacted Trail Tech and they requested a picture. I sent them a picture of the problem and they sent me a new meter. Pretty good service, they didn't even want the old one back so I am still running the old one with the new one sitting on the shelf.

Just make sure on your cable down to the wheel that it doesn't contact the exhaust, I made that mistake and the first ride I burnt the wire in half and needed to get a new one.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think this is my next job. Well its on the list anyway..

Reactions: Saint_T

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JimP- I read that it has an internal battery to retain time and memory. This was validated when unboxing and the clock was on. Maybe this was an update over the years that you’ve had yours. Good call on fabricating a mount. Trail Tech should offer more mounts and more reasonable pricing IMO.

·
Super Moderator
2,003 Posts
No mine also has the internal battery but on their instructions it says to use a hot wire and not a keyed on source, it also said that the meter doesn't draw enough power to be a problem.

Mine has been connected to my main battery since I installed it a few years ago and I have had no problems doing it that way. Relying on the meters battery may shorten that batteries life, I am still on the original battery in the meter.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My Trail Tech Vapor is wired directly to the battery.

thats what the instruction said to do!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really appreciate the feedback. I’ll make the correction this weekend 👍🏻

·
Registered
90 Posts
No problem - by the way i see you bought the mount.

i added the mount to mine. I did paint the mounting bracket black as the plate came raw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts