Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Trail Tech Striker the other day and have been working on getting it installed on my basic model Kodiak. The first thing that I can say is that if you want a plug and go this isn't for you.

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/striker?find=yamaha-2016-kodiak-211626

It came with mounts for the handle bars and instruction on how to mount it to a flat surface such as the plastic cover that is on our handlebars. While this will work I decided to go a different route and build a mounting bracket so that it faced me better than a flat mount would. I'll get some pictures of the mount later after I get it painted. I lent my camera out to a friend that was taking a cruse and they haven't returned either to the US or the camera back to me.

The water temperature sensor is about the only thing that went easy. You just have to remove the front rack and plastic cover to access the upper radiator hose to cut it. I didn't drain any coolant out and only lost about 1/2 a cup when I cut the hose to mount the sensor into it.

The speedometer sensor is the fun one. You will have to remove the front hub from the drivers side along with the brake caliper to get the brake rotor off. Then using a 6mm allen head wrench you can remove one of the bolts and replace it with the magnetic bolt that they supply. They suggest that you use a exsisting hole in the rotor cover but I had to drill a hole in it. I should of remove it also and used my drill press but I just used a hand drill drilling a pilot hole first and then one for the pickup for the magnet.

The power to the unit is simple, that is except for trying to find a 0.5 amp fuse to protect it. I picked up a inline fuse holder and soldered it into the power cable and mounted a cable eye on the other end so that I could mount it directly to the battery. Trail Tech should supply a fuse and a holder in their kit and I'll send them off a email suggesting this. It would be a lot easier for them to buy a couple thousand of them and then supply one in the kit than it is for someone to try and find one.

So by the end of the week I should have some pictures of it up on here for the members here to check out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I received my Trail Tech Striker the other day and have been working on getting it installed on my basic model Kodiak. The first thing that I can say is that if you want a plug and go this isn't for you.

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/striker?find=yamaha-2016-kodiak-211626

It came with mounts for the handle bars and instruction on how to mount it to a flat surface such as the plastic cover that is on our handlebars. While this will work I decided to go a different route and build a mounting bracket so that it faced me better than a flat mount would. I'll get some pictures of the mount later after I get it painted. I lent my camera out to a friend that was taking a cruse and they haven't returned either to the US or the camera back to me.

The water temperature sensor is about the only thing that went easy. You just have to remove the front rack and plastic cover to access the upper radiator hose to cut it. I didn't drain any coolant out and only lost about 1/2 a cup when I cut the hose to mount the sensor into it.

The speedometer sensor is the fun one. You will have to remove the front hub from the drivers side along with the brake caliper to get the brake rotor off. Then using a 6mm allen head wrench you can remove one of the bolts and replace it with the magnetic bolt that they supply. They suggest that you use a exsisting hole in the rotor cover but I had to drill a hole in it. I should of remove it also and used my drill press but I just used a hand drill drilling a pilot hole first and then one for the pickup for the magnet.

The power to the unit is simple, that is except for trying to find a 0.5 amp fuse to protect it. I picked up a inline fuse holder and soldered it into the power cable and mounted a cable eye on the other end so that I could mount it directly to the battery. Trail Tech should supply a fuse and a holder in their kit and I'll send them off a email suggesting this. It would be a lot easier for them to buy a couple thousand of them and then supply one in the kit than it is for someone to try and find one.

So by the end of the week I should have some pictures of it up on here for the members here to check out.
I did something similar with a custom bracket for my bike:

http://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/members/1994-rollin-albums-trail-tech-picture321-custom-bracket.jpeg

I was able to install that speedometer sensor without removing anything other then the tire, it took a little while looking for the right spot in the rotor shield but I really didn't want to take to much stuff apart...

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like yours a little bit better than mine. I used a couple of L brackets bolted together so that I could pivot the gauge but might change it later.

On the speedometer sensor I had to pull things apart to get to the rotor bolt for the magnetic bolt, I couldn't see a way to remove one without pulling it off but it is in now and back together. It really didn't take that long but that axle nut is a bugger trying to get that indent that they use to lock it in place removed to remove the nut.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got it installed and all buttoned up, now I just need to go for a ride to see how she works.

For the mounting I went with a 3" piece of 1 1/2" angle iron with a slot cut in it. I liked the way that Rollin's picture looked so I scrapped my other mount that I had built. To get the extra bend in the angle iron I just used my vice and cranked on it to get the angle that I wanted.

Reactions: Frank DeMarco

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looks great. Those things are a lot smaller than I had imagined them being

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was surprised at its size also. I expected something about twice as big. When you read the spec sheet everything in in mm's and for this old dog it just doesn't compute in my head of how big things are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Jim. I am new to the forum. I purchased the trail tech voyager and I am about to attempt the install. I have done some reading and I am considering JB welding a magnet next to one of the rotor hubs and then installing the sensor as the instructions say. What do you think?

Also, you accessed the coolant hose from the top of the radiator how far away were you from where the radiator hose actually connects to the radiator.

Thanks again.
Frank

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny as this thread should pop up right now. I am in the process of contacting Trail Tech to return my Striker model due to excessive moisture build up inside the glass after riding in the rains last week in Arizona. I am hoping for a good outcome.

For the radiator hose if you take the front rack off and top plastic you will see the hose on the right hand side. I am not sure without taking it apart how close it was to the radiator but I just cut a 1" or so piece of the hose out to install the fitting. I can actually see the fitting with all the plastics put back on if I look at a cooling vent right where I place it. Riding it last week was quite interesting. The gauge would get up to around 205 when the thermostat would open and then drop back down to around 195 or so, but it never did get much hotter than the 205.

On the sensor that should work. I removed a rotor bolt and replaced it with the magnetic one. I also just drilled the dust shield to provide a hole for the sensor pickup. This worked well for me. My one problem with all this was that the supplied cord was a little short and in running it I got it too close to the exhaust pipe which quickly melted the wire. I solved this by ordering a longer piece of wire from the with the correct ends. I cut one of the ends off and using solder and heat shrink tubing splice the new piece in which gave me a lot extra wire to work with. I just coiled up the extra wire into the battery compartment.

I am curious if they supplied a 0.5 amp fuse with your Voyager. I sent them a email after my install and mentioned that it would be a nice extra to put into their items. I actually had a hard time finding one but finally did but all the fuse holders that I found were at least 18 gauge wire that I connected to their 26 ga wires from the computer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update on install

Thanks Jim. I understand where the radiator hose is based on what you described above. I have not installed it yet. I plan on doing so this weekend. I have decided to go a different route with the speed sensor. I am gong to attempt to attach some pictures. Would like your thoughts. Basically I took the nuts off of the sensor and then tie-wrapped the sensor to the dust shield vertically. I plan on JB welding a magnet to the inner rim of the tire. I am hoping that will work. I will test is this weekend. If it doesnt all I did was invest in some plastic ties and a magnet. (The reason I am going to try this route was not wanting to mess around with the hub - I dont have an impact wrench and I was not sure a crescent wrench would work. Way to worried about stripping that. I wondered if the wire for the sensor was long enough. The way I have it set up, it might give me a little more room. The way I have it harnessed is just to test it. I am going to cut the plastic ties and start over as I want to tape the wires and the white connector for additional protection

It did not come with a 0.5 am fuse. For 240.00 you would have expected that it would.

Take a look at the pictures and let me know what specific area you would recommend placing the cooling gauge. Please.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The speed sensor should work. All the magnet does is trigger a switch in the sensor part which provides a shorted signal to the computer.

So all you would need to do is to just attach the magnet to where you want it and then connect the wires to the computer and spin the wheel and see if you get any indication on the computer. If the screen is off it should come on when it senses movement.

I can't believe that they still are not providing a fuse and fuse holder. For me that was a pain in the rear to take care of.

On my problem with the moisture inside the meter all went well. I talked to Justin at Trail Tech and all they required was for me to email a copy of the purchase invoice and a picture of the unit itself. I already have a new one headed my way. Once I get it I'll return the defective one. It appears to be good customer service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts