Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with tracks on a Kodiak 700? Am thinking about getting a new 700 because of RPM and lugging power, but concerned about tracks on lower profile atv. I catch my tracks on the fender corners once on a while on my Grizzly and wonder if the clearance is less on the Kodiak? Would I be better off with a new Grizzly and just have dealer change clutch weights? Any help appreciated.
thanks
Dennis

·
Registered
46 Posts
Beings I haven't seen anyone reply, I personally don't have any experience with tracks on the Kodiak, however if you YouTube search cubbeezx he has some videos of Kodiak with tracks. Also if needed you could probably email them some questions. That's the only place I've seen Kodiak with tracks though.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
cubbeezx videos are 700 grizzly with tracks. can't remember if he had them on CK's 450 kodiak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have used Camoplast Tatou 4S tracks on my 2016 Kodiak 700 EPS SE for the last 2 winters. They are awesome!They'll take you just about anywhere you want to go in any conditions. I have had no troubles with the tracks contacting any of the body parts. That being said I'm not racing around at full throttle getting airborne and pounding down the ground.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
yup, you are right about them being on the kodiak. And that's the 450, watch some of their current vids, CK now uses Cubbie's old 700 griz with tracks, and he now has a 1000 canam with tracks.
grizzly with tracks will give you a good idea how the kodiak will behave with tracks.
Especially watching this couple , they drive with common sense.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have used Camoplast Tatou 4S tracks on my 2016 Kodiak 700 EPS SE for the last 2 winters. They are awesome!They'll take you just about anywhere you want to go in any conditions. I have had no troubles with the tracks contacting any of the body parts. That being said I'm not racing around at full throttle getting airborne and pounding down the ground.

Did you change the clutching on your machine to run tracks? Also have you replaced any of the small Bogie wheels? I just picked up a set of Used 2016 Camoplast T4S tracks from a buddy and it needs a couple new bearings in the small bogie wheels as they are seized. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
MNhunter are you thinking about using tracks for hunting and fishing? Last winter was so slushy in the beginning of the season that you have to wonder what the slush and frozen ice would do to performance or the durability of the tracks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
MNhunter are you thinking about using tracks for hunting and fishing? Last winter was so slushy in the beginning of the season that you have to wonder what the slush and frozen ice would do to performance or the durability of the tracks.
Comparing oranges to clementines here but snowmobiles do just fine in such conditions, a wheeler with tracks would likely do better.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Most tracks now are all season. Designed to work in mud, slush, snow, water and dry. Give everything a good coat of fluid film prior to winter use, water and slush won't stick as bad, making it easier to clean off after a day of riding. And if it does freeze on, it won't stick as well and should break free with very little throttle input.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
Comparing oranges to clementines here but snowmobiles do just fine in such conditions, a wheeler with tracks would likely do better.
I don't believe so. Quads do not have the track speeds required to power over really bad slush like our high power sleds do.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess I just would of figured that between the atv having near 3x the track on ground as the average (trail) sled, and having tracks on the front pulling it rather than just skis to push the atv would be a more capable unit, unless it was in deep snow.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I don't believe so. Quads do not have the track speeds required to power over really bad slush like our high power sleds do.
Technically that's incorrect, it all depends on the type of track that you purchase. The typical G4S and r4s tracks but 95% of the people purchase because that's the most easily attained products on the market, only allow for approximately 60% of your speed and when you get into tougher conditions such as heavy slush or heavy snow you're going to really reduce that. There is a company in Quebec Canada, I can't remember the name offhand, but they build tracks designed for high-speed ideally for Polaris and Can-Am but when I was in contact with them, inquiring about their tracks for use on my Kodiak 700 because it falls into the low end of their compatible engine size. These tracks allow for approximately 80% of your speed, they are still designed to handle higher torque levels, and things like deep snow and heavy slush are no match for them, they are very similar to riding a sled. Mind you the price on these tracks are a fair amount higher then the camso tracks, hence the reason I don't own the set.

Edit.... It bugged me, had to look it up... Track systems Canada. Check out the FB page for some cool vids.
When I talked to them last fall about pricing the guy couldn't be a 100% specific on prices because they were undergoing a change to their product line. And from what I see on the FB page, it definitely looks like their product line has changed. It now looks like their offerings are for an 850 CC and up, it used to be a 750cc with a minimum a 50 hp. But after talking to them, they said hour 48 HP grizzly / Kodiak should be capable of handling they're lower end track system

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I guess I just would of figured that between the atv having near 3x the track on ground as the average (trail) sled, and having tracks on the front pulling it rather than just skis to push the atv would be a more capable unit, unless it was in deep snow.
Comparing the two out in an open field it would be apples and oranges, a sled is going to Wade deep snow and slush easier then an ATV, but when you hit the trails in through the woods where sled cannot maintain high speeds and a TV is far more capable on tracks as it will power through deep snow and slush, whatever you throw at it, mind you it will be slow doing it but it will go where the majority of snowmobiles will not go.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah I was planning on using them for Ice fishing and screwing around in the woods when the snow gets too deep for just wheels. I'm definitely not concerned with high speed as I very rarely get over 30mph with regular wheels on. My luck though this year is we will get hardly any snow this year :ROFLMAO:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts