Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Super Moderator
I think that it is all going to depend on how the Kodiak does when in high gear. What I mean is if it feels like it is towing it alright then I would leave it in high, if it seams to have some problem getting it started I would switch to low.

Registered
I've heard that the clutch isn't fully engaged in high gear until you reach approx 9 mph with stock tires (higher speed with taller tires).
I'd suggest use low gear to get the rpms up sooner and fully engaged the clutch.
Another thing you could add that would help extend clutch life is a wet clutch slug kit.
It makes the clutch lockup quicker (at about 2 mph).
Skip ahead to the 33 min mark to see the slug kit install.
Follow the video if you decide to get the kit.

Registered
The tech guy at the dealer in Denver when I bought my 2016EPS told me when plowing snow (4-5mph) to use low range, and I think this train of thought would also apply to your mower towing.

Registered
I pull a #450 brush mower for pasture cutting. Throttle control is steadier in high at approx 4-5 mph and takes an hour and half. Should I be in low?
Low range is always best while riding at prolonged low speeds, especially when towing, hauling, working etc... . It will help prolong wet Clutch, sheave and belt life.

Registered
Low range is always best while riding at prolonged low speeds, especially when towing, hauling, working etc... . It will help prolong wet Clutch, sheave and belt life.
I was thinking about this the other day when I was bush riding in my 18 450. Much of the time I'm crawling at 5 to 9 k or so over roots etc. Is this ok to do for long times in low gear? With a load? Would a slug kit be a good preventative maintenance item?

Registered
I was thinking about this the other day when I was bush riding in my 18 450. Much of the time I'm crawling at 5 to 9 k or so over roots etc. Is this ok to do for long times in low gear? With a load? Would a slug kit be a good preventative maintenance item?

Low gear is always best for that application, it will help and prolong your CVT's components. I often use my Low range, especially with riding under 10km/h. That said, my area has alot of rough trails, hills and rocks.

I have no experience with slug kits myself but have heard alot good things about them. In my opinion they are not a " must" simply because you use your Atv for towing.

One thing that mite be beneficial is adding shims to your primary sheave as to get you starting in a slightly "lower gear" sorta speak.

Reactions: Primethious

Registered
Low gear is always best for that application, it will help and prolong your CVT's components. I often use my Low range, especially with riding under 10km/h. That said, my area has alot of rough trails, hills and rocks.

I have no experience with slug kits myself but have heard alot good things about them. In my opinion they are not a " must" simply because you use your Atv for towing.

One thing that mite be beneficial is adding shims to your primary sheave as to get you starting in a slightly "lower gear" sorta speak.
Yes the shim kit is on the way. If I can find the right brass weights, I might just do the wet side clutch while I have things apart for the shims. It seems like a low cost, low effort preventative thing to do to improve clutch life prospects. Although I imagine you're in a similar type of boreal shield terrain as I'm into, so if you've gotten away with stock wet clutch, I might as well.

Registered
Yes the shim kit is on the way. If I can find the right brass weights, I might just do the wet side clutch while I have things apart for the shims. It seems like a low cost, low effort preventative thing to do to improve clutch life prospects. Although I imagine you're in a similar type of boreal shield terrain as I'm into, so if you've gotten away with stock wet clutch, I might as well.
There are many thousands of hard working, hard playing kodiaks and Grizzlys out there with 15, 20 and even 30 000kms, all running their original wet clutchs without slugs. They are not a must have item for wet clutch reliability.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts