Afishyo. Sorry. Damn phone.

·
Registered
523 Posts
So let’s hear the story..

·
Registered
420 Posts
Come on man...Rob-c says get with the program. We all needa good one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahaha - Ok, guys, here you go... photos attached.

My lady-friend and I decided to head out for a day's ride. I on the Kodiak, she on her Outlander 570. We decided on the Lac du Bois Grasslands in Kamloops, BC. There are a few dirt/gravel/track routes that allow for off-road or capable 4x4 vehicles through the area, with a larger, car-friendly dirt road in between them. Normally, cars take the larger road to cut through.

We access the grasslands via a Forest Service Road, then take a branch that has been deactivated. Before the deactivation, you cross a creek on the quads - it's sketchy, and I never would have thought a car could get through there. A fork runs off this road to reach other areas in the grasslands, and we decided to take it to go toodly-doodly-do around and see the sights, some lakes, a rec area, etc.

With no drainage for the small lakes in the area, some parts of track become mud pits, which we can easily skirt on the quads. The kind of mud that you step in and lose your boot. That smelly clay mud that acts like quicksand.

Our loop finished, we were on the dirt track back to the creek crossing when we set upon a scene: 2 middle-aged ladies sunk into the mud in a Jeep Cherokee. Like I said, I don't even know how they crossed that creek. They had been there for over 5 hours. Neither of them had gotten out of the car.

They had called in a friend with a capable 4x4 truck, and he had tow straps wrapped around the axle of the Jeep because he couldn't find the hitch for all the mud. He couldn't haul it out. They were truly stuck, the front end buried in the mud acting as a giant suction cup.

"What choice do we have?" we thought as we surveyed the scene.

We dug out the back end with shovels and fetched fallen logs to shove under the tires. We had a little bit of 2x4, but not much. Suddenly, another truck turns up with snacks for the ladies stuck in the Jeep. "That's weird" we thought. He brought a foldable steel ramp he had gone off to purchase. But only purchased one. :oops:

An hour later, shaking our heads at the ridiculousness of the scene, we decided to try and pull the Jeep out again.

The quads were end to end with a short tow strap, the winch on the Can-Am hooked up to the main tow strap on the truck, and the truck far enough back from the mud. Dropped the gear and locked the diff. We gave it a try and the efforts bore fruit as the Jeep came free from the dank mud and the two ladies screamed and then began to thank God.

Our work done, we set off home. Passing the ladies in the Jeep, one of them stopped me and handed me a $50 bill for the effort. Se we stopped in town, and bought $50 worth of beer for the canoe trip were were taking the next day.

A nice ride back and I managed to snap that pic at the magic hour. Still can't believe that Jeep got through that creek.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Absolutely great 'yarn' . Well done
I must say I am jealous. LAC du Bois Kanloops BC. JEEZ I got northern Ozarks in Missouri. Wonderful limestone ridges and ravines with Walnut creek on my property. But you have me with a Royal Flush. Got to ski Whistler twice and lost a ski in the back bowls.Had to walk my arse out. Love your neck of the woods. Want to hang out with good DUDES like yourself. Lookin' out for the ladies.

·
Registered
420 Posts
May I politely inquire as to your choice of Beer. Not that I'm picky...any beer is good.

Reactions: Juddc and john zane

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh nice! That's so cool you hit up Whistler. Great place for skiing - even busier in the summer with all the hiking and mountain biking. Try the interior like Sun Peaks or Revelstoke if you like powder in the winter. Or lakes and rivers in the summer.

Your neck of the woods doesn't look too bad either. Gorgeous country.

Re: Beer - I believe it was the Yellow Dog Play Dead IPA, some Nudes, and Bud Light Radler for the afternoons. It all got drank!

Absolutely great 'yarn' . Well done
I must say I am jealous. LAC du Bois Kanloops BC. JEEZ I got northern Ozarks in Missouri. Wonderful limestone ridges and ravines with Walnut creek on my property. But you have me with a Royal Flush. Got to ski Whistler twice and lost a ski in the back bowls.Had to walk my arse out. Love your neck of the woods. Want to hang out with good DUDES like yourself. Lookin' out for the ladies.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well played young man.

Reactions: Juddc

·
Registered
523 Posts
Good thing you two came along to help out. And good call on the beer money.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I have seen folks get just a 2 wheel drive sedan stuck in some places that you would of thought that only a high clearance 4x4 would be. Quite often the drivers lack of knowledge on where they should and should not be works in their favor to get into these areas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts