Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My inexperience in cvt clutching will become apparent here. doing a lot of towing with my new Kodiak, mostly loads of wood uphill, between 300 and 500 pounds I would guess and the kodiak does just fine up my 30 deg hill that runs about 100 yards up my back yard. When it comes to trail riding I can feel that she wants to run a lot harder than she can and the clutch is holding her back. I want her to be free but still haul my trailer and loads of wood easy.
My question is that going lighter on clutch weights makes the clutch spool up and grab a lot quicker correct? but will it effect my gearing when it comes to towing?

·
Registered
129 Posts
There is a ton of writing and theory on the CVT clutching for the Grizzly and Kodiak.
Check out the related forums at grizzlycentral.com
One example :
http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/general-discussion/79689-school-me-cvt-clutches.html

By going lighter in weights you will basically need more engine RPMs to upshift your CVT. That will bring your engine in a portion of it's power band where you'll have more power available at the same ground speed, making your throttle response "snappier". In exchange the fuel economy may go down ...
The general consensus about this subject is that every rider has it's own preferences and needs for the style of riding he does ,and its best to try one thing at a time until you are happy with the results.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts