Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm looking for some of your opinions. I 'm in the process of buying new tires for my 2018 Kodiak 700 se ,I have always ran maxxis bighorn originals 25 in but I am also looking at the Kendra bear claw htr k 587 25 in . I ride all year round usual ride in the snow until we can't get thru anymore then we switch to groomed winter trails ,I ride all types of terrain mostly bush trails ,railway beds, hydro lines etc.., but lately we have been riding a fair amount of pavement because of our new storage area for spring riding I would say we now ride more pavement, of a typical ride we might cover 35 miles out of a 110 mile ride. I know the bighorns org. had been a great tire and handled all my riding styles extremely well, but now some of the other guys say that the htr 's might be a better tire for me ,so I'm looking for some opinions from some of you htr owners on how they are wearing , pros and cons ,do you ride similar conditions etc... . I know how my bighorns ran on my 2007 kodiak 450 se 3 sets and 25000 kms later on the atv when I sold it . So I have lots of experience on them . Also 25 or 26 Pros and cons? or even the same size tire all around?

I appreciate all opinions good or bad . And also for taking the time to reply. Thanks

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
473 Posts
You will get lots of input on this, I am cheap and I like the Bear Claws, great in every aspect in my opinion. I will admit that they are the only ones I have ever tried. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Since on one else has weighed in, I will mention that this is a well covered topic if you can search it on this site.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Here is a link with lots of info, and there are others also.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the bearclaws. I ride muddy hilly backwoods terrain. I also have a hundred yard gravel driveway that i rip up and down constantly at probably 30 mph, wear has been fine. But again i have only had my quad and htr's a few months. I have zero regrets buying these tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replying.
one question do they make the atv feel tipsy or top heavy compared to stock tires?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Most 6 plys will give you a firmer but much more stable ride. I noticed HUGE gains in stability with my Mudlite XTRs and PitBull Growlers compared to the crummy stockers

·
Registered
70 Posts
i would agree with the above, stable. I run stock size on mine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Most 6 plys will give you a firmer but much more stable ride. I noticed HUGE gains in stability with my Mudlite XTRs and PitBull Growlers compared to the crummy stockers
That's for sure, I'm only running 4.5psi in my Reptiles and they are FAR more stable than the stock tires. Even with 7psi in the stock fronts the tire would roll under the rim on a high speed corner, these 6ply radials Don't! I installed a set of 26" HTR's on my wifes Rancher so I can't comment on durability but they ride great and handle just as good as my Reptiles. I'm curious to see if they do as well in the mud as the Reptiles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies.
By the looks of it there aren't many guys that run with htr's or bighorn originals . I guess I'll have to make a gut feeling decision on which tire.

Also only one mentioned if they were running stock size or 26's . Only difference that I can see is that you loose top end speed and gain a little clearance. Is that right? I know the Grizzles run 26 but the have different weight in clutch to compensate the extra size but will it effect my bike that much if I go with 26's ?

·
Registered
703 Posts
You should be fine....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Bearclaw k299 25"

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
296 Posts
The new platform this forum is on, Has a great search feature. It will find lots and lots of previous tire discussions. Its like every few weeks someone is asking which tires to use, again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
another question. are the htr 's going to stick out beyond the fenders
I have the bearclaws. I ride muddy hilly backwoods terrain. I also have a hundred yard gravel driveway that i rip up and down constantly at probably 30 mph, wear has been fine. But again i have only had my quad and htr's a few months. I have zero regrets buying these tires.

View attachment 9570
The new platform this forum is on, Has a great search feature. It will find lots and lots of previous tire discussions. Its like every few weeks someone is asking which tires to use, again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I didn't realize the was a separate section for tire questions, I'm 68 years old and not to computer wizard like you younger guys. It said general discussion at the top of page so that's what I did, I asked the question. I have now read some of the 23 pages of the tire section but all the talk about is mud tires and sizes and clutching. No actual info on how they feel about the tires that they spent $600 + pros and cons etc ... I thought a forum like this was to help others make informed choices on atv products etc.
I thank all that took the time to reply to my question and I will try to figure this site out in the the future.

·
Registered
703 Posts
He was simply trying to be helpful for your cause is all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My HTRs do not stick out past the fenders, but these are stock size tires. Not sure if going up in size will cause them to.

·
Registered
530 Posts
27" zillas on my 700. Running 6psi. Absolutely zero complaints
26” Zillas here and love them also. I like 5.5lb’s in front and 4.5lb’s in the rear tires. Most of terrain here is sand or snow, they work awesome for both.

·
Registered
703 Posts
26 x 9" PitBull Growler at all four corners

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts