Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I’m looking at the weight of aftermarket tires and they’re much heavier than I expected. Sedona has the only light weight tires that I like. Now I’m looking for somewhere to source them mounted...
Just remember for $10 dollars and 1.5 mm of shim’s installed in your cvt will help you get back anything you loose in heavier tire’s.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm thinking about going with 14X7 4+3 on all four corners. Will these wheels fit properly on the Kodiak?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I selected steel wheels 4+3 offsets on my kodiak 700 with no problem..however I stuck with stock 12" rims. This will give 1/2 inch extra on each side also added 1" billet spacers on the front only to reduce understeer/ roll of front end . Went with Kenda BEARCLAW HTRS.. could not de happier with the handling. No clearance problems..

·
Registered
663 Posts
I’m looking at the weight of aftermarket tires and they’re much heavier than I expected. Sedona has the only light weight tires that I like. Now I’m looking for somewhere to source them mounted...
Maxxis zillas are not a heavy tire.that's one of the reasons I chose them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
By the way the Sedona tires are excellent products. I almost went with their Pro Radials.

·
Grizzled Mod
182 Posts
@Kokopelli
So, @Vincent steered me back to 12" wheels from 14s and I really appreciate what he did as 12" wheels will give you far greater tire volume in 25"-27" tire diameter size. Problem becomes for you when you are looking at something like those 28" Coyotes, which I agree look like incredible tires... assuming the Coyotes. I'd really like to also try out the Maxxis Carnivores but those only come in 28" at 14" wheels or bigger. Just make sure you are also looking at tire/wheel weights because that rotational weight can really rob your HP where you may need CVT mods to gain back low end torque. Something that Kodiak/Grizzly riders need to also be paying attention to because we don't have massive, unreliable HP/torque.

Reactions: RED KED HUSKER

·
Registered
297 Posts
Agreed.. I need low center of gravity and stable front end as I descend into a very steep down hill off camber trail to acsess the creek. Thus stability on off camber slopes is crucial. Ground clearance is not an issue for me thus I prefer standard size tires the slight increase off set with wheels and spacers increases track by 3 inches in the front. Rear track is the same so I can rotate the rear end with out increased resistance. Everything depends on the terrain you ride and the activities you use your ride for. Choose wisely.

Reactions: RedRocket

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
162 Posts
@Kokopelli
So, @Vincent steered me back to 12" wheels from 14s and I really appreciate what he did as 12" wheels will give you far greater tire volume in 25"-27" tire diameter size. Problem becomes for you when you are looking at something like those 28" Coyotes, which I agree look like incredible tires... assuming the Coyotes. I'd really like to also try out the Maxxis Carnivores but those only come in 28" at 14" wheels or bigger. Just make sure you are also looking at tire/wheel weights because that rotational weight can really rob your HP where you may need CVT mods to gain back low end torque. Something that Kodiak/Grizzly riders need to also be paying attention to because we don't have massive, unreliable HP/torque.
This is why I did 27” with stock SE 12” rims. It maximized the amount of rubber between me and the rocks, and isn’t too heavy, and is drivable without mods. But the mods made it more fun - lol! Ground clearance is pretty good with a 27” too, I think 12.5. Stiffen up the shock to maintain clearance in rough terrain, and go soft on air pressure for a tolerable ride.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Honestly, I'm looking for more of a street/off-road tire for this set. I need hard surface performance for this set. My plan is to use my stock wheels for real off-road stuff, replacing the tires later this year sometime. I like the Tusk Terrabite, but they are heavy. Therein lies my dilemma.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts