Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Why are so many folks going with taller tires than the stock 25"? Is it for more ground clearance?
Basically yes, and more rubber protection between the terrain and our wheels.

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
Why are so many folks going with taller tires than the stock 25"? Is it for more ground clearance?
More ground clearance, smoother ride, better selection, plus most tires run smaller than stated size when aired to normal low operating pressure, and 26 or 27" it's what should have come on these machines to begin with. A 25" is too small a diameter for the given power. 25" did a 350 or 450cc much better.

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
664 Posts
No problem at all. A lot of us run 27’s - especially since the Reptile runs a touch small. You can fit up to 30’s on these without fitment issues.

·
Registered
2021 Kodak 700 eps
65 Posts
Tech97 I have the same year and kodiak you have, last spring I installed the same reptiles you are planning on. The reptiles were a game changer for me,! No more mushy feel, superior traction and grip. Just an all around great tire, I have no regrets on getting them.

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
664 Posts
Sorry if I'm late to the conversation, but what are opinions on Sunf. On Amazon, they have great reviews and a full set is under $400. I ride primarily on trails - not the gravel road kind either. Snow is not an issue since I run tracks in the winter for plowing. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X151W5...colid=HBS85HVTGT2O&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Over the years, a few guys have ran them on here. Seems ok for the price. Pretty sure it’s a bias-ply tire. Seems like they don’t wear forever, but if you only ride a few hundred miles every year…
I’m quite happy with the 27” Reptiles on the Kodiak and on the Grizzly. Did some technical rock-climb black-rated trails last week with the Griz, running skinny Reptiles. Never missed at all. Total confidence. And I’m getting around 22mpg with the lighter rear tires

·
Registered
2016 Kodiak EPS, 26”HTR’s, 18g, EHS airbox/tuner, Barker Slip on.
11 Posts
I went with HTR’s and they are no comparison to the stock Maxxis. The main reason was I wanted a radial, I’m not into deep mud riding, I ride solo a lot, didn’t want any flats. I wanted a top tier tough trail tire that’s good on a variety of terrain. I did go up to a 26 and I think I added about 63 lbs of weight with them but I haven’t noticed it hurting the performance.
I just put a little over 100 miles at Hatfield McCoy with them and couldn’t be happier. I ran 4 lbs all around. They rode great at that pressure and bite hard. No complaints what so ever.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts