Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m ditching the stock tires on my 2022 kodiak 700 SE and I’m having a heck of a time deciding. I need an all around good tire. Trails, plowing. More rocks then mud. I also don’t want to tear up my grass. I was thinking about thr Kenda bear claw htr’s. Nothing too heavy or stiff as do not want to ride a tank. You’re opinion is appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
664 Posts
Several of us have enjoyed Reptiles. But they can damage grass. I have did some rocks and they climb good. Handle mud good. Ride nice. Lots of other good options though. How many miles would you put on every year? Any pavement?

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
I run the reptiles, they work great in all conditions. Worked very well in snow. They will treat the grass some, but to be honest, all tires will with a locked rear diff. The key is wide turns and lite throttle.
The htrs are a great choice, my second pick actually, .only because they are under 1" lug, and my reptiles were 1". I do highly recommend you stick with a radial tire, they cost more but they will outlast more than 2 sets of bias, they are more puncture resistant and handle much better.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I've also had great results beating the crap out of my new skinny square Repiles set up!

Reactions: JD864

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
664 Posts
Seems like that HTR is an 8 ply. Different manufacturers do it different, but in principle, that’s a stiff tire. I like a tire that gives a little. The Reptile let’s me hit small rocks and roots without breaking bones. And it handles trail jumps, hard corners, etc.
The sidewall does flex some. It is not as stiff as a Zilla on a 14” rim. Thank God. I like my teeth.
Other option is Big Horns. Great tire. Or go stiffer to Growlers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Several of us have enjoyed Reptiles. But they can damage grass. I have did some rocks and they climb good. Handle mud good. Ride nice. Lots of other good options though. How many miles would you put on every year? Any pavement?
Not sure on the mileage, at least 500 a year. I do ride some pavement including plowing my driveway. They don’t have to last forever, I’m more concerned with ride quality which Reptiles seem to have. I do prefer the 6ply as well.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The Reptile runs small. I would do 27” if you go that route. They are pretty affordable for a radial.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Do you know what yours measure? I wasn’t going with 27s unless they really ran small. I have the stock Yamaha 12” aluminum rims.
They are indeed small vs stated size

My 27 x9 r12 reptiles measure 25.5" tall on the bike @ 4.5 psi

Reactions: JD864

·
Registered
664 Posts
Mine too. And I also like 4.5psi most of the time. Then bump your spring setting up to 3 instead of 2. Fixes the tippy feeling.

It has plenty of power for the height and weight. But the Kodiak has sluggish power delivery from the CVT setup. You could benefit from a couple minor mods to really turn those tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow so the 26” wouldn’t even be going up in size then. This is very useful information. Thanks
I’m thinking either the Reptiles,HTRs, or Terracross. I’m also interested in the Traxion Gripper Max but having some trouble finding them. My stock Maxxis tires are going for $180 a piece! That’s more then anything I’m looking at. I found that strange since they’re 2 ply

·
Registered
2020 Kodiak 700 EPS SE, Tactical Black, 26-9R12, 26-11R12 Traxion Gripper Max Radials, light bar
27 Posts
I run Traxion Gripper Max. I have almost 4500 km on my first set, swapped out the OE when I got the machine. Running mostly rough trail, rock and some mud. They are great on rock and dirt , pretty decent for getting through mud . Just replaced them , due to cut sidewall on very sharp limestone. Had just under 50% tread left, but was wanting to change size at the end of the year. 26x9-12 29x11-12 now 27x9-12 27x10-12.

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
Wow so the 26” wouldn’t even be going up in size then. This is very useful information. Thanks
My 26" reptiles on OEM 12" aluminum rims are almost exactly 26" at 6psi
I've seen 27" now measure 26.25 to 26.75 at 6psi on 3 other bikes. I think a 26 is the truest in size and 27 runs a bit small. I've only seen one set of 25" they were 25.5ish at 15psi, so trueish at operating pressure would be my guess.
I've seen one set of 30s on 14 wheels, no way to measure but looked closer to same or smaller than 29" bighorns on sxs next to it

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
Ok after further research and opinions I think I’ve decided on the Retiles. Just need to decide 26 or 27. Which would be better in snow?
Won't really make any difference in the snow. But if I have one suggestion just go with the 27s don't even question it.
I can honestly say I think you're making a great decision The reptiles turned out to be a much better tire than I initially expected I've been very very happy with them. They make a great all-around tire awesome on the trails great and wet conditions and snow and just enough traction to get you through some pretty bad mud holes if you are mainly a trail rider and not a mudder. They will still hold their own in the mud Just obviously not quite like a dedicated mud tire. Just a fair warning to you that when their first new like most tires and they still have sharp edges on the lugs They will throw rocks like crazy, but it does eventually calm down. Lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently went from stock 25’s to Quad Boss 26’s. No one on here really recommended them but I liked them. So far I really like them at my deer lease and on a trip to Montana and Wyoming trail riding. Only thing I’ve noticed is I get a little more dirt in my face.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts