Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks.
I am looking to get some tire recommendations given what we use our atv for.

We dont know much about atvs. In the past we have always done this ahorseback. We do not trail ride or play with the atv at all.

The atvs primary use is to transport and unroll 1200 lb+ bales of hay on uneven, hilly ground in summer, fall and winter. And to transport us to cattle pastures to move cows and electric polywire.

See attached photos.

My current tires, which we are pretty happy with are Maxxis MU19 and MU20. I think they are stock tires. They may not make them any more.

We need tires with good puncture resistance. I have been told that radial tires might be a must. We have lots of thorns and brush stems that have been cut by bush hog to drive through. Would like to get the least expensive tires that will get the job done and last awhile. Our current tires are 5 years old and have treated us pretty well.

Need good traction on solid, slick surfaces. Some muddy conditions and some ice and snow in the winter. We are in south central Missouri so generally there isnt suppose to be much snow and cold...except for this year!

From a prior thread I found the following recommendations:
Interco Reptile 6 ply Radial Tire 25x8-12, weight 22 lbs
Interco Reptile 6 ply Radial Tire 25x10-12, weight 27 lbs

Kenda Bear Claw HTR 8 ply Radial tires
25x8R-12, 8 ply, weight= 20.9 lbs
25x10R-12, 8 ply, weight= 25.3 lbs

Thank you in advance for your kindness.
Happy trails, Mike

vivian bale cart.jpg
bale cart & atv.jpg

·
Registered
342 Posts
I vote Kenda HTR’s for what you do..

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
180 Posts
Having run the Reptiles for a while, they probably don’t fit your application the best. After a typical trail ride, I am 2-3x’s as muddy as my friends. The Reptile grips well, but WOW does it throw the mud!! Also, it doesn’t have the life of some other tires.
I will gladly report that I have climbed some muddy hills and rocks that my friends were not able to get over... then I pulled them over. So, the grip is there!!
The HTR should have better life, or the original Bighorn would meet your needs very well. The Bighorn is a radial, which has some advantages.

·
Grizzled Mod
212 Posts
@rancherMike here is a 25" ATV tire shootout done in 2018 using a Kodiak 700. This might be of interest to you. Seems a lot of the categories might fit your usage well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use bighorn originals since 2007 which I find do everything right for my riding style, however I think the kenda htr would be a good choice as they are cheaper and have a good reputation which is what you want and would fill your needs. good luck

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@RedRocket, I found this video that might be helpful as well.

I wished they'd had the Maxxis in the tests. Is the Maxxis Bighorn comparable to what we have on the atv now?

·
Registered
872 Posts
This is an older video that was posted a few times before

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
180 Posts
The Bighorn has 1” deep tread blocks, and is known for its durability. The OEM tire is maybe 1/2” tread. Many SxS’s come with Bighorns.
If the tread pattern on the Bighorn doesn’t float your boat, the Bighorn 3.0 has a more modern pattern designed for trail riding, and is slightly more aggressive. But the original is the the version known for its long life and rugged durability.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I run Maxxis Zilla's and they have been great so far but have no long term experience yet. Good luck on your tire search.

Steve........

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm wondering if maxxis mud bugs would fit the op's criteria. They are a good tire on many surfaces and have excellent tread life.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Bighorn has 1” deep tread blocks, and is known for its durability. The OEM tire is maybe 1/2” tread. Many SxS’s come with Bighorns.
If the tread pattern on the Bighorn doesn’t float your boat, the Bighorn 3.0 has a more modern pattern designed for trail riding, and is slightly more aggressive. But the original is the the version known for its long life and rugged durability.
@JD864, are you referring to the tire being marketed as the, Maxxis Tire Bighorn 2.0?

·
Registered
180 Posts
@JD864, are you referring to the tire being marketed as the, Maxxis Tire Bighorn 2.0?
The Bighorn 2.0 is the same tread pattern as the Original. It’s just cheaper rubber, and doesn’t last as long. There is a Bighorn 3.0 out there - try Rocky Mountain ATV. I believe it will wear like the 2.0, but it hasn’t been out very long, so who knows...
My guess is that Maxxis wanted to offer a less expensive tire. Also, if they never wear out, nobody buys new ones. The reviews on the original Bighorn are pretty good.

·
Grizzled Mod
212 Posts
The original BigHorn is a pretty decent trail tire. Is it perfect at everything, no. It is fairly expensive and does last quite a while. For strengths, I would say trail dry hardpack, dry loose and rocky, moderate mud and fairly good at rock crawling. In snow it does pretty well. Although I don't do mud bogging, I understand specific mud tires will greatly outperform the BigHorn but that is going to be true for almost every trail tire. Not sure why Chaparral didn't test the original BigHorn as it is a really popular tire. Maybe Maxxis would not allow it or wouldn't provide a test set???

One area I really wish Chaparral tested was rock crawling and snow traction. I understand not being able to test snow, but rock crawling? I will also say that I'm shocked the ITP Terracross tires even came in a mid-pack as a result of the shootout. My current Grizzly, I bought used one year ago, came with those tires in 26x14". I absolutely felt those tires didn't excel on trail where I ride. You could not pay me to run those tires again. Maybe I would have had better luck in a 12" version of the Terracross but I'm not willing to potentially waste money finding out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The Bighorn 2.0 is the same tread pattern as the Original. It’s just cheaper rubber, and doesn’t last as long. There is a Bighorn 3.0 out there - try Rocky Mountain ATV. I believe it will wear like the 2.0, but it hasn’t been out very long, so who knows...
@JD864, I'm sorry I am confused about the Bighorn tires.

Is the 2.0 the replacement for the original? And are you saying the 2.0 cheaper rubber and doesn't last as long as the original?

I can't find the tires that I currently have on the atv offered for sale. They don't say they are Bighorns on them. Just Maxxis MU19 and MU20.

It looks like the 3.0 isn't offered in a 25.

Gee wiz, I cant believe how expensive these little tires are!

·
Registered
688 Posts
OP, if you are satisfied with stock tires, check your dealer for new take offs. Dealers usually have a glut of factory tires taken off new machines because the buyer wants better tires before ever leaving the showroom. They are more often than not,pretty cheaply priced so they don't accumulate. Last time I was at my local dealer, they were selling them for $60 each.

·
Registered
872 Posts
@JD864, I'm sorry I am confused about the Bighorn tires.

Is the 2.0 the replacement for the original? And are you saying the 2.0 cheaper rubber and doesn't last as long as the original?

I can't find the tires that I currently have on the atv offered for sale. They don't say they are Bighorns on them. Just Maxxis MU19 and MU20.

It looks like the 3.0 isn't offered in a 25.
He is not talking about your original oem tires..... He is talking about the first generation Maxxis Bighorns tires which most refer to as Bighorn Originals. Later on Maxxis developed the cheaper , lighter, less durable version witch is called the Bighorn 2.0.

·
Grizzled Mod
212 Posts
The Maxxis BigHorn (original) tire is probably the most popular version. The BigHorn 2.0 is a lighter weight version of the same tread pattern as the original but the lugs are shorter. The BigHorn 3.0 is a very different tread pattern and is somewhat newer so hasn't been around for longterm usage. The Maxxis MU, I think, is only a manufacturer sold tire to put on new OHVs. Many people will sell them as new take-offs.

EDIT: looks like a couple replies with similar info before I hit 'enter'

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Think I figured something out. I think the tires most similar to what I have on the atv now are the Maxxis Bighorn M917 and M918. Whew! I was in tire hell for awhile there. Wow these Maxxis Bighorn tires are EXPENSIVE!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sorry if I sound like a salesperson but I put the Kenda bearclaw HTRs on my 700. Had them balanced and I could not be happier with them. Also considered Pitbull Growlers, Sedona Pro Radials (really wanted to try these) , Bighorns, etc. Seem optimal for my terrain..rocky, woodedwith ravines/ creek gravel. Not a primary mud tire but hasn't yet let me down. Hope this helps confuse your choices further.
Agree with Rob-c.

·
Registered
32 Posts
bighorns org will do what you want but are expensive they do everything very very well, always been my first choice but I did suggest the kenda htr which are cheaper and do most things very well also.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts