Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So earlier in the year I had a nice thread on here getting tire advice. My 1st choice was Growlers... couldn’t get them. 2nd choice was Reptiles. I got them in 27” size. Seems they are significantly out of balance / out of round. I’m seeing if Discount Tire will help. If not, I will probably be shopping again. Not real happy. Might look at those HTR’s or Big Horns. Any tips?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Zillas! :)

Reactions: JD864

·
Registered
278 Posts
I’ve read where some have had to balance their HTR’s. Not many but just a FYI. But having said that if I was going to run a trail tire I would go with the HTR,s .

·
Super Moderator
142 Posts
The first thing you should ask yourself is what is the intended purpose of the tires?

Based on the tires you are mentioning, I would suggest you are looking primarily at a trail tire?

I've also read of issues where HTRs need to be balanced but I have no personal experience with them. BigHorn original tires are a very good trail tires and last, but they are not cheap and my opinion is that they are OK in snow and I've heard the same about mud holes. Would I buy them again, yes, but I'm not dedicated to them. I actually would like to find a tire that is a bit better with rock crawling and potentially better in snow but I'm probably chasing a unicorn.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I put Kenda HTRs in the stock sizes and had them mounted and balanced for 10$ per tire. The difference in weight to balance was significant. 40$ to balance for long term wear seems an easy choice.

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have to see if Discount will balance these. If they can take care of it.. maybe I won’t have to trade. I’m satisfied with the grip, etc. But I finally figured out my handling problem. Tires bouncing up and down!! Lol!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So Discount Tire remounted both fronts and turned them on the wheel. They added weights to balance 1. The other... we will see. Hoping to ride this wknd. So far, they seem 75% better. And that’s probably as good as I can expect for an aggressive tire.

·
Registered
278 Posts
So Discount Tire remounted both fronts and turned them on the wheel. They added weights to balance 1. The other... we will see. Hoping to ride this wknd. So far, they seem 75% better. And that’s probably as good as I can expect for an aggressive tire.
Since there still not right try shooting kenda a email telling them what’s going on and what you’ve done to remedy it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tires on the mud side of the trail/mud spectrum can never rightly be expected to have balance as good as a tire with not only less tread "bars" but also shallower tread. Its just the nature of the beast.

That being said, ive read multiple people report that their oh-so-awfully out of balance diggers were somewhat remidied by partially over-inflating the tires and leaving them in the beating sun all day.. then after deflating back to whatever their preferred pressure is the tires rode much better.

My mega mayhems are pretty well out of balance, whole rig gets a shimmy around 30-35, only noticeable on pavement or hard pack. It hasn't bothered me enough to personally test the process outlined above.. but I might give it a shot next year.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Zillas have a pretty aggressive tread, at 50MPH on hardtop they are as smooth as you could ask for. My riding is all over the place, hardtop, mud, technical rock, and hardpack, for me they are a great all around tire. If I wear these out I'll probably go back with the same..

·
Super Moderator
337 Posts
Since there still not right try shooting kenda a email telling them what’s going on and what you’ve done to remedy it.
Pretty sure kenda will tell him to go pound dirt. He would have much better luck contacting Interco since they make reptiles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
337 Posts
Tires on the mud side of the trail/mud spectrum can never rightly be expected to have balance as good as a tire with not only less tread "bars" but also shallower tread. Its just the nature of the beast.

That being said, ive read multiple people report that their oh-so-awfully out of balance diggers were somewhat remidied by partially over-inflating the tires and leaving them in the beating sun all day.. then after deflating back to whatever their preferred pressure is the tires rode much better.

My mega mayhems are pretty well out of balance, whole rig gets a shimmy around 30-35, only noticeable on pavement or hard pack. It hasn't bothered me enough to personally test the process outlined above.. but I might give it a shot next year.
Inflating and leaving them in the sun is not going to help him his tires are radial not bias ply.

The OP problem definitely seems to be mismounted on the rims causing improper balance I have the same reptile tires as him but in 26s instead of 27s and mine are smooth as can be with no balance out anything.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Pretty sure kenda will tell him to go pound dirt. He would have much better luck contacting Interco since they make reptiles.

Well sir you are 100% correct , apparently his last sentence of trying HTR’s stuck in my head. Lol....

Reactions: CanadianKodiak700

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got about 20 miles in this wknd. If I wasn’t focused on them, they would be just great. But now I’m really sensitive to wiggles in the front end. Honestly, they are fine. My friend rode it for a couple miles, and he didn’t notice anything off. I think I’m OK with it. They are an aggressive tread, and are riding pretty good now.
I will admit to over-inflating to avoid flat spots in the garage. I think it does help some.

·
Super Moderator
337 Posts
Well sir you are 100% correct , apparently his last sentence of trying HTR’s stuck in my head. Lol....
Glad you got laugh out of that comment. I didn't mean it to sound like an insult or calling you stupid or anything. Lol but sometimes people read it in a different context than was ment.
I actually read what you wrote and was like wtf is he talking about? Then went back and saw exactly what you mentioned about the htr post. Lol

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Super Moderator
337 Posts
I got about 20 miles in this wknd. If I wasn’t focused on them, they would be just great. But now I’m really sensitive to wiggles in the front end. Honestly, they are fine. My friend rode it for a couple miles, and he didn’t notice anything off. I think I’m OK with it. They are an aggressive tread, and are riding pretty good now.
I will admit to over-inflating to avoid flat spots in the garage. I think it does help some.
Shouldn't have to worry about flat spots as much, they are radial not bias. They will hold shape very well, just another advantage to a radial tire.
I'm running 6psi in mine, I'm 300+ lb, plus a rear storage seat with prob 30lbs of essentials in it (axe, TP, plug kit, compressor, etc)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Glad you got laugh out of that comment. I didn't mean it to sound like an insult or calling you stupid or anything. Lol but sometimes people read it in a different context than was ment.
I actually read what you wrote and was like wtf is he talking about? Then went back and saw exactly what you mentioned about the htr post. Lol

Nope not a problem. there’s enough misinformation out on the web, without me having a brain fart to add to it :rolleyes:

Reactions: CanadianKodiak700

·
Super Moderator
337 Posts
Nope not a problem. there’s enough misinformation out on the web, without me having a brain fart to add to it :rolleyes:
Misinformation on the internet... That is so true.

You can't believe everything you read on the internet... That's how world war 1 got started

·
Registered
3 Posts
So earlier in the year I had a nice thread on here getting tire advice. My 1st choice was Growlers... couldn’t get them. 2nd choice was Reptiles. I got them in 27” size. Seems they are significantly out of balance / out of round. I’m seeing if Discount Tire will help. If not, I will probably be shopping again. Not real happy. Might look at those HTR’s or Big Horns. Any tips?
I just got black mambas put on my 2016 700 and they are great with heavy sidewalls, I got them at discount tire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts