Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see where the recommended inflation pressure on my 2019 Kodiak 700 is right at 5 psi and the tires themselves are marked for a maximum pressure of 36 psi. Has anyone toyed around with pressures within that range and if so, with what result?

·
Registered
294 Posts
From what I can tell, those high pressures are only for seating the bead if you change the tire. Ive ran 10 psi before in stock tires. Its just quite a rough ride. I think i stay around 6 psi.

Im curious if anyone has tried riding with 30 psi lol

·
Registered
530 Posts
From what I can tell, those high pressures are only for seating the bead if you change the tire. Ive ran 10 psi before in stock tires. Its just quite a rough ride. I think i stay around 6 psi.

Im curious if anyone has tried riding with 30 psi lol
That’s correct about seating the beads never run them with that much air. Your owners manual recommends 4 psi

·
Registered
472 Posts
I put chains on my tires all winter long, and before I do, I let all the air out, put the chains on tight as I can and then put air in to 10 LBS. That holds the chains tight, and keeps them from moving around. I don't know if that is acceptable but I need traction!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I put chains on my tires all winter long, and before I do, I let all the air out, put the chains on tight as I can and then put air in to 10 LBS. That holds the chains tight, and keeps them from moving around. I don't know if that is acceptable but I need traction!
That's what your supposed to do. I do it on all my snowblowers to.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think I've got about 8psi in mine and they run great. They don't seem rough to me and the sidewall is nice and stiff when handling tight turns.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I have 26" reptile radials on my kodiak, I believe 8psi is max operating pressure. I had the shop put 20psi in to seat beads. Brought tires home, installed on bike, ate supper and forgot to drop pressure before I test drove..... **** near shattered my teeth.... They were rough. Dropped to 5 & 5.5 psi, ran for a month but found to squishy, in a pretty big guy too, so it's really noticeable. Trying 7psi right now, seems nice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Primethious

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bumped tire pressures up to 10 psi and cranked shocks up to maximum stiffness to help handle the weight of a snowplow I built for the machine. I used a 3-in piece of square tubing bolted to the receiver hitch and a heavy steel plow hinge (including pulleys, etc.) arrangement hung on the front Warn Winch mounts. I made the plow blade out of some old style hot water heater tanks I had in my ranch junk pile and used a piece of worn out grader blade for a cutting edge. It is a pretty heavy unit but that's what I need for about a half mile of rough gravel driveway. I tested it out the other day in some 6-inches of snow - rather gingerly as I didn't relish the thought of hitting something that might stop the machine, but not its operator. The Kodiak 700 pushed it all with complete authority, though it didn't like my slow pace very much. The Warn winch is a bit fast, making plow height adjustments a little tricky.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Did you try Low gear? It might like the slow pace better in Low.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even in low gear at barely above an idle it seemed a tad fast for my first snow plowing experience with the Kodiak. I'm assuming I can pick up the pace as I get more comfortable with it. My plow mount is easy on and off - just a 1-1/2-in nut atop a big bolt through the trailer ball hole in the receiver hitch and the winch line. The 10 psi tire pressures and stiff suspension aren't hardly noticeable without the plow mounted. I think I like the stiffer ride better than the factory settings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts